Who is (or was) the worlds best guitarist?

Jillianne

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if you are basing "best guitar player" on popularity then maybe all these names will work. but on sheer talent you gotta have 1.michael angelo 2.jason becker 3.buckethead 4.yngwie malmsteen 5.steve vai 6.eric johnson 7.shawn lane 8.chris impeliterri 9.john petrucci 10.Paul Gilbert . (not necessarily in that order)

Hendrix credited Les Paul as his major influence. Prior to Les Paul, guitar was regarded only slightly above the harmonica as an instrumental force. The guitar was associated with country/western music as a rythmn instrument and was felt to have no real place in serious music. Les Paul innovated and made popular the style of picking individual notes from out of chord structures much as the Latino guitar stylings of the time, but folded with jazz and country runs and placed within popular tunes. He made the lead guitar appealing and acceptable. Les was also the first guitarist to popularize playing through an amplifier. All the others mentioned in this thread built upon his foundation. Does this make Les Paul the greatest? No. But it means the rest are indebted to him.

Oh, you're all sadly misinformed. Most sources agree that it was Raymond of Toulon (1173 - 1224). Though his debut performances were unheralded, most reviews agree that his concert in support of the Third Crusade (1198) was "simply sublime, a real tour de force; who wouldn't want a go at the heathen after a show like that ? Hold me back cardinal, I may just have to bang my head" (Innocent III, Pope) .

Oh, you're all sadly misinformed. Most sources agree that it was Raymond of Toulon (1173 - 1224). Though his debut performances were unheralded, most reviews agree that his concert in support of the Third Crusade (1198) was "simply sublime, a real tour de force; who wouldn't want a go at the heathen after a show like that ? Hold me back cardinal, I may just have to bang my head" (Innocent III, Pope) .

Wasn't Raymond the guy who drew and quartered his guitar after each performance?

• 3 weeks later...

anyway, who the hell is robin trower????

Mr. Trower spent some time in Procol Harum...he put out one classic solo album...but what an album..Bridge of Sighs. Few can play like him...he sounds like Hendrix without imitating him...I've seen him 3 or 4 times, the most recent in New York a couple years back...still amazing. :guitar: