Best Song intros

Batman

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People in the UK usually have better taste in music than americans.

Aww.. You Guys!

Thanks, but in truth The Sweet were not that special. They were very big here in the early 70s, and were a 'glam rock' band..you know..huge silver stack heel boots, silver spandex cat-suits and lots of make-up. They had a string of top ten UK hits, but they are more remembered for how they looked than how they sounded!

Thanks, but in truth The Sweet were not that special. They were very big here in the early 70s, and were a 'glam rock' band..you know..huge silver stack heel boots, silver spandex cat-suits and lots of make-up. They had a string of top ten UK hits, but they are more remembered for how they looked than how they sounded!

I have Desolation Boulevard, I still listen to it to this day, they're a good band, a blend of Pop & Rock, but not annoying like some others in that category. I never really bothered with the image of rock stars, if they have the right sound, then it's worth the listen. My favorite tracks are Set Me Free, AC/DC/, & Fox on the Run.

If you like Rolling Stones get The Pretty Things record

I've heard of those guys. I heard the album many, many years ago. Their bass player and founder, [bleep] Taylor, played with the Stones very early on, before Bill Wyman became full time. They had a few okay songs, but they weren't the Stones, ya know. It's very cool that someone actually knew that little piece of trivia.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

" Smoke on the water" isn't great, merely very familiar.

And we all know what familiarity breeds, don't we?

I believe what Denmark is trying to say is that "Smoke on the Water" isn't necessarily any great guitar work, just a few good notes strung together. However, to rebut, what makes it a great intro IS its familiarity; you know what song's coming behind those few good notes. But I think Deep Purple has several great intros, including "Highway Star", "Bananas", "Burn", and my personal favorite "Knocking at Your Back Door".........."Sweeeeeet Lucy was a dancer, but none of us would chance her, because she was a Samurai."

A lot of Deep Purple's stuff sounds very much alike, though, and reminds me a lot of many of the new bands...decent musicians but need some help with their writing; everything sounds too much alike. (Ex. Matchbox 20, Offspring, and the most offensive - Nickleback).

I would also like to add a few memorable intros from a nearly forgotten band - Jefferson Starship. Who could forget that great piano intro to "Jane", the great bass intro to "Stranger", and the great guitar intro to "Ride the Tiger"?

Rock on, e'brybody!!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

Hey Gilmour, funny you ask, cuz to me shine on is in a way an intro (and outro)by itself to the whole album. But listening to the single song by itself, to me, the 'real song' doesn't start until the heavy-chorus, 4-note riff starts (@ about 4:07). Seems like everything builds up and releases tension at that moment.

About Roundabout, I love the way the backwards piano (or what it sounds to me as) leads to the acoustic harmonics. The first 10 secs its like a warning that something great is comming, so better brace yourself. :rockon: