Best Song intros

Batman

What are the songs with the best intros of all time?

Heres my list:

Van Halen - Hot For Teacher

Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze, Little Wing, and Crosstown Traffic

Led Zeppelin - Good times bad times

Jimi Hendrix- Spanish Castle Magic

I could probably think of more, but...meh.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Derek & the Dominos - Layla

Led Zeppelin - Heartbreaker

Pink Floyd - Time

The Eagles - Hotel California

AC/DC - Back in Black

Metallica - For Whom the Bell Tolls

Megadeth - Holy Wars... The Punishment Due

Guns N' Roses - You Could Be Mine

:guitar:

This is another difficult one. "I'm a child of divorce, please don't make me choose!" I'll try for a top ten (not including the 2 posted above).

Clapton - Tears in Heaven and Runnin' on Faith :bow:

Sabbath/Ozzy - Paranoid & Crazy :bow:

Grateful Dead - Friend of the Devil & Ripple

Beatles - Here Comes the Sun, Yesterday, In My Life (I could go on. . .)

Aerosmith - Dream On

And I haven't even mentioned Stevie Ray or Jimi yet. I'm screwed! But I could probably name 5 for each of them, so. . .

:: I can't stand it!! Just two from SRV - Life by the Drop & Texas Flood. . . and as for Jimi - y'all made some excellent choices and I couldn't agree more.

Wow! Is it possible to love music too much? :puppyeyes:

Surpassing all of the more recent and previous instrumental excavation, I must admit to have never found a greater introduction than that of "California Girls". Something about the fact that Brian agrees it's the "greatest piece of music he's ever written" would visibly appear to confirm it for me.

Not that I necessarily eternally shift myself along with the train of the genius musician, but I must admit that he has a point in terms of leading a song, from beginning to end, with an inexplicably groovy shuffle rhythm, matching it at the same time with such a wonderful vocal performance.

Vocal performances notwithstanding, a superb (but truly obscure and forever shifting) vocal introduction is that of Jan and Dean's "The Anaheim, Asuza, And Cocamonga Sewing Circle, Book Review And Timing Association". I just used to laugh at the title. In their traditional fashion, they just layer up the vocals at the important parts, choruses and hooks, and just let go of all the vocals and layer the instruments on at the verses. Great stuff!

'One' by Metallica has a fantastic intro, as does 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' by The Beatles.

SOOOOO! agree with 'One' by Metallica i love that intro. also i cant believe no one has said november rain? thats great. i love alot of sum41 intros they are really well done but u ppl arent into them? this is more of the classic type ey? well the most well known intro has to be deep purple "smoke on the water".

:guitar:

great thread...

on the blues side

Little Milton's rendition of Blind Man

with a big band underscoring every phrase he cries/pleads... and then swingin' into a groove...

Little Milton We're Gonna Make it / Sings Big Band Blues ( mid '60s, Checker label sides)

c04455iq8sm.jpg

I agree with Bazooka that The Stones are really good at intros. My favorite of theirs is probably "Undercover Of The Night." Some other great ones:

The Pretenders - "Middle Of The Road"

My favorite drum intro. A skilled drummer can play it with chopsticks on a table at a Chinese restaurant. I know because I've asked skilled drummers to play it with chopsticks on tables at Chinese restaurants.

Fiona Apple - "Fast As You Can"

Try it, you'll like it.

Bruce Springsteen - "Born To Run"

It lets you know he's coming, and you better either hop on or get out of the way.

I saw the title before I opened the thread and thought right away of the Tom Waits album "Nighthawks at the Diner." It is a live album that is full of great introductions to songs. They are really more dialogs that lead into the songs than the intros that everyone else is talking about. The album starts with Tom greeting the audience: "An inebriated good evening to you..." and builds up steam from there. A very cool album.

Now for the obligitory Stones entry. Mine are "Gimme Shelter" and "Heartbreaker."