The Best Voices Top T(w)en(ty)

I think 70 top tens should have given a rough idea as to the sort of nominations that are to be expected ;)

Pick someone worthy of the competition who has a decent chance of making it. We're not picky when it comes to 'contemporary' or 'not-so-contemporary'. Simple rules :)

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pink I think she has a great voice...she can do soul and rock.

Marvin Gaye What I like about this song in particular is that his voice cracks on the last verse, but it works for the song and shows what a passionate singer he is.

George Michael I don't like him so much now, but this song really shows what talent he has if he stops acting stupid and self destructive.

I'm putting up mine in instalments :)

Shannon Hoon

Lead singer and songwriter for Blind Melon. I think his is one of the most underrated voices around. I find that surprising because their music and songs are very reminiscent of the 60s hippie sounds.

It's a pity they're only known for No Rain because they are capable of so so much more. Now since I am nice, I am not subjecting you to an entirely new song... merely a new version of a song you already know and love. Have you heard the Ripped Away version of No Rain? Click the link. It's off their last album, Nico, released after Hoon's death.

Thanks Laurie! I have to say when I watched your Dusty Springfield clip, man I forgot what a powerful singer she was, can't wait until voting time!

Dusty did have a nice, sexy voice, and she was very pretty too...

Joss Stone does a pretty good job with this song too, have you heard it?...I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is:

Joss Stone ~ Son Of A Preacher Man

Edited by Guest

Thanks bazooka for keeping that link alive.

Thanks Levis for changing the category from rock to pop/rock, which is closer to the original article from mtv/blender.

My view of contemporary to date is anybody after World War II.

I've only thought of 2 nominations so far, but I'll have a third shortly along with the links.

1. Frank Sinatra - there's a reason he was called "the voice".

Can anyone provide a link to the actual magazine article so we can read the whole story, please.

:cool:

Phil, I hope you realise that this isn't about specific songs, but about the singers themselves :)

IF you provide a link to A song, then it's just to give an example of the vocal talent of the artist :)

and of course there can only be one nomination of a singer (well, I guess we could all nominate the same, but that would be 1. boring and 2. a waste of nominations)

:grin:

:headphones:

Roy Orbison Best male voice!

I have a post missing from early in this thread in which I stated that if this vote were taken among all the nominated singers here, Roy Orbison would win and it wouldn't be close.

Here is another clip of Roy at his peak.

He is in a duet with kd lang - who has a pretty good set of pipes herelf - and in comparison, she sounds like the lead in a high school musical.

This poll is for second place.

Hey Radhi, I was going to nominate 'What's Up' in the current Top Ten for my '90s' songs, but it had already made it. So that's who Linda Perry is !

:)

Ron,(S2V) - Roy Orbison was my first choice too. He'll be my #1. :thumbsup:

Sorry, but I think he was past his peak there. He let K.D. take some of the notes that he would've nailed easily in the 1961 original. Tempis Fugit.

Roy Orbison was my first choice too. He'll be my #1. :thumbsup:

Sorry, but I think he was past his peak there. He let K.D. take some of the notes that he would've nailed easily in the 1961 original. Tempis Fugit.

He threw her a bone because she idolizes him and begged to sing with him. Don't kid yourself, he could have nailed every note. I saw him live 2 months before he died (in concert with Ray Charles ... wow!) Ray was subdued and wanted to finish and get out, but Roy sang with purity and soul while not missing any notes during his set of all his songs. In fact, I was anticipating, when I knew some of those higher notes were coming, that like Elton John, a back-up singer would hit them or the high notes would be transposed an octave lower; but he didn't even look like he was straining to sing every note!

1. Medley The Sound Of Music/My Fair Lady - Julie Andrews

2. When I Fall In Love - Nat King Cole

3. My Cup Runneth Over - Ed Ames

None of these selections stands a snowball's chance in hell of making this top ten. I could easily have selected singers like Sinatra, Judy Garland, Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis, Barbra Streisand or a dozen others. They are or were outstanding vocalists.

With all due respect to McCartney, Lennon, Elton John, Freddie Mercury et al., I don't believe any of them can hold a candle to the great crooners of the 40's, 50's and 60's.