Who is (or was) the worlds best guitarist?

Jillianne

I'm having lots of fun on SongFacts and I'm not debating.

Joking around and posting funny photos is lots of fun.

Arguing only causes hard feelings between one another and gets out of hand too quickly. :thumbsdown:

Debates don't belong on a musical forum. You should take it to a political forum if that's what turns you on. :thumbsdown:

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sorry, but I only half agree with you. Sure joking around is fun, but a good debate is fun too. Well, it's fun as long as it stays musical. Once it gets to stuff like "if you don't like Steve Vai you are mentally retarded" it's no longer a good argument. And I may have crossed that line, but mostly I try to keep it about music. Some like debating, some dislike debating. Different strokes for different folks. My advice: if you dislike debates, stay out of them.

By the way, your post number is 666. That's not really relevant right now, but I thought I'd point it out :thumbsup:

I agree with the Batman. By definition, a forum is an arena or medium where views may be aired and debated. Debates are entertaining as long as all participants agree to remain civil. Name calling has no place here.

:guitar:

I see what you mean. I was reading the first couple pages of the thread and it was nice conversation, opinions and debating until all the name calling and expletives started being used on pages 3 & 4.

I guess it can be all right as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

This thread did and then other people jumped in and threw more wood on the fire.

People like that get off on negative responses so they can fire back with more trash talk to see how pi$$ed off they can get you. They seem to enjoy it.

If you spot one, "dork" the jack@$$ instead of arguing with him and after a while he'll move on to another forum searching for someone who will argue "trash".

Batman wrote:

By the way, your post number is 666. That's not really relevant right now, but I thought I'd point it out

Musical Interlude:

Woe to you Oh Earth and Sea

for the Devil sends the beast with wrath

because he knows the time is short

Let him who hath understanding

reckon the number of the beast

for it is a human number

its number is six hundred and sixty six.

"The Number Of The Beast" ~ Iron Maiden :rockon:

I read recently that the 'Number of the Beast' had been revised since they re-translated the ancient writings that they'd come from. Apparently it should have been 689 or something (I'll go look it up)....

....also, I like the idea of '668....the neighbour of the beast'...has a nice ring to it :)

The Beast Gets A New Number In Time For Karmageddon

Sat, 30 Apr 2005 12:27:19 -0700Summary:

Recently unearthed documents provide a preserved snapshot into antedelluvian life and times. Everything from Homer to Greco-Roman marital guides. This is amazing. What a wonderful find. These documents have literally stood the test of time. Even better? a new translation of the Book of Revelations, i.e.. The Bible Thumper?s Guide To Judgement Day we find the number of the beast has been misinterpretted. Not 666, but 616. Or, 999 (sticker on the the DOD?s shipping container?s by the way?) to 919 since the subconcious tends to invert numbers and this revelation came to Paul as a dream vision. Now I suppose everyone is going to have to re-do their apocolyptic math. Wonder what this means for all of Crowley?s work and his follower?s. I bet the Vatican is in a bustle. (UH OH) Even better? all the satanists (even though the word satan was hebraic slang for the roman tax collectors? A far cry from the fallen Lucifer?) sporting 666 as a tattoo or emblem advertising how hard and ?evil? they are. I am rolling on the floor laughing? Getting ready to sacrifice a rabid evangelical squirrel and a masonic skunk to the dark masters and secret chiefs of the world? I need more mead, a calculator and an etch-a-sketch so I can write the revised edition of the Bible Code. Run for the hills! Doomsday is nigh upon us! It?s the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine?.

:D :D :D

and

666 wrong number

of prophetic beast?

Newly examined Scripture fragment lends credence to argument it's 616

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: May 8, 2005

2:17 p.m. Eastern

? 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

For centuries, people have been intrigued by the number 666, the "number of the beast" from the Book of Revelation in the New Testament.

Not only is it mentioned in the Bible, it has been associated with the Satanism, universal price codes and the game of roulette, as the numbers on the wheel add up to 666.

Now, the legendary number is getting a fresh look, as researchers are re-examining evidence the number may actually be 616.

Fragment from Book of Revelation mentions 616 in the third line ? chi, iota, sigma (courtesy Egypt Exploration Society)

In the King James Version of the Bible, the well-known verse of Revelation 13:18 reads:

"Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."

