Humming and singing out loud

blind-fitter

We all like music here, (I guess). So we probably all hum a tune from time to time, or like me, break into song through sheer "joie de vivre". But do you find that there are particular songs that you recurrently hum or sing,(i.e. almost all the time) regardless of what your actual favourite tunes might be?

Personally, if I'm "bursting into song", it will usually be the opening verse to The Smiths "What Difference Does It Make?" ("All men have secrets and here is mine, so let it be known...etc, etc.")

Humming or mumbling to myself would inevitably be the opening riff and first verse of The Buzzcocks "Boredom" ("You know I say what I mean, I say what comes to my mind"...etc.) or, (and this one puzzles me), "You Are In My Vision" by Gary Numan. :blush: :confused: :crazy:

I often start humming RHCP songs because they aren't very hard. Especially off One Hot Minute, I suddenly burst into Falling into Grace and Transcending (whenever I see the word 'transcend' :laughing:).

"History" by the Verve also keeps popping into my head. Yesterday my song du jour was Twist and Shout by the Beatles, because someone said "come on." Twist and Shout won against Piece of my Heart.

I mostly humm/sing songs, that I heard recently...

In the moment

When the truth is found

to be lies.

And all the joy

within you dies.

Don't you want somebody to love?

Don't you need somebody to love?

Wouldn't you love somebody to love?

You better find somebody to love.

my in-the-shower songs are strange fruit, red red robin, lover, you should've come over, dream a little dream and mojo pin.

at the moment i'm rehearsing backing vocals for one of my girls' recitals so i'm constantly singing the oohs, aahs and don't ya knows of:

put your records on

heal over

(take another little) piece of my heart

do right woman, do right man

think

it's alot of fun!

I'll start singing whatever earworm I've picked up in the car, or sing along to the radio in traffic. I think I have a good voice, but I don't know if anyone else thinks the same so I never sing in public.

Today, however, I am singing "Raoul" by The Automatic in my head at full volume! :D

i have a math teacher that used to hum CONSTANTLY. not even a song. she got me humming the same tune for a while. She used to hum even when we were taking tests... but i'm begining to think she has OCD. every class for a few weeks she goes around the room tapping everything she sees three times . . .

When "Sing vs. Hum" is discussed, pianist Glenn Gould comes to mind. He was famous for humming as he played (and recorded!) Classical piano compositions, which drove some concert attendees bonkers. (Classical piano music fans either hated or loved Glenn Gould.) This performance characteristic led to a Stereo Review cartoon of a high end stereo music lover installing a "Glenn Gould Hum Filter." :headphones:

It creeps people out when I say, "Nah nah nah nah nah, I'm lovin' it" for some reason. :P

I find myself singing in the shower pretty often, and sometimes I do some random humming when I play guitar. Sounds like fingernails on a blackboard, but I do it in private, so...

I sing in the car.

I'm the weird middleaged mom type, with the volume turned up, singing at the top of my lungs, drumming on the steering wheel. Unlike Marc, I've been known to gyrate too, but only at red lights. :)

• 5 months later...