The Best Voices Top T(w)en(ty)

[big]The Best Voices Top T(w)en(ty)[/big]

a.k.a. the We're-better-than-Blender List

(Inspired by Sweet Jane's post in this thread)

Greetings Loyal Tenners,

Today we aim to journey to a special end. We have to arrive at a universally appealing definitive conclusion about the 20 best voices in Pop/Rock music till date. All right, so it's unlikely to be loved by one and all, but we can't POSSIBLY do worse than Blender, and those guys get paid!

This is a special Top Ten. For starters, it's a Top Twenty. What's more, we all get three nominations each. You know the drill. Everyone nominates, everyone votes, some people count things, results are put up. It's all quite easy really. If you need assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

This time, however, be sure to include with your nominations an audio (or video) clip of what you feel is that person's best vocal showcase. And when voting, remember... the singer, not the song ;)

Nominate.... [big]NOW[/big]

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YAY :happybanana: :bow:

I'll be first then:

Eddie Vedder [smallest]voice from the back: "surprise, suprise"[/smallest]

Eddie really has one of the most recognisable voices in the Rock business of the past 15 years...

sure, the lyrics are sometimes a bit hard to understand, but 1st: is that really that important? and 2nd imo it makes way for his talent to convey the feelings in his songs...

listen to Black (especially to the end) and you'll know what I mean :)

Katie Melua

An English-Georgian (that is, Georgia in Asia ;) ) singer songwriter, with a very beautiful voice...

She made her debut in 2003 with this single

Björk

unusual? sure :) maybe not everyone's music, but what a voice... oh, and I once saw an interview with her, and I just LOVE that accent :grin:

just listen to this short part of Joga

Steve Marriott (I couldn't find this song and this version online, so I uploaded it to youtube myself. You'd better watch it! All of you! (well, listen to it. I didn't really bother with the video itself))

Roger Daltrey (yes, it's the song you expect)

Liam Gallagher (all my people right here right now, they know what I mean! ( :cool: ))

And thank you, Laurie! :bow:

Janis Joplin Live Monterey Pop Festival

I feel this clip shows Janis in fine form. You get soul, blues, rock, and that pain her soul shinning through the whole song.

Heart (Ann Wilson)

Ann Wilson has one of the most amazing voices in music. Her octave range is exceptional and her voice is strong yet sexy. {side note Nancy proves she is one of the top guitarists out there too in this clip}

Otis Redding

When you think of one of the smoothest soulful voices that hits you heart and soul, no one can touch Otis.

As bluesboy's missing post pointed out, the MTV/ Blender list is "a countdown of the greatest singers in contemporary music" (not just Rock)

But how is "contemporary" defined? Does that put Elvis out of the running? I'd guess Sinatra won't fit that criteria.

And what makes for a "great" singer or "best" voice? Technical polish? vocal range? versatility? expressiveness? passion? a distinctive sound?

I'm content with my nominations, but I made them rather hastily.

Some other artists to be considered (and still up for grabs) are Joe Cocker, Joan Armatrading, Tracy Chapman, Al Green, Steve Winwood, Jesse Colin Young, Richie Havens

Bazooka, I think that this List would cover any singer in contemporary music, say the Rock Era from 1955 ! That certainly would make Elvis Presley and Frank Sinatra eligible. If it didn't, some of the nominations we've had so far would be invalid.

Blender's List also included non-rock singers, such as Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston and Celine Dion (who may be one of my nominees).

Now, there were a lot of Posts lost in the System yesterday, as most of us would know, so some (including me) will have to nominate again.

:headphones:

Here's mine:

Bobby Hatfield (of The Righteous Brothers)

Celene Dion

Barbra Streisand

Here's a Clip of the beautiful duet "Tell Him" which they did.

Young 55 went out, so I snuck in and used his computer.

Good Night All. :)

Edited by Guest
CLIP