What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My daughter had a creepy experience on her way home from school yesterday. She and her friend had stopped on the street corner to practice some dance moves ("Umbrella", in case anyone's interested), when they became aware of a guy staring at them, so they stopped. He urged them to carry on; he was enjoying their dance routine. In their naivety they did so. At the end of their routine, he starts spinning some s**t about being in the music biz and recruiting for a pop band / talent show, if they'd be interested. They didn't really take him too seriously; by the sounds of it, they may even have taken the piss a little bit, "yeah, right, whatever" sort of thing. Then, when he said they looked "hot" and suggested they take some clothes off, the girls got a bit freaked, made their excuses and ran off home. The guy was (according to my daughter) about my age, (40ish) and looked "normal" enough.

Who knows what his motives were? I had to talk to my daughter about "stranger-danger". I mean, who knows, it may just have been some manifestation of a mid-life crisis / breakdown- or a simple misunderstanding- but, heck, these girls are only 10 years old. They haven't even grown breasts yet. But you can't be too sure. There are some sick, sick people around.

God, I hate to hear about this kind of pervert existing in the world. You can't watch or be with your kids 24/7 but then this happens walking home from school. You can't totally shelter your kids from the world, but you feel uncomfortable when creeps like this walk the streets.

I'm glad they got out of there fast and are safe.

I recieved the info in the mail today on the sweepstakes I entered for a new car....I read the fine print......in order to recieve the 100 dollar gas card, and 3 nite getaway you must listen to a 90 minute promotional speel on their resort area first..... :doh: :doh: :doh: ...... :thumbsdown:

I mean, who knows, it may just have been some manifestation of a mid-life crisis / breakdown- or a simple misunderstanding- but, heck, these girls are only 10 years old. They haven't even grown breasts yet. But you can't be too sure. There are some sick, sick people around.

The guy was freak b-f. I would have reported him. He had no business even speaking to them let alone telling them to remove clothing :stars:

Put yourself in that situation. Would have you spoken to two little girls you didn't know like that? I doubt it very much. Most normal men wouldn't. The guy was a freak.

The guy was freak b-f. I would have reported him. He had no business even speaking to them let alone telling them to remove clothing :stars:

Put yourself in that situation. Would have you spoken to two little girls you didn't know like that? I doubt it very much. Most normal men wouldn't. The guy was a freak.

quite right. Misunderstanding? Not a chance. Not when a 40-ish man is asking 10-year-olds to remove clothing. Nothing right about that, period. Your daughter was lucky and smart to run away like she did... jeez, my arms have goosebumps just thinking about this.

I'm in agreement with you all in this case without reservation . However ,I do hope society doesn't become so paranoid that older people cannot speak encouragingly or just casually to kids while keeping respectful boundaries . It would be to the detriment of both generations if such a scenario were to become the norm .

I'm glad to see BF's kids have the ability , that I think most kids do , to sense when someone is being strange , threatening or just not quite right .

technology.

Now, I could be totally wrong but in my mind the above quote erases creativity, imagination and insight.

Technology, to me, is another word for demise of human interaction and productivety to the point of new, helpful inventions un-studied.

But that's just my opinion and I can guarantee it's not etched in stone . . . yet.

I so agree with this statement Kev,

I do hope society doesn't become so paranoid that older people cannot speak encouragingly or just casually to kids while keeping respectful boundaries . It would be to the detriment of both generations if such a scenario were to become the norm .

But B-F's situation was not normal IMHO. I would have in the very least called the school. I would also be very concerned for the other children in the area.

If it were my daughter, she would never go near that neighbourhood without me or dad again. Her and her friends would be riding in my car to and from school for quite awhile and I would be notifying the people on that block to keep an eye on the children passing there.

The reason for that is, if he engaged them once and they responded and if he gets the opportunity, he will do it again. I know this, I've seen it and he will.

Normal adult men do not do what that guy did. You wouldn't either Kevin. You might smile and say nice job girls, and give them a smile but you wouldn't engage them like that. That's what makes it not right.

I'm sorry to be so uptight about stuff like this but I have reason and just can't seem to stop myself :puppyeyes:

I freakin hate people that mess with kids in any way. It seriously grinds my gears :mad:

On Monday I made the observation in class that it would nice to just be able to delete people. That statement, of course, horrified my instructor. :laughing: She's afraid of me now. ;)

In cases like people who abuse children or animals, though, wouldn't it be nice...?

awwww... a lot of old people I know are really cool! I'm considered old by... legions, I'm sure. ;)

Oldsters are the wonderful living history of this planet, I love to listen to their stories (so long as they don't go on all day and keep repeating themselves) :laughing: