Random Sports and Sport Talk

PSYCHOcatholic

Tommy's my nephew, and ranked 2nd in San Diego County. :grin:

By Kevin Gemmell

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

October 11, 2008

SEAN M. HAFFEY / Union-Tribune

In the six-year history of Westview varsity football, nothing has warranted a field storming. Last night that all changed, as the Wolverines shocked No. 7 Valley Center 20-16 on a last-minute touchdown, skyrocketing the program into legitimacy and giving the homecoming crowd a reason to hop the fences.

Tommy Hansen's 24-yard touchdown pass to Tyler Musco with 53 seconds remaining capped a winning drive that spanned 81 yards, overcame a fourth-and-10 and kept the Wolverines (5-0, 2-0) undefeated.

“It's amazing,†said Hansen, who stood with arms raised at the 50-yard line with the student body mobbing him. “This is so big for our school. It just shows how a football team can bring everyone together.â€

Several Westview players fell to the ground in tears. Others hugged and mugged it up for their fans – soaking in the defining moment of a program still in its infancy.

“We told (Hansen) he'd have one more chance to win it,†said Westview coach Mike Woodward. “That final drive was unbelievable. It wasn't his greatest game. But he played with confidence and courage on that final drive.â€

It was Hansen's worst game of the season, statistically speaking. He completed 19-of-47 passes for 219 yards and three interceptions. But he also threw three touchdowns – none bigger than the final one.

“Everything just seemed to slow down,†said Musco, who split two defenders and went untouched in the end zone.

“They said if I beat my man, the seam would open up. All I had to do was catch it.â€

While the offense stalled until the second half, the defense was phenomenal – sacking Valley Center quarterback Tyler Bernard six times, knocking down three passes and allowing three points in the first half.

But Valley Center (4-1, 0-1) rallied in the fourth quarter, scoring on a 7-yard touchdown pass from Bernard to Jeremy Dozier and again on a 67-yard run from Stanton Upson, giving them a 16-13 lead after the missed PAT.

Valley Center failed to convert deep in Westview's territory on fourth-and-1, turning the ball over with 2:28 to play and setting up the dramatic finish.

“I'm sure a lot of people doubted us,†Woodward said. “Hopefully we proved something tonight.â€

I have to admit, I have no idea how to say that... :blush: if I had to guess I would say D, but that's really just a guess

in German that's called "jmd. tunneln" (to tunnel s.o.) :)

but regardless of what's the right choice I'm really looking forward to the explanation, why it's called that :grin: