Announcements

edna

Marc, I looked the website over as soon as you'd posted it, but forgot to tell you how great it is! For everyone that had anything to do with it ... nice work! The site is easy to manouver, and full of interesting reading.

I'll bet your father in law is wonderful to listen to. I love stories about the old days, and what interesting days he must have had.

I love NYC, Laurie!! :cool: Enjoy!

And I´m changing my job in December. I´ll be working in some better place, my kind of job and some more money... but anyways, I won´t be home for most of the time :P and I hope I will have some Christmas holidays...

Here is the more polished, pimped version of the announcement for the CD. What do you think?

Dear Friends, Fans, and Associates, We are proudly announcing the release of Bill Henderson’s Brand NEW album. Entitled ‘Beautiful Memory’- Bill Henderson - Live At The Vic. This self released album was recorded in March 2007 at The Vic in Santa Monica, California on the occasion of Bill’s 81st birthday. Its official release date is Jan 20, 2009 BUT IT IS NOW Available for Pre-Ordering at www.billhendersonmusic.com by pay pal or money order.

This historical limited edition album pressing of 500 copies will excite the fans with its really gorgeous packaging, design and a fascinating four page booklet with very rare photo’s from his incredible career. Each Pre-ordered album will be shipped autographed in gold by Bill Henderson. Please visit Bill’s NEW web page above and click on the link MUSIC to PRE-ORDER your copy now, it will sell out fast. There is also a phone number on the web page to contact Ahuh Productions if you do not have an internet connection. Watch for our announcements coming HERE in January 2009 for The Official Record Release Party coming soon!

This is what Jazz Reviewer ' Lee Hildebrand' - said about this Very Special album.

Bill Henderson just gets better with time. The release of Beautiful Memory: Bill Henderson Live at the Vic, recorded in Santa Monica, California, on March 22, 2007, three days following his 81st birthday, marks the venerable jazz vocalist’s golden anniversary as a recording artist. His pliant baritone voice remains as soulful and richly resonant as it was when he made his debut on vinyl singing “Senor Blues†with Horace Silver and on his own early albums for the Vee-Jay and Verve labels, yet four decades in Hollywood as a character actor in countless motion pictures and television sit-coms and dramas have helped to give even greater depth to his clearly enunciated readings of lyrics.

†Beautiful Memory“ is in many ways a retrospective of Henderson’s repertoire. The tender Harold Arlen–Truman Capote ballad “A Sleepin’ Bee†was one of the most popular tunes on the singer’s 1959 debut LP for Vee-Jay, on which he was backed by the Ramsey Lewis Trio. The swinging treatment of Jimmie Davis’s “You Are My Sunshine†stems from the classic 1963 Verve album Bill Henderson with the Oscar Peterson Trio, although Henderson’s current pianist, Tateng Katindig, gives the number a fresh arrangement. Other highlights include a rare vocal reading of Clarence and Spencer Williams’s usually instrumental “Royal Garden Blues,†the B.B. King hit “Never Make Your Move Too Soon†(which Henderson says he “stole†from Ernestine Anderson), the seldom-performed Duke Ellington–Don George song “Tulip or Turnip†(originally sung by Ray Nance), and a unique rendition of Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer’s “That Old Black Magic,†begun at a much slower pace than usual before shifting to a mid-tempo “Killer Joeâ€-like groove.

Besides pianist Katindig, a native of the Philippines who has distinguished himself in the U.S. through work with Lou Rawls, Teddy Edwards, and Richie Cole, Henderson’s highly empathetic trio features bassist Chris Conner and drummer Roy McCurdy. Conner’s resume includes stints with Chet Baker, Johnny Hartman, and Bobby Caldwell. McCurdy has been one of the most in-demand drummers in jazz since joining the Jazz Brothers (Chuck and Gap Mangione) in 1961 and is best known for his lengthy tenures with Cannonball Adderley and Nancy Wilson.

To the delight of his old fans and others who’ve just become acquainted with his awesome vocal art, Henderson has stepped up his musical activities over the past few years. He’s even resumed touring and has appeared in New York at the John F. Kennedy Center, the Hotel Algonquin’s famed Oak Room, and the Rose Room at Lincoln Center. Henderson’s return to a more active singing career is a most welcome development, and Beautiful Memory, his fifth live album, is a remarkable document of a veteran singer at the height of his abilities as an interpreter of songs.

The fact that it was recorded LIVE makes it all the more powerful.

Lee Hildebrand – October, 2008

I can't wait to hear RaggedyTim. I'm picturing a doll, like Raggedy Ann, but one that looks like SkellingTim. ;) Does anyone have the link quickly available? I keep forgetting to save it. :P

Edit: nevermind, I found it: wvfi.nd.edu

Edited by Guest