So much more than Random Thoughts

_Laurie_

If her kids are young, I sure hope they were unaware of what was happening... I think perhaps worse than the attack itself would be if my son had seen something happen to me and had to live with the guilt of being helpless about it. :puppyeyes:

So true Shawna. I don't even like to think about the damage that could be caused to a child after witnessing something like that happening to their parent.

I don't care what anybody says, I just don't think you can fix a child's damaged mind after something like that :puppyeyes:

We underestimate the power of sensory stimuli to trigger seemingly quite random responses.

I'm sure we could all reel off a list of songs which remind us of a particular person, event or occasion, without necessarily understanding exactly why they have this effect. For instance, I can't hear Echo & The Bunnymen's "The Cutter" without an ephemeral thought about my dad, even though the link between the two is tenuous to say the least; the interaction that precipitated this connection in my mind was trivial and over in a matter of seconds. You'd expect it to have been lost in the mists of time.

I guess that sort of thing must be quite commonplace

What set me thinking along these lines, though, was something more mundane and unrelated to music (which naturally lends itself to stimulation/response reminiscences). I can't hear the distinctive call of the wood-pigeon, without thinking about scout camps, even though these took place some 30 years ago.

I have that with cuckoos - they make me think of school - because they were what I heard at 6 in the morning.

And I have that with a certain type of a certain brand of scented wet tissues which remind me of car rides down the (then relatively more deserted) streets of Delhi when I was 3 or 4 or 5.

But the oddest one I have is of a perfume that isn't manufactured anymore that would make me think of a song every time I got a whiff of it.