Live Versions

Sweet Jane 61

I searched for a thread on this but didn't find one but I didn't search very long...got tired of searching, anyway, this came to me today when I play Cheap Trick...I Want You To Want Me...it was the studio version, I love the live version of this hit, it makes the song. I am an Eagles fan but when Hell Freezes Over Came out and the live version of Hotel California, I was even more of a fan. And when I saw Don Henley on tour and he did it as his encore, it was awesome. Now granted some songs aren't that great live, not sure why that is, but some just suck. Are there any that you would rather hear the live version over the studio version?

"Delta Lady" is infinitely better on Joe Cocker's live album titled Mad Dogs and Englishmen than on the somewhat sterile (in relation) studio version.

I also feel the definitive version of Cocker's "With A Little Help From My Friends" is the live version from Woodstock. Speaking of that festival, Santana's "Soul Sacrifice" is better there on stage than on other subsequent studio versions. Of course he probably wasn't on acid when making those studio cuts.

• 2 months later...

"Linger"

by The Cranberries...

All the more poignant since we arrived upon the scene of a womans car which had skidded on ice and flipped onto the roof of the car early last year, she had the live version playing as she crawled out through the window...amazingly unharmed apart from some cuts from the windscreen and in shock. I have to say that I find it pretty upsetting to listen to, but love it all the same.

Isn't it funny that the one thing clear in my mind from that day was the music I could hear...

Live vs. Studio? Sometimes, it has to be live! Mary Chapin Carpenter's "Party Doll and Other Favorites" features a number of live versions, which roar to life before an audience. "I Take My Chances" sounds OK in the studio version, while the live version Rocks the audience. "Quittin' Time" sounds dull and lifeless in the studio version, but the live version is full of angst and regret. Another performer who put an extra effort before an audience was Harry Chapin. "Greatest Stories Live" is a great introduction to this artist who wore his heart on his sleeve. :drummer:

Statesboro Blues - The Allman Brothers Band

I Shot The Sheriff - as played by Eric Clapton at the Crossroads's Guitar Festival. Almost anything Clapton plays live is better than his conservative studio offerings.

Johnny Winter - Mean Town Blues. He is an electifying live performer.

I'm Going Home by Alvin Lee At Woodstock. IMO, the highlight of the whole Woodstock performance.

:headphones:

> "Great White Buffalo" - Ted Nugent :rockon:

from the live album 'Ted Nugent, Double Live Gonzo'.

> "Let There Be Rock" - AC/DC :rockon:

and

> "Whole Lotta Rosie" - AC/DC :rockon:

both from the live album 'AC/DC, If You Want Blood You've Got It'. :rockon:

> "Slow Ride" - Foghat :rockon:

and

> "Fool For The City" - Foghat :rockon:

both from the live album 'Foghat Live'. :rockon:

> "Surrender" - Cheap Trick :rockon:

and

> "I Want You To Want Me" -Cheap Trick :rockon:

both from the live album 'Cheap Trick, Live at Budokan'. :rockon:

Those are my favorite live tracks.

My favorite live albums of all-time are the ones mentioned above. They are great from start to finish! :rockon: :rockon:

thin lizzy's 'live and dangerous' is widely considered to be the best live album of all time and it is fantastic!

any live jeff is great too because he was contantly experimenting with different keys, tunings and singing styles. live at sin-é, the legacy edition, showcases this to perfection.

Once again I will add to your Jeff Buckley comments...

My favorite live things of his are:

The Way Young Lovers Do - Sin-e version and Bataclan version (I can't decide on my favorite)

Dream Brother - Bataclan version is amazing, and I have one from a bootleg called "Wayward Angel" that is unbelievable. Unfortunately I've misplaced that one.