Who is (or was) the worlds best guitarist?

Jillianne

First of all,"neck tapping" is actually called "hammer-ons". And Edgar Winter's 'Frankenstein' has hammer-ons in it. AND, my misinformed friend, it came out 5 years before Eruption. So clearly, it is you that doesn't know what you're talking about.

Also, I think there might be some slower tapping in the BOC song "Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll."

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to many cds to count!

also u all know nothing

I agree with JR, name 10. If you don't, everyone here will assume that you don't have much CD's, and we will say "u know nothing." But I believe that's allready been established, that you don't have any musical wisdom.

Kirk Hammett? I don't care how good he is, Metalica is the single most GAY band on the planet, well it's close. And Jimi Hendrix is way overrated! Steve Vai could play exactly what he played except faster, and Steve Vai could play stuff that Hendrix couldn't! Jimi Hendrix is only considered the best because he is the first good guitar player. It isn't Steve Vai's fault that he wasn't born earlier. There are other too that could match and beat Hendrix, but Steve Vai is my favorite. He definately passed Joe Satriani. (Joe Satriani apparentely taught Steve Vai?) Steve Vai on guitar :guitar: is like Neil Peart on drums :drummer:

Kirk Hammett? I don't care how good he is, Metalica is the single most GAY band on the planet

If you're not into metal then I guess I could see why you're not into them, but IMO they were hugely influential in the genre of speed/thrash metal.

Jimi Hendrix is way overrated!

Explain.

Steve Vai could play exactly what he played except faster, and Steve Vai could play stuff that Hendrix couldn't!

I guess you haven't been reading the thread, but SPEED DOES NOT MATTER. I also highly doubt that Vai Could play Machine Gun or write as good music as Hendrix did.

Jimi Hendrix is only considered the best because he is the first good guitar player. It isn't Steve Vai's fault that he wasn't born earlier.

Hendrix was NOT the first good guitar player. How about Robert Johnson, BB King, Chuck Berry, Albert King etc?

If it weren't for Hendrix there would be no Vai.

There are other too that could match and beat Hendrix, but Steve Vai is my favorite.

In what way was Vai better than Hendrix? Songwriting? Composing the music? How fast he played? How influential?

Double Live Gonzo is a great cd. It is Ted in his prime.

If you listen to 'Stormtroopin', he plays an entire part of the solo without ever using his pick hand. Just bending the string (one string) to get different notes, and sliding up and down the frets. A truly inventive solo.

As far as this guy who thinks the "only reason Hendrix is considered the best is because he was the first good guitarist", you can't really come down on the guy because he is obviously ignorant when it comes to music, just like that other buffoon earlier in this thread.

They've not had the pleasure of exploring music, so they are pigeon-holed into believing what they listen to is the best. And to them, maybe it is.

I am willing to bet theses two guys are fairly young. They haven't looked around, or 'listened around'. Expanded their musical horizons.

we are fortunate in the fact that the younger population here at SF are diverse in their musical tastes.

Just as one example, ChrisWaters90125 appreciates Dave Gilmour's work, and recognizes it as the creative, beautiful work it is.

I doubt these two 'speed is everything' guys even know who Dave Gilmour is. But is that their fault? No, they haven't looked around.

I don't fault these two speed demons for their limited knowledge. I do, however, have a problem coming into our back yard and taking a dump, leaving their offal.

Speed=Greatness. We covered that.

Metallica is gay.

Since when does being gay have anything to do with anything?

Gentlemen, grow up. Or get out of our forum.

I totally agree with JR. Also, to the MadMan who said that Vai would have been able to play Hendrix if he was born earlier, you are wrong. Sure, if Hendrix got all his music from a tablature book he bought at the music store. But Jimi's music was so creative and personal, that nobody could ever imitate it, let alone create it if he wasn't around. I think he is one of the most unique guitarists of all time.

First of All JR, YOU ARE AN IDIOT! If you don't get what I mean by Jimi Hendrix being the first good guitar player, than you should be added to the list of Mentally retarded moron club! You don't think I like metal because I hate Metalica! What an IDIOT! Metalica has horrible lyrics, there all about demons and hell and crap. The singer is so gay! Jimi Hendrix wasn't that good, Steve Vai could so write better music, and he does. Compared to the guitarist today he is terrible!

If it weren't for Hendrix there would be no Vai
Are you mentally retarded? What the heck is that supposed to mean? Hendrix didn't start rock/metal you idiot!
I also highly doubt that Vai Could play Machine Gun or write as good music as Hendrix did.

Do you even know who Steve Vai is? Let me tell you. HE IS THE FREAKIN GREATEST GUITAR PLAYER EVER! He has written better than Hendrix. YOU DON'T THINK VAI COULD PLAY MACHINE GUN. MAYBE YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THE REAPER, OR FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, BY STEVE VAI. You'll have to listen to the whole song, because some parts he does slower, then he goes insane. If you want a really really nice sounding song, listen to: Die to Live. For the love of God is a very sweet song too. You guys should just keep your mouths shut!

Im sorry but i have a few issues with madmans comments...I usually take things in stride and let things go, but i hope you are not serious madman....first of all jr is far from an idiot....he knows his music very well....

another thing is do you have to use such harsh words? I dont think it's necessary to use the phrase mentally retarded in that manor....I happen to work with the developementally disabled...you shouldnt use phrases about persons that are not as fortunate as others....

and one more thing...

who's steve vai?

Before I comment on anything you said about music, what's the point of personally insulting(not that I really care that you did) when you're talking about MUSIC?

You don't think I like metal because I hate Metalica! What an IDIOT! Metalica has horrible lyrics, there all about demons and hell and crap.

LOL I never once said you didn't like metal, I said IF you're not into metal then I could see why could not be into them. Stop reading between the lines. Metallica has never wrote about "demons and hell"(except for Jump Into The Fire) I'm not sure what you consider "good" lyrics but have you listened to any of And Justice For All?!

Anyways aren't 99.9% of metal bands about "demons and hell"? What kind of metal are you listening to that doesn't reference hell, death, Satan etc?

Are you mentally retarded? What the heck is that supposed to mean? Hendrix didn't start rock/metal you idiot!

Again with the insults.

Who did then? If Vai is so good why doesn't he invent a whole sound for the guitar? Why doesn't he start a whole new genre? Why doesn't he inprove an already good genre? Why doesn't he start a whole new revolution of guitar playing?

Yeah why doesn't he do all the stuff Hendrix did? I mean come on he is better than him, right? ;)

Do you even know who Steve Vai is? Let me tell you. HE IS THE FREAKIN GREATEST GUITAR PLAYER EVER! He has written better than Hendrix. YOU DON'T THINK VAI COULD PLAY MACHINE GUN. MAYBE YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THE REAPER, OR FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, BY STEVE VAI.

IF I TYPE IN CAPS DOES THAT MAKE ME COOL ALSO?

Yes I do know who he is, I have three albums by him(Flex-able, Alien Love Secerts, Passion and Warfare.)

I've listened to ALL of For The Love Of God and it's no where near Machine Gun.

He has written better what than Hendrix? Music? Lyrics? Hmm as far as I know Vai almost never writes lyrics, so do YOU know who he is?

I don't think even Vai thinks of him self as "THE Greatest" guitar player ever.

So tell me what makes him so "great"?

You guys should just keep your mouths shut!

mmhmm, it seems like you're the one who's been doing that. You still haven't answer some of my questions on my previous post, so why don't you answer them?

Ok before I end my rant here are 5 things I would like you to do Madman:

1. Do some research on guitar playing.

2. Tell me why Vai is so great.

3. How Hendrix is overrated.

4. How being "gay" has anything to do with being a singer.

5. Stop TRYING to insult someone and don't insult someone you're talking about MUSIC.

whew I think I'm done[/rant]

First of all, are you a beginner guitarist? Yes, I thought so. You are impressed by speed, but will soon find out that speed is incredibly easy to attain. Second of all, just because Steve Vai has incredibly fast fingers doesn't mean he would have been able to write Hendrix songs. Sure he's fast, but he isn't at all innovative. He pretty much coppied all the other fast metal guitarists such as Eddie Van Halen and Joe Satriani.

First of All JR, YOU ARE AN IDIOT! If you don't get what I mean by Jimi Hendrix being the first good guitar player, than you should be added to the list of Mentally retarded moron club!

That was a pretty bad insult. It lacks any clear thought, purpose, relevance, or evidence. In fact, your entire post is pretty bad. You're even worse than the poster known as "VanHalen!" At least he backs up his arguments (although he doesn't do a good job), you just seem to rephrase "Hendrix sucks" "Metallica is gay" "you are retarded" and "Steve Vai is God" over and over again. Try supporting your answer, your post will gain some credibility. For examples of good, coherent, thought-provoking, usefull, inteligent posts, look at some posts by JR. That man knows what he is talking about!

Also, what do you mean Hendrix is bad by today's standards? Have you checked today's standards lately? They're pretty low.

Also, try to keep the "are you retarded?" insults to a minimum, it's insulting to mentally challenged people...who probably have a better understanding of music than you.

Oh snap! You just got burned.

Dear Moderators,

If you think that last part is too offensive, I don't mind if you edit that part out. I just think that if you really want to get to a bad music fan, you need to stoop down to his level of insults.

Sincerely, Batman

Why is there any arguing going on at all in this thread?

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes and everyone has their own opinion as to who is a good guitarist or not.

Why can't everyone just state their choices and let it be at that.

The next poster does not need to argue about why they think the previous poster made a bad choice. Post your favorites and let others do the same.

This isn't a debate forum!

There's no need for all this name calling and rebuttals and arguing.

I haven't even posted any of my favorites because of this.

Let's all act grown up and realize that not everyone has the same taste in music. Your choices may suck in someone else's mind and vice versa but there's no need to argue about it.

Rock on! :rockon: