So much more than Random Thoughts

_Laurie_

Listening to Sydney FM radio so I won't be too stunned by the intonation , cadence and strange vocabulary they use next week .

;)

Right now , I think if I just say ' Too right , mate ' or ' S'truth , mate ' ; ' good on ya ' to whatever is said , I can get by .

I feel daunted by these non-English speaking countries .

Listening to Sydney FM radio so I won't be too stunned by the intonation , cadence and strange vocabulary they use next week .

;)

Right now , I think if I just say ' Too right , mate ' or ' S'truth , mate ' ; ' good on ya ' to whatever is said , I can get by .

I feel daunted by these non-English speaking countries .

Good idea, Bruce...

An elderly woman today walking across the grocery store parking lot in the blazing heat, and obviously hampered by some sort of brace on her leg, stopped me to ask if I had a cell phone she could use to call her daughter because her car key wasn't working. I hesitated, and she saw it, and said, "That's okay, I'll go inside and ask." I said no - no problem. And got my phone out and she used it and everything was dandy.

But I hate it that I hesitated. I hate it that I hesitated.

Growing up where I did, I've been so conditioned to be wary of anyone who approaches me, elderly or not, that I would have done the same thing as you. Your first instinct is to think about it and judge the situation as quickly as possible and then help out once you realize there's no danger/trick going on. But while you're doing that, the person can see you thinking they want to pull something on you and in the middle of all this, you then start thinking you're a horrible person for thinking about anything to start with!

It's the only downside I can think of to growing up when I did, not necessarily where. You are automatically distrustful of everyone you see, whether you have a reason to be or not. My parents are both from Chicago, grew up within the city but at a much different time; 50s and 60s. I grew up there in the 80s and 90s when the area I lived in was not very conducive to raising a family.

It was an unfortunate but natural response. I'd have hated it too. But, the saving grace part is, she realized the situation and understood it herself. She'd have hestitated as well, if she were in your shoes.

Shawna, just a couple of nights ago coming home from work I passed a car along the side of the road....it was after midnite and it was on a very dark country road...no houses or stores around...they flashed there lights at me as I went by...and thiniking they probably need some kind of help....but I kept on driving...I did not have my cell phone and I was alone...I felt guilty but I was also afraid to stop to ask....I told hubby when I got home.....the car was only a couple of minutes from where I lived....hubby went to check it out with me.....It was POURING RAIN also!....Turns out they had a flat tire, and no spare tire....It was a young kid about 19 or 20...He used our cell to call his Dad....

yeah, a single woman driving alone at night... you did exactly right. :)

thanks for the support for my behavior, guys... makes me feel a little better. I did ask her if she needed anything else, and I would have waited with her for her daughter if I hadn't had ice cream in my cart. :crazy:

The town I live in right now, I moved to because of the Shawna's and Laurie's in this world.

The was over 20 years ago. Now, everyone is just afraid to do what you guy's did. How sad is that :(

We no longer live in a society where we cane be/feel safe helping out our fellow man :(

you know, and I just think of my mom needing help ever, when she's out shopping on her own or something. she's barely able to get around the house by herself, yet she insists that keep what little personal time she can (totally understandable) and get away from Dad. So I send my guardian angels to her to watch over her sometimes.

What makes it stranger still is that this was a series of now 3 nice things that I've been asked to do and done. First was helping the old lady outside my condo (she is fine, actually, I saw her out walking around the other day and waved to her), then an older woman stopped us and asked if my son could lift a 5 gallon jug of water into her cart, and now this. So maybe good things come in 3s also. :)

I know how you feel. That makes you a better person. You cannot ignore what's going on around but you still believe in those things like helping each other, trust your neighbour, lend a hand and make a better world.

Many years ago I was with a friend crossing a street, I saw a car running toward us at an amazing speed. I pushed my friend and jumped into the sidewalk so the car didn' t get us but it did hit the guy behind us. My first reaction was one step behind... while my friend immediately kneeled on the man on the pavement to see if she could help.

I told my friend how much I hated myself for my reaction and how I was proud of her...

Sometimes we have strange reactions... human ones. That doesn't mean you're a coward... but being ashamed of that nano-second is what makes us better.

That very instinct has saved many women from a terrible fate. Never ignore it.

I'll buy that , Joe , but I can still see why she feels bad . It's relative to where you are . You live in Philly and I wouldn't even trust a cop there - just an instinctive prejudice , and the same for having grown up hearing what a hole NY is , as well . Mind you she lives there , and knowing Shawna , could clean the old girl's clock if she had to . I think what she really is stunned by is the fact , as Lea said , that there was a time when such an encounter meant nothing more than a chance to help someone or not - and she had to think about it .

Let's turn the clock back , folks ...

I think a different aspect of human nature takes over in this situation...it isn't about human trust, it's about how we view our personal space. Cell phones have become a very intimate, personal part of most people's lives. It is yours, it is in your pocket or bag all the time. It's on your face, your mouth, your ears...you don't want that personal space invaded. I don't want a stranger using my cell phone.

Last year, a kid that I didn't know seemed stranded at a high school gym. He was probably 15-16 years old. He asked if he could use my cell phone and I told him "no" but I'll place the call for you. I did and he was able to get his ride home.

But , again , you folk are all street-wise to your situations. That kid could take your phone and run , surely . I really admire immigrants or tourists who want to go and live or hang out in major centers with their own 'rules ' - and have no idea why they would want to go through it .

In my town of 35, 000 , you could ask nearly ANYONE for help and they would gladly do so , as they would enjoy a chance to poke their nose in someone else's business for a while . :laughing:

The town I live in is a far cry from Chicago, both size-wise and culturally but I still retain that Chicago street sense anyway. Crime around here is mostly non-existent, but I can't sleep unless every door is locked, the windows locked, the blinds pulled down, the curtains shut....if I think there's any available port of entry for an intruder, I can't sleep. If you're going to break in, you won't do it silently. You'll have to bust the door down or something.

My parents tell me I'm paranoid, but I just never shook off that big-city feeling. I can't suddenly pretend I live in Mayberry and keep the front door unlocked or something.

Same as if someone approaches me when I'm in public. In Chicago, you keep walking. Obviously if the person is a child or in clear distress (bleeding, showing signs of a sexual attack, screaming/hysterics) you do something, but otherwise you just keep walking. Down here, I do the same. I don't like strangers, I'm always wary of people I don't know, even if I have no reason to be.