The Songfactors' Choice SILVER Top Ten #25

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Making Plans For Nigel" - XTC

"Scooby Snacks" - Fun Loving Criminals

Can't believe the grief "the organisers" are getting over the Top 10s. Strikes me some folks need to get a grip (or a life...).

It's meant to be fun, people! It matters not what other people nominate or what "wins". Because of age, geography and musical background, the vast majority of nominations are tracks I've never heard of or to which I can't relate, (including "biggies" like Floyd, The Doors, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, et al.) I frequently nominate stuff not knowing whether anybody will have heard of my choices, let alone like them. It's not a problem. Every week, great tracks will be nominated by all sorts of people and go "unplaced" simply because they're not well known enough (on a world-wide basis). It's just interesting to observe who votes for what, the points where our tastes coincide and with whom. Maybe it takes a life-time of being on the margins to appreciate this perspective?

In the meantime, I can't see what there is to gripe about. It's easy enough to dip out of the game if one isn't happy with the "terms and conditions".

Keep up the good work, chaps!

Theme from A Summer Place - Percy Faith Orchestra

Run To Me - Bee Gee's

I am leaving for a meeting in Atlantic City shortly and then a few days at my favorite beach, Wildwood Crest. I won't be around to vote, but these two would be my one and two (for what that's worth).

Have a nice week and I'll be back by weeks end.

RonJon

Run To Me - Bee Gee's

I am leaving for a meeting in Atlantic City shortly and then a few days at my favorite beach, Wildwood Crest. I won't be around to vote, but these two would be my one and two (for what that's worth).

RonJon

Have a good trip, RJ! :) I´ll vote The BeeGees, obviously...

I'm a little bit country today...

Shameless - Garth Brooks

One of the few remakes I like better than the original. I love Billy Joel, but I can just feel the emotion in Garth's voice.

Peachy, you should hear his rendition of Deep Water by Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys, western swing at it's finest.

Like Farin, I nominate songs largely to test the waters and see if anyone else likes the kinda songs I like. Admittedly, I've been disappointed a couple times to see both of my songs at the bottom (or near the bottom) of the list, but to me, it's more disappointing when I'm so unfamiliar with other peoples' nominations that I have to search YouTube for an hour checking all the songs I don't know.

Plus, I've come to realize that I have pretty weird tastes in music. :P I can understand why they don't get votes. Most, if not all of the other people here probably don't have the time to check YouTube like me, it's okay if they just compose their Top Ten from what they know. Although sometimes I wonder how many people actually went out and found the song, and just came back not liking it.

Some of the other reasons I do this are to improve my musical knowledge and find any bands out there I might like. Who knows, maybe some of the obscure bands that someone nominates could end up being some of my favorites in time, so you could say I do it all for myself. :P

Here's my two cents worth. I think Darryl and Farin do a terrific job. The rules are quite simple and I frankly don't see what all the fuss is about. If a person wants to drop out because he no longer enjoys the Top Tens, that is his prerogative. However, sending critical messages to Darryl is out of line.

I nominate songs I like and I am gratified when others like them as well. But making the Top Ten is not my goal in nominating a particular song. Because of the Top Ten, I have discovered artists (Cold Chisel and Heroes Del Silencio for example) that I had never heard of until now and as a result, I will probably seek out more music by these artists.

As more than one wise Songfactor has stated, let's just have fun with this! :)

Also, Darryl advised me that a Buddy Holly song did indeed make the Top Ten. That song was Not Fade Away.

Theme from A Summer Place - Percy Faith Orchestra

Run To Me - Bee Gee's

RonJon

You've likely got my vote for both of these tunes Ron Jon! :bow: