The Songfactors' Choice SILVER Top Ten #25

WELCOME TO THE SILVER TOP TEN #25.

7006s.jpg

WELL, DESPITE A FEW UPS AND DOWNS WE'VE MANAGED TO MAKE IT TO OUR 25TH TOP TEN. THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE HELPED MAKE IT A SUCCESS. I DON'T LIKE NAMING PEOPLE BECAUSE YOU ARE ALL SO IMPORTANT, BUT VERY SPECIAL MENTION MUST GO TO FARIN WHO PUTS IN A LOT OF TIME ON THE ARCHIVES AND WEEKLY TOP TENS, ALSO JUDO FOR HIS MONTHLY GRAPHS, AND KATIE & PEACHES FOR COLLATING SONG FACTS.

SINCE WE STARTED ON 26TH MARCH THIS YEAR, OUR TOP TEN THREADS HAVE RECEIVED OVER 21,000 HITS AND 4,000 REPLIES.

....................................................................................................

ALL MEMBERS OF SONGFACTS ARE MOST WELCOME TO BE INVOLVED IN NOMINATING AND CHOOSING "THE SONGFACTORS CHOICE TOP TEN" !

ALL YOU DO IS:

* Nominate two songs from 1950 to the present that haven't made the Ten before (please click to view Every Song That's Made The Songfactors' Choice Top Tens )

AND

aren't currently in the Songfacts Daily or Weekly Top Tens.

(They are the Main Charts - this is supplementary to them).

* When nominations close, choose your favorite Ten songs in order of preference from the Final Nominations and post them on here. Points are allotted 10 for your #1 song, 9 for #2, Etc. and our Top Ten is compiled from them.

PLEASE LET US HAVE YOUR NEW NOMINATIONS NOW ! :thumbsup:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Namahage. :)

Laurie sent me a PT:

Hey Darryl, I'm not sure If I'll be able to get online in the next couple days so here are my two....

Dirty Work ~ Steely Dan

Me And Julio Down By The School Yard ~ Paul Simon

Thanks, Laurie

Thank you Laurie. :)

Saturday In The Park - Chicago (Amended).

We Will Rock You - Queen

(There is a medley of We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions, but I don't think it's fair to nominate that).

Edited by Guest
Multiple nomination of Artist.

c s 1987 said: I don't really want to nominate too many Stones songs, but I really like this one.

Don't you feel bad about it Chris. I raised this issue before, because I feel our approach to it is hypocritical. People get around it by nominating lesser known Beatles, Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd songs which place in the Top Ten but don't usually get to #1. I also know some who don't vote for them as a 'protest'.

I don't really agree with that either; if I like a song I vote for it.

I wanted to have ONE Top Ten occasionally where we didn't nominate artists who'd been #1 in OUR Top Tens. That idea was dismissed by most as being 'restrictive'.

Let the Big Names/ Big Songs fight it out. WHY ? Because the younger people just aren't going to observe our 'unspoken' pact not to nominate 'Legendary Bands'.

Now we've already had one person pull out because our Ten was becoming "too commercial" and I think we will have at least one other now. I'm tired of being an intermediary and trying to keep everybody happy. Short of banning the youngsters, which certainly isn't going to happen, I don't know what to do.

My suggestion is to have a cycle of three; two "Open" Top Tens and then one prohibiting nomination of those Artists who have made #1 in OUR Top Tens.

Things haven't been made any easier for me lately by:

1. "Some of the Moderators", who wanted to have the Top Ten every 10 days for reasons known only to them. Edna asked me once "was there going to be a Top Ten #20 ?" I didn't really know at that stage. I've never been one for 'politics'.

2. People who send me PTs complaining about things. I'm sick of it. If you have something to say, please have the courage to air it here in the forum. Dear edna just sent me a lovely PT of support and as she said : "It's only a game !".

AMEN, edna. Keep it up and I'm out of here.

:P

Be to thine own self true....

1. Rich Girl ~ Hall and Oates

2. Say You Love Me ~ Fleetwood Mac

It's so funny to me to think that people are so competitive in our little Songfacts world they would nominate a "sure thing" just to have it in the Top Ten. Hell, we all know by my nominations and votes what lousy (albeit honest and consistent!) taste in music I have. :crazy: My dad would be proud to know I'm a non-conformist. :grin:

1. Rich Girl ~ Hall and Oates

2. Say You Love Me ~ Fleetwood Mac

Hell, we all know by my nominations and votes what lousy (albeit honest and consistent!) taste in music I have.

???

Those may just be my #s 1 and 2 Shawna. I've had them on my Lista for a while.

I wanted to have ONE Top Ten occasionally where we didn't nominate artists who had been #1. That idea was howled down by most - some supported it.

Let the Big Names/ Big Songs fight it out.

WHY ? Because the younger people just aren't going to observe our 'unspoken' pact not to nominate 'Legendary Bands'.

Now we've already had one person pull out because our Ten was becoming "too commercial" and I think we will have at least one other now. I'm tired of being an intermediary and trying to keep everybody happy.

Darryl, I support your idea of having a top ten (or several, say every third) with only artists that haven't had a #1. That would be very interesting! One problem I can foresee is that not many have heard the songs that might be nominated. To go around that you could include a link to where you can hear the song (youtube.com, allmusic.com etc). I'll try and do that on my next nomination.

And I would be very sad if you (or anyone) pulled out!

Now we've already had one person pull out because our Ten was becoming "too commercial" and I think we will have at least one other now. I'm tired of being an intermediary and trying to keep everybody happy. Short of banning the youngsters, I don't know what to do.

Here's what you do, Darryl: keep on keepin' on. You can't please all of the people all of the time. Songfacts is not the cure for cancer, it's fun - and that's all. If people don't enjoy the game, then they should do exactly that - take themselves out. I can't stand a sore loser. And it's not up to you, Darryl, to take the bullet - you're not paid enough :grin:

Just keep doing what you do (because you do it so well!). Those of us who enjoy and appreciate your efforts will continue to do so, and let those who will, leave.

*stepping down off my soapbox*

c s 1987 said: I don't really want to nominate too many Stones songs, but I really like this one.

Don't you feel bad about it Chris. I raised this issue before, because I feel our approach to it is hypocritical. People get around it by nominating lesser known Beatles, Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd songs which place in the Top Ten but don't usually get to #1. I also know some who don't vote for them as a 'protest'.

I don't really agree with that either; if I like a song I vote for it.

I wanted to have ONE Top Ten occasionally where we didn't nominate artists who'd been #1 in OUR Top Tens. That idea was dismissed by most as being 'restrictive'.

Let the Big Names/ Big Songs fight it out. WHY ? Because the younger people just aren't going to observe our 'unspoken' pact not to nominate 'Legendary Bands'.

Now we've already had one person pull out because our Ten was becoming "too commercial" and I think we will have at least one other now. I'm tired of being an intermediary and trying to keep everybody happy. Short of banning the youngsters, which certainly isn't going to happen, I don't know what to do.

My suggestion is to have a cycle of three; two "Open" Top Tens and then one prohibiting nomination of those Artists who have made #1 in OUR Top Tens.

Things haven't been made any easier for me lately by:

1. "Some of the Moderators", who wanted to have the Top Ten every 10 days for reasons known only to them. Edna asked me once "was there going to be a Top Ten #20 ?" I didn't really know at that stage. I've never been one for 'politics'.

2. People who send me PTs complaining about things. I'm sick of it. If you have something to say, please have the courage to air it here in the forum. Dear edna just sent me a lovely PT of support and as she said : "It's only a game !".

AMEN, edna. Keep it up and I'm out of here.

We've had this topic before, and I'm gonna say the same thing now:

This isn't a competition! You don't win anything if you "get" the #1!

I don't have any problems when people nominate their favourite songs, which then happen to be by The Stones, Pink Floyd etc., but I don't really understand it.

For me the Top Ten is more like a test, to see who likes the same music/songs that I do.

Of course I'm happy when one of my nominations makes it to the Top Ten. Who wouldn't? But I don't nominate certain songs because I think they are sure to make it.

I simply don't feel the need to nominate "Hey Jude" or "Kashmir", because I know that they are sure to get high votes...

On another note, I want to thank Darryl for the great work he puts into the Top Ten (which is sure more than I do). And I'm really, really glad I'm not on the receiving end of these aforementioned PTs...

:bow: :thumbsup: :bow:

[/soapbox]

^ Gents - just drop this topic , eh ? The horse is dead now .

I've always seen this as a top ten of songs that don't immediately come to mind , but deserve some mention , being good songs and all - and the fun of 'competition ' in seeing which are better in the participants minds. For me , the ' winners' are the one's that make me say ' Oh , Yeah - that's a good one ! ' or ' I 'm glad someone reminded me of that song that I'd , more or less , forgotten . ' The final results are the anti-climax of some damn fine thoughts out there- votes be damned ! :)

Edited by Guest