Who is (or was) the worlds best guitarist?

Jillianne

I would have to say David Gilmour is the best famous guitarist. That's why I modeled my screen name after him. He may not play fast or heavy or technical, but he is probably the most tasteful guitar player ever. His guitar-playing always perfectly fit the song, and he played with such emotion that you just can't top it. If you are considering speed as talent, I would have to say Al Dimeola. That guy's fingers fly faster than the speed of light when he plays.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page would be my top picks. Hendrix was very talented but his style of music and guitar playing didn't influence music like Page and Clapton. The other Yardbirds guitarist was talented also, Jeff Beck. Page created the monolithic riffs that would later evolve into Heavy metal in addition he is a damn fine guitarist, watch Song Remains the Same or the LZ DVD (he was a little sloppy but...). Clapton was part of the first hard Rock trio ( possibly the most influential rock group of the 60's), Cream and was largely responsible for the hard rock movement of the late 1960's and 1970's. Based on that:

1. Page

2. Clapton

3. Hendrix

The Blues has always been my favorite music.Jimi Hendrix has always been at the top of my list.But I also admire Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jeff Beck.I've been listening to Kenny Wayne Shepherd lately and he is great also.There are many great guitarists I left off my list though.But I heard Hendrix first and am loyal to him.

It's kind of ignorance when people mention names in this category and they've only heard famous bands or artists playing. A few years ago, Mark Knopfler (my second place of all time greatest guitar players) received an award for being the best guitar player in the world. On stage when he was giving his gratitude speech he said he didn't consider himself as the best guitar player in the world because there was a guy in Norway called Øystein Sunde ( first place on my list) that was better than him. Eric Clapton (third place on my list) played with Mr. Sunde on a concert in Norway and was amazed by his skills. The last person I will mention is the late Marius Muller (4 place on my list) He was the reason why I started listening to my own country's guitar players instead of finding them other places in the world.

I don't care what any one says: Brian May is the gratest ever!

he played the British National Anthem on to of Bukingham palace, on electric guitar for the queen! What other guitarist has done than, or the equivelant? :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

Being a great guitarist is not about how popular you are; it's not about the venues you play; it's not about the celebrities you play for; it's about being a great guitarist. Some of the best guitarists will remain unnoticed. Some of the most overrated will gain the most popularity. Now I don't know this May fellow, but if you say he is the world's greatest guitarist because he played for the queen, then I can't trust that his popularity is based on talent. David Gilmour is still the best. :guitar:

Oh. Well he is pretty good. I have only heard a few Queen songs. I'm not a guy that really gets into bands that much. But I do like Queen. Still I wouldn't call him the best guitarist, although, he is probably on the top 20 list. I love the solo in Bohemian Rhapsody.

Oh. Well he is pretty good. I have only heard a few Queen songs. I'm not a guy that really gets into bands that much. But I do like Queen. Still I wouldn't call him the best guitarist, although, he is probably on the top 20 list. I love the solo in Bohemian Rhapsody.

You should check out the tunes, "I Want It All" from the album "Miracle" (1989), and "Tie Your Mother Down" from the album "A Day at the Races" (1976). Brian May can really make an axe scream. He's definitely in the top 20.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

All you people say Hendrix was the 'best ever'. No, but he was certainly one of the most creative and most influential. Nowadays, about anybody can play as well as Jimi, but they are just imitating the man. The most skill lies in the shredders, the most influence lies in the legends...but once a legend, there will be thousands of other people who will want to be like you, and more than likely many of them will become better at it than you (you didn't have yourself as a creative influence). Also, best is such a vague word. My favorite guitarists? Jimmy Page and Brian May, hands down.

• 2 weeks later...

Only one?! No way! But since Neal Schon gets left out of most everyone's lists, I'll go ahead and mention him, not because I think he's the best ever, but to remind people to listen to Journey :headphones: Alex Lifeson of Rush comes to mind too, but he definitely gets listed by a lot of people :guitar:

...Now I don't know this May fellow, but if you say he is the world's greatest guitarist because he played for the queen, then I can't trust that his popularity is based on talent.

You've never heard of Brian May???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????