classic movie lines

phil

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Rick's Cafe Americaine, made famous by the movie, "Casablanca," the lines are too numerous to mention...and imperfectly remembered, so I'll paraphrase:

"We'll always have Paris."

"I never get involved."

"I told you never to play that song!"

"Of all the gin joints in all of the world, she has to come in to mine." (Or something like that.)

"You played it for her, so play it, Sam."

"Here's looking at you. kid" :jester:

"Louie, this looks like the start of a beautiful friendship."

"I'll make you an offer you can't refuse"...Godfather

"Do I amuse you?"...Goodfellas

"Yo Adriene"....Rocky

"You're out of order! You're out of order! The whole trial is out of order! They're out of order!".....And Justice For All

"Are you talkin to me?"....Taxi Driver

Edited by Guest

I think some of the greatest (and funniest) lines ever came from Monty Python and The Holy Grail. Here are some of my favorites:

-Listen, lad. I built this kingdom up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other kings said I was daft to build a

castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So

I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one... stayed up! And that's what you're gonna get,lad: the strongest castle in these islands.

-She's beautiful. She's rich. She's got huge... tracts o' land.

-Look, you stupid b*****d. You've got no arms left

-We have the Holy Hand Grenade

Not the most memorable of all time, but my personal favorites (I love MP, just blew 200 dollars at Best Buy buying every episode of Flying Circus)

In a scene near the end of the movie "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, Clint Eastwood comes upon Eli Wallach at the grave site that is suppose to hold bags of gold. As Eastwood throws a shovel at Wallach he says "There are two kinds of people in this world those with guns and those without guns. Since I have the gun you dig."

In Unforgiven Gene Hackman says to Eastwood "You just shot an unarmed man". Eastwood's reply. "He should have armed himself."

Scott Glenn, who plays astronaut Allen Shepherd, before his takeoff as the first man into space says a little prayer. His prayer, "Please Lord don't let me f**k up". This is from the movie "The Right Stuff"

rtstuff

We Are Marshall

What movie was it where Jack Nicholson's character orders toast and the waitress tells him they don't have toast, so he asks for a turkey sandwich on toasted bread, but leave off the turkey, lettuce and mayonnaise and just bring him the bread.....something like that...it was awesome!

Monty Python tops all movie quotes for me!

The Holy Grail

"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?"

"We're knights of the round table,

We dance whenever we're able,

We do routines, and chorus scenes,

With footwork impecc-able.

We dine well here in Camelot,

We eat ham, and jam, and spam a lot."

"Follow, but follow only if ye be men of valor! For the entrance to this cave is guarded by a creature so fowl, so cruel that no man yet has fought with it and lived. Bones of four fifty men lie strewn about its lair! So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage, or your strength, come nay further, for death awaits you all . . . with nasty big pointy teeth!"

"You don't frighten us, English pig-dog! Go and boil your bottoms, son of a silly person. I blow my nose on you, so-called Arthur-king, you and your silly English kiniggets."

Black Knight: (calling after them) Oh! Had enough, eh? Come back and take what's coming to you, you yellow b^stards!! Come back here and take what's coming to you! I'll bite your legs off!

The Spanish Inquisition

Peasant: "I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition."

Cardinal Ximinez: "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again."

The Life Of Brian

"Now, you listen here! He's not the Messiah! He's a very naughty boy! Now, go away! "

Roman Official: "Crucifixion? Good. Out the door, line on the left. One cross each." [to each condemned man]

Pontius Pilate: "Whom shall you have me welease? "

Crowd: "Welease Wodger!"

"Let me come with you, Pontiuth. I may be of thome athithance if there ith a thudden crithith." ~ Biggus Dickus, struggling with a speech impediment.

The Argument Clinic-Monty Python

(A reception desk in a sort of office building.)

Receptionist: Yes, sir?

Man: I'd like to have an argument please.

Receptionist: Certainly, sir, have you been here before...?

Man: No, this is my first time.

Receptionist: I see. Do you want to have the full argument, or were you thinking of taking a course?

Man: Well, what would be the cost?

Receptionist: Yes, it's one pound for a five-minute argument, but only eight pounds for a course of ten.

Man: Well, I think it's probably best of I start with the one and see how it goes from there. OK?

Receptionist: Fine. I'll see who's free at the moment... Mr. Du-Bakey's free, but he's a little bit concilliatory... Yes, try Mr. Barnard -- Room 12.

Man: Thank you.

[...] The man knocks on the door.

Mr Vibrating:(from within) Come in.

The man enters the room. Mr Vibrating is sitting at a desk.

Man: Is this the right room for an argument?

Mr Vibrating: I've told you once.

Man: No you haven't.

Mr Vibrating: Yes I have.

Man: When?

Mr Vibrating: Just now!

Man: No you didn't.

Mr Vibrating: Yes I did!

Man: Didn't.

Mr Vibrating: Did.

Mr Vibrating: I'm telling you I did!

Man: You did not!

Mr Vibrating: I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half-hour?

Man: Oh, just a five minute one.

Mr Vibrating: Fine. (makes a note of it; the man sits down) Thank you. Anyway I did.