While many Bible have footnotes saying the number translated from the original Greek could be 616, experts say new photographic evidence of an ancient fragment of papyrus from Revelation indeed indicates the number is indeed 616, instead of 666.

Scholars in England have been using modern technology to scour some 400,000 bits of papyri which were originally discovered in 1895 at a dump outside the ancient Egyptian city of Oxyrhynchus. Many of the sections have been damaged and discolored, but an imaging process is shedding new light on the sacred text, believed to have originally been penned by John, one of Jesus' 12 apostles.

"This is a very nice piece to find," Ellen Aitken, a professor of early Christian history at McGill University, told Canada's National Post. "Scholars have argued for a long time over this, and it now seems that 616 was the original number of the beast."

The papyrus in the spotlight is believed to be from about 300 A.D.

"This is very early confirmation of that number, earlier than any other text we've found of that passage," Aitken said. "It's probably about 100 years before any other version."

:D :: :D

Oh man, I missed a sweet debate. So i'm gonna give my four pennies.

First of all, Batman, I do not like your comments on judging that Van Halen is a beginner guitarist. I too am a beginner guitarist and I would not like to be judged like that.

Van Halen, your theorys are absolutely ridiculous. Neck-tapping is not the key element of guitar. Neither is speed. Music is about beauty in my opinion. I wonder if Eddie Van Halen or Steve Vai can Fingerpick fast arpeggios or come up with brilliant but simple riffs.

Also, I would like to see either of them play the acoustic guitar, and see how their solos sound there compared to, lets say Pink Floyds Wish You Were Here or anything. I'd give them a week to come up with a better song than that on the acoustic guitar. Plus, I learned it 3 months into playing.

I recently learned the Stairway To heaven solo on my guitar. A teacher I had couldn't play that, but I definetly do not think I am better than him. he can pick up a guitar and do just about anything with regular chords and make them sound beautiful.

Oh and To madman where you said "Steve Vai definetly passes Joe Satriani". I definetly disagree. If you have seen G3 live in denver, you would certainly think of Satriani as the best of these three. He incorrporates all kinds of music, and when tey all jam together, you can see how Vai and Malmsteen look to him for what is happening next. so he doesnt have the loudest or fastest solos, he has the ear-splitting chords, the big finishes and the respect of others. There are so many different factors that make a good guuitarist, if you spent time on a guitar you would realize that as I have. Speed is near the bottom of the list.

Thanks, Daniel

• 5 weeks later...

1.Van Halen:Van Halen

2.Rising Force:Yngwie J. Malmsteen

3.Weekend Worriors:Ted Nugent

4.Animals-Pink Floyd

5.Led Zeppelin 4 (man w/ sticks):Led Zeppelin

6.Tommey-The Who

7.The Doors-The Doors

8.Nevermind-Nirvana

9.Rocket to Russia-The Ramones

10.Toys in the Attic-Aerosmith

happy....?

Interesting. You have some fine guitar work there. I don't understand why you insist that speed = greatness. Speed is a nice tool to possess, but it in no way makes one a great guitarist.

let me ask you this...do you think Angus Young is a great guitarist?

I know he´s boring, but some Mark Knopfler from time to time is even relaxing...

Oh Edna, my dear. On this we must disagree. Mark Knopfler is many things (brilliant, innovative, versatile) but IMO, he is never boring. If you have only listened to his work with Dire Straits (which is excellent), I suggest you try some of his solo work like Sailing To Philadelphia, Golden Heart, Neck & Neck (with Chet Atkins), The Ragpicker's Dream and Shangri-La. The best concert I have ever seen, was Knopfler and Clapton at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto. They played together on stage throughout the concert. Two amazing guitaritsts jamming on one another's material. Simply amazing.

:guitar:

ok people i think we are all forgetting Slash here. :guitar: anyway velvet revolver sucks but deep down we all love guns n roses :coolio:

anyway me being a heavy metal person myself i have to say that Elegy by As I Lay Dying has a great guitar intro and the guitar solo(s) on Carnal Forge by Carcass is the best speed guitar i have ever heard.

that is all please continue worshipping me

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...