Random Sports and Sport Talk

PSYCHOcatholic

It's D-nutmeg.

They didn't give an explanation. The nut part offers one clue...but, nah. That couldn't be it.

Actually, some people think that this IS the correct explanation, because no one's quite sure ;)

But this seems to be one of the likeliest explanations:

As he points out, the verb nutmegged is listed by the Oxford English Dictionary as "arising in the 1870s which in Victorian slang came to mean 'to be tricked or deceived, especially in a manner which makes the victim look foolish'."

The word arose because of a sharp practice used in nutmeg exports between America and England. "Nutmegs were such a valuable commodity that unscrupulous exporters were wont to pull a fast one by mixing a helping of wooden replicas into the sacks being shipped to England," writes Seddon. "Being nutmegged soon came to imply stupidity on the part of the duped victim and cleverness on the part of the trickster."

Totally non sports related, but now i'm curious about that explanation. I know nothing about nutmeg. Is it some sort of nut or fruit that grows on a tree or bush? I've never heard of a nutmeg tree. I wonder about the "wooden replicas".

I don't know if it actually is one, but it sure looks like a nut, and yes, they grow on nutmeg trees ;)

it's used as a spice mostly, eg for various potato dishes

oh, and it's poisonous in large quantities ;)

Nutmeg in potatoes?? Are you sure you aren't thinking of paprika? :confused: Nooo. Yes? Must be a German/European thing. I think most of us here would be using it with cinammon & ginger, for spicing cookies, pies, teas etc.

I do remember that it's poisonous, and it's quite strong, most recipes call for just a pinch. Mine comes in a red & white spice can, not from a tree. ;)

In European cuisine, nutmeg and mace are used especially in potato dishes and in processed meat products; they are also used in soups, sauces and baked goods. In Dutch cuisine nutmeg is quite popular, it is added to vegetables like Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and string beans.

that's the 'little differences' Vincent Vega always talked about :grin:

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...