Who is (or was) the worlds best guitarist?

Jillianne

All the 1's mentioned are great at 1 style. I recently seen Roy Clark do a concert for a PBS station. This wasn't country, but classical in nature and was some really great guitar playing. I also have Randy Rhoads at the top of my list, but cant seem to forget about a man named Junior Brown. He has a lap steel and six string double-neck, and can play the s&*# out of it.I think anyone can pick 1 style and be great at it; it's those that are great at many styles that should be at the top of the list.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that there is no way to put one man or woman as the best guitarist. There are too many damn good players and each is better in there own way. I think Joe Satriani is one of the best guitaristalong with randy rhoads, jimmy page, jimi hendrix, steve vai and a whole ten more pages of people

My vote goes for Clapton or Hendrix :guitar:

I agree with your picks, Gillian, but did I miss someone posting Stevie Ray Vaughan? I have a DVD of him and Double Trouble at Austin City Limits. One performance is 1983 when he was young and wild; the second is in 1989 after he kicked drugs and alcohol. It's amazing how much 6 years can change a person. His playing is phenomenal both times, but it calms and matures with him.

He made it a few years longer than Jimi, but he was still gone too soon.

It's Like Comparing apples and Oranges... Eric Clapton's style is different from Eddie Van Halen and Eddie Van Halen is different from Mark Knopfler and Mark Knopfler is different from Jimi Hendrix... It's all in the eye of the beholder...

But... You pretty much have to go with Hendrix in the Rock World... He actually scared some pretty incredible guitarists when he hit the scene in England... Pete Townshend and Eric Clapton saw him and were blown away... Pete Townshend actually thought that he was out of a job after seeing Hendrix because he felt the rules had changed and he wasn't going to be able to keep up...

Neil Young once said about Jimi Hendrix "There is nobody in the same room as Jimi... He is completely in a class by himself"...

All the 1's mentioned are great at 1 style. I recently seen Roy Clark do a concert for a PBS station. This wasn't country, but classical in nature and was some really great guitar playing. I also have Randy Rhoads at the top of my list, but cant seem to forget about a man named Junior Brown. He has a lap steel and six string double-neck, and can play the s&*# out of it.I think anyone can pick 1 style and be great at it; it's those that are great at many styles that should be at the top of the list.

I agree skip, just think what segovia could have done on an electric, i mean his rhythms kick butt, its just too bad he thought the electric was a waste of a guitar.

Hey all, I'm new to the board and must put in a vote for the late great SteVie Ray Vaughan. His passion, emotion and skill are matched by few, IMO. He left this world too soon, but as SteVie would say "Death is just when people change, you may not be able to see them or talk to them, but they are there"

Jimi Hendrix Was, Is (and may Always Be) the very best guitarist on planet earth.

There is no may about it.

Here are my top 10:

1. The late Jimi Hendrix

2. Eric Clapton

3. B.B. King

4. Eddie Van Halen

5. Slash(Saul Hudson)

6. Joe Satriani

7. David Gilmour

8. Jimmy Page

9. Leo Kottke

10.Neil Young/Stephen Stills...anything of Buffalo Springfield is great

Peace~Daniel :guitar: :rockon:

It's Like Comparing apples and Oranges... Eric Clapton's style is different from Eddie Van Halen and Eddie Van Halen is different from Mark Knopfler and Mark Knopfler is different from Jimi Hendrix... It's all in the eye of the beholder...

And yet, who does'nt like those four wonders of guitar. they are so different but at the same time, so alike. I love the guitar.

Most of the aforementioned guitarists had the advantage of electricity, technical wizardry, and some good guitars. Strip all that away, and the guitarist all those guys will tell you they worship is a man known as Robert Johnson. The man played as though the hellhounds were right behind him... videosjohnson.jpg Ken.

Strip all that away, and the guitarist all those guys will tell you they worship is a man known as Robert Johnson.

Ahh yes, Robert Johnson, the man who sold his soul to satan to further his career. At least, that's what everyone says. There's some nice info to back that up too. He died mysteriously, and then his body disapeered. Eery.

Most of the aforementioned guitarists had the advantage of electricity, technical wizardry, and some good guitars. Strip all that away, and the guitarist all those guys will tell you they worship is a man known as Robert Johnson. The man played as though the hellhounds were right behind him... videosjohnson.jpg Ken.

Amen.

Just look at those fingers. They were made for the fret board.