The Best Voices Top T(w)en(ty)

Yes, it is a very good list. Aretha Franklin is a great choice as our #1. Just looking at the Top Ten, I voted for 7 of them. I would question Roger Daltrey's high placing though - Robert Plant could sing rings around him. Just swap those two around !

I'll bet all the LedBloodyZeppelin fans didn't expect that from me !

Thanks for running the T(w)en(ty) so well Radhi. :thumbsup:

We'll agree to disagree on this one, Darryl! The Who definitely got it right when they passed on Plant and chose Roger. Heck, I don't think Plant even deserves to be on this list. But then, I'm biased. I have never much liked Led Zeppelin. I'm sure I'll be roundly jeered for that statement. :smirk: :angel:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll agree to disagree on this one, Darryl! The Who definitely got it right when they passed on Plant and chose Roger. Heck, I don't think Plant even deserves to be on this list. But then, I'm biased. I have never much liked Led Zeppelin. I'm sure I'll be roundly jeered for that statement. :smirk: :angel:

Passed on Plant?

Edited by Guest

Passed on Plant?

Apparently, Fin. According to "The Legends Of Classic Rock" segment on my local radio station, Robert Plant auditioned for the Who before Roger Daltrey, and was told "Thanks, but no thanks!" by the band. Perhaps the wisest decision the band ever made. Can you imagine Plant butchering some of the Who's classic songs? It's enough to give me nightmares.

I agree with Joe on Elton John. I love his music and I think his voice is well suited to it, but I can sing a lot of his songs, and I am by no means a great singer. I'm not even a good singer.

So, while I think he has talent coming out of his ears, the rest of the people on the list can out sing him.

The Who started off as the Detours, and they were Roger's band. He asked John Entwistle to join, who in turn invited Pete Townshend--there can't have been an audition if it was Roger's band in the first place.

Well!!! I'm going to give those bozos at the radio station a piece of my mind. Actually they just air the segment which originates in Toronto. What can one expect from those prats in the self-proclaimed centre of the universe?

I'll see if I can get a hold of someone at the local radio station to see if they can find out how they made this mistake.

Elton John? C'mon, you're kidding.

Joe, I'm not the only one who voted for Elton. I didn't put him high on the list, but I do like his voice from back in the 70's. I don't really think he has a throw away voice that anyone could sing his songs. But that is just my opinion and we express those here on SF. Right or wrong.

Reading the recent posts, I can't help but think that we're fortunate to have such a great bunch of people who, as CanAm put it, "agree to disagree" - but without acrimony ! I didn't vote for either Roger Daltrey or Robert Plant. The only 'front man' of a Group I voted for was Freddie Mercury. He died almost 16 years ago, but Queen have never been able to find a suitable replacement.

:)

Wouldn't it be boring if we all had the same tastes ?

:headphones:

Thanks Laurie ! :)

I just noticed my post wasn't 100 % accurate; I did also vote for Frankie Valli of the Four Seasons. Strange, he didn't sing lead on their biggest Hit, "December 1963 (Oh, What A Night)".

:P

Do you like my new Avatar ? I thought I'd change it back to Elvis as his 30th Death Anniversary is coming up on 16th August.

:guitar:

Reading the recent posts, I can't help but think that we're fortunate to have such a great bunch of people who, as CanAm put it, "agree to disagree" - but without acrimony ! I didn't vote for either Roger Daltrey or Robert Plant. The only 'front man' of a Group I voted for was Freddie Mercury. He died almost 16 years ago, but Queen have never been able to find a suitable replacement.

:)

Wouldn't it be boring if we all had the same tastes ?

:headphones:

Yes it would and that is why SF is fun and interesting because we all have opinions and different musicals tastes. And it isn't cool to slam someone for voting for someone they think has a great voice.

Oh love the new avatar!! :coolio: