Random Music Thoughts IV

Mike

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for some reason I woke up this morning and started singing "Temptation Eyes" by the Grass Roots and I haven't heard that song in a long time, but it was like stuck in my brain. Guess that means I need to hear it or something. :P

That happens to me sometimes - I'll think of a song I haven't heard in years, and the next thing I know it'll be on the radio when I get in my truck...

Although I've just returned from a long sabbatical from site, I can't find any threads (so far) on 'Post-Rock'. Anyone hear into this great genre?

If unsure what bands are considered post-rock, here's a small list of ones that seem more popular (although doesn't mean they are any better) -

• Explosions in the Sky
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    Tracer AMC
    Russian Circles
    This Will Destroy You
    65daysofstatic
    Do Make Say Think
    Maserati

I've only heard the first two from your list. I like Godspeed You Black Emperor.

I would strongly recommend Slint, whose classic album "Spiderland" is only now being acknowledged as the other "most influential rock album of 1991".

I also really like what I've heard of Low, whose album "The Great Destroyer" is one of the more mainstream/accessible examples of the post-rock genre.

Shellac (featuring thelegendarySteveAlbini); do they count as post-rock? I'm never quite sure how the genre is defined. They seem to possess some of the features at least; quiet/loud dynamics, unusual structures/time signatures, etc. Anyways, I like to listen to Shellac from time to time.

I also have time for Sigur Ros, who were totally compelling when I saw them live in Leeds City Varieties theatre a few years ago.

I would welcome further discussion/advice on "post-rock", especially recommendations. I like what I've read / heard of Mogwai, for example, but don't know the best starting point and I'm loathe to shell out alot of dosh for the wrong album.

I've only dipped my toes in the water of post-rock so far, but I would like to immerse myself a bit further. About knee-deep would do.

Didn't know where to put this, but since I've noticed some "Kula Shaker Fan Club" developing round these parts, here is a recent review of their new album.

Kula Shaker

Strangefolk

(Strangefolk) £10.99

Britpop-era stars Kula Shaker's decision to reform certainly shows chutzpah. After making a splash with their debut K, a collection of cod-Indian psychedelic rock as gratifying as a tandoori pot noodle, they became one of Britain's least-loved bands, the result of a pretentious follow-up album and obnoxious frontman Crispian Mills. Strangely, then, Strangefolk isn't awful. The lyrics are as fatuous as ever - 'I'm a dic, dic, dic,' sings Mills on 'Great Dictator (Of the Free World) ': you tend to agree - but musically they've ditched the hippy-mystical bombast for a softer sound with shades of the Beach Boys. Who knows, they may find musical redemption yet.

Hugh Montgomery

in "The Observer" 19/08/07