Man: You most certainly did not.

Mr Vibrating: Now, let's get one thing quite clear... I most definitely told you!

Man: You did not.

Mr Vibrating: Yes I did.

Man: You did not.

Mr Vibrating: Yes I did!!

Man: Look this isn't an argument.

Mr Vibrating: Yes it is.

Man: No it isn't, it's just contradiction.

Mr Vibrating: No it isn't.

Man: Yes it is.

Mr Vibrating: It is not.

Man: It is. You just contradicted me.

Mr Vibrating: No I didn't.

Man: Ooh, you did!

Mr Vibrating: No, no, no, no, no.

Man: You did, just then.

Mr Vibrating: No, nonsense!

Man: Oh, look this is futile.

Man: I came here for a good argument.

Mr Vibrating: No you didn't, you came here for an argument.

Man: Well, an argument's not the same as contradiction.

Mr Vibrating: It can be.

Man: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a definite proposition.

Man: Yes it is. It isn't just contradiction.

Mr Vibrating: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.

Man: But it isn't just saying "No it isn't".

Mr Vibrating: Yes it is.

Man: No it isn't, an argument is an intellectual process... contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.

Man: Yes it is.

Mr Vibrating: Not at all.

Man: Now look!

Mr Vibrating:(pressing the bell on his desk) Thank you, good morning.

Man: What?

Mr Vibrating: That's it. Good morning.

Man: But I was just getting interested.

Mr Vibrating: Sorry the five minutes is up.

Man: That was never five minutes just now!

Mr Vibrating: I'm afraid it was.

Man: No it wasn't.

Mr Vibrating: I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to argue any more.

Man: What!?

Mr Vibrating: If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.

Man: But that was never five minutes just now... oh come on! (Vibrating looks round as though man was not there) This is ridiculous.

Mr Vibrating: I'm very sorry, but I told you I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid.

Man: Oh. All right. (pays) There you are.

Mr Vibrating: Thank you.

Man: Well?

Mr Vibrating: Well what?

Man: That was never five minutes just now.

Mr Vibrating: I told you I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid.

Man: I've just paid.

Mr Vibrating: No you didn't.

Man: I did! I did! I did!

Mr Vibrating: No you didn't.

Man: Look I don't want to argue about that.

Mr Vibrating: Well I'm very sorry but you didn't pay.

Man: Aha! Well if I didn't pay, why are you arguing... got you!

Mr Vibrating: No you haven't.

Man: Yes I have... if you're arguing I must have paid.

Mr Vibrating: Not necessarily. I could be arguing in my spare time.

Man: I've had enough of this.

Mr Vibrating: No you haven't.

(so much better in audio)

the Jerk:

I know we've only known each other four weeks and three days, but to me it seems like nine weeks and five days. The first day seemed like a week and the second day seemed like five days. And the third day seemed like a week again and the fourth day seemed like eight days. And the fifth day you went to see your mother and that seemed just like a day, and then you came back and later on the sixth day, in the evening, when we saw each other, that started seeming like two days, so in the evening it seemed like two days spilling over into the next day and that started seeming like four days, so at the end of the sixth day on into the seventh day, it seemed like a total of five days. And the sixth day seemed like a week and a half. I have it written down, but I can show it to you tomorrow if you want to see it.

I'll add some, because there are so many from that movie...

"I was born a poor black child."

"Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it."

"I'm picking out a Thermos for you. Not an ordinary Thermos for you. But the extra best Thermos that you can buy, with vinyl and stripes and a cup built right in."

"Things are going to start happening to me now."

"Die, you random son of a bitch."

My favorite quote is in Star Wars, 1977. In it Obi Wan Kenobi asks the question, "Who's the more foolish: The fool, or the fool who follows him?".

There are also a slew of great lines in one of my favorite movies, My Cousin Vinny. The only movie that had me laughing from start to finish.

Marisa Tomei goes on her tirade when telling Vinny why should he care what kind of clothes he is wearing when deer hunting. (Please excuse any profanity as it is only quoting the movie):

"Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing around. You get thirsty. You spot a little brook. You put your little deer lips down to the cool, clear water - BAM. A f*ckin' bullet rips off part of your head. Your brains are lying on the ground in little bloody pieces. Now I ask you, do you give a f*ck what kind of pants the son-of-a-bitch who shot you was wearing?"

I'll add some, because there are so many from that movie...

"I was born a poor black child."

"Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it."

"I'm picking out a Thermos for you. Not an ordinary Thermos for you. But the extra best Thermos that you can buy, with vinyl and stripes and a cup built right in."

"Things are going to start happening to me now."

"Die, you random son of a bitch."

"This man hates cans!"

Here are some from the Pink Panther movies

Clouseau: does your dog bite?

man: no.

*dog bites Closeau*

Closueau: I thought you said your dog doesn't bite!

man: That is not my dog.

(telephone conversation)

Clouseau: Who is this?

Chief Inspector: Don't you know? This is the man who hates you; the man who more than anything in the world would like to see you dead!

Clouseau: Is this the head waiter at the little deli downtown?