Random Music Thoughts IV

Mike

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at a friend's last night: despite only having a fairly "compact and bijou" residence and fewer children than I, my mate has somehow contrived to get his own "music and chill-out" retreat up on the top floor, complete with mirror-mosaic (across an entire wall), various psychedelic light-show gizmos and whatnot. The jammy bleeder.

Anyway, there we were talking some stuff and nonsense whilst listening to some real cool gear, including: Erykah Badu's "Baduism", Lee Scratch Perry's "Dub Triptych" album :bow: , Os Mutantes, the latest Yo La Tengo.....Well I must have been well off my box, 'cos my mate slipped in a few tracks from an Emerson Lake and Palmer "Live" album and I found it reasonably tolerable under the circumstances. :blush: :P

Got bummed out last night, was flipping channels and a commercial for some car was on and the song being played was Barracuda from Heart. Yet another one of my favs selling out a song for a lame car commercial. I'm still wondering why John Mellencamp sold out, but I still love them and will keep listening to their music. I just hate to see great songs in lame commercials. :P

I think we discussed this sort of thing about The Who a long time ago. We may put these songs on pedestals, but to the writers/artists they're just some song they wrote 20 years ago. Someone wants to give me $1,000,000 to use it in a commercial? Why wouldn't you take it? It's not a lot different from selling an album, or a concert ticket. Or a concert t-shirt, for the love of god.

Oh I know it's for the money and all, but I just guess I am lame or something and think that a writer/artist should not be so quick to sell out...or at least not to some lame commercial. And for the most part the song never fits the commercial. But I'm not famous and just a chick who likes music and hates to see it be used in such a stupid way. What do I know... :P

I think we discussed this sort of thing about The Who a long time ago. We may put these songs on pedestals, but to the writers/artists they're just some song they wrote 20 years ago. Someone wants to give me $1,000,000 to use it in a commercial? Why wouldn't you take it? It's not a lot different from selling an album, or a concert ticket. Or a concert t-shirt, for the love of god.

Oh, I dunno, Das. My own songs are very special to me. If somebody offered me a million quid to use one in an advert, I'd have to think long and hard about it.

Let me clarify my point a little bit:

You're Pete Townshend and you write "Bargain". The record sells a lot, it's a hit at shows, it's on the radio constantly. It goes down as an all-time classic, still played on the radio 35 (or however many) years later. You've played it live 3,000 times in your life. Whatever personal meaning the song had originally has been mostly stripped away over the years, and you're sick of even playing it.

Then, today Buick offers you a million bucks to put the song in an ad. What would you do?

I agree with Shawna and B-F, that writing is personal. And there are some things I'd never consider "selling" - something incredibly emotional about my wife or daughter. Something a little less personal? I can buy my wife that apartment in Paris with just a signature? Why the hell not.

isn't there a point (25 years or something) when things become public... I'm saying this really really badly... I mean, rights of usage on stuff becomes public, such as copyrights on photos and books, etc., and is it the same with music? My point being, maybe some of these artists don't sell out, but their stuff gets used because it's older and they don't have any choice about it. I'm probably making this up...