Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

watched four movies the last four nights

3:10 To Yuma- the best of these four, a great plot, convincing characters and a good ending.

9/10

Eastern Promises- about russian mob life. a great twist at the end. 8/10

Michael Clayton- really interesting, especially since both my parents are lawyers. plot kept me thinking but a few loose ends. 8.5/10

No Country For Old Men- sorry, everyone who loved this movie, but I didn't think it was the best of the decade or anything. the plot was alright, what they did with it was excellent. 8/10

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Country For Old Men- sorry, everyone who loved this movie, but I didn't think it was the best of the decade or anything. the plot was alright, what they did with it was excellent. 8/10

I watched it last week. I loved, loved, loved the acting... and it was a very good plot... but it quickly deteriorated somehow between me having to pause it to run to the store for medicine for my kid, doing laundry, etc. - and the next thing I knew I came back, and he said the dream ended. And then *poof*. I'm at a loss with what to do with that, Friend-o.

Javier Bardem was supremely creepy. His eyes were creepy. I think he'd scare me if saw him on the street and our eyes met I'd run fast in another direction.

No Country For Old Men-I liked the movie but "picture of the year"??? Nah.

Javier Bardem was good but "best actor"??? Nah!

C'mon, are our expectations that low these days?

By such standards every Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry role would be Oscar worthy.

Coen Bros....you've fallen since Fargo...IMHO.

Edited by Guest
I had more to say. Got a problem wit dat?

I've seen two movies over this break.

1. La Graine et le Mulet (The Secret of the Grain): It's a movie about couscous. Excellent camera, dialogue, acting... it's all incredibly natural and real and the actors come across as normal people you pass on the street. They could be your own family. But there's something so attractive about them. Very well executed but a bit stretched out. My major gripe... the ending. It's one of those stupid open-endings that I am quite sick of now. It's not arty and indie to leave a story open for interpretation anymore! It would be a lot more arty and indie if fewer films/plays did it but it's going overboard now! A long drawn out.... anticlimax. cost it 3 points, but since I'm nice I give it 7/10

2. The Kite Runner - I went to see this with a couple of friends from Delhi. I think we managed to 'associate' with the film a bit more given that the concepts and even the language weren't completely alien to us. We could vaguely follow the dialogue and the kite-flying, the family set up, and the surroundings weren't all that strange or distant.

I give this movie a 2/10... it's SO well done and I'm especially in awe of the filming of the kite fights. However, it was really intense and I often wished it would 'get over already!' Now see, that's not a good thing. But it didn't do that silly open-ending thing, so I give it +1 for that resulting in a 3/10 overall. And I'm never watching it again!

I had posted about the book No Country For Old Men on the books thread and I didn't like the ending either.

I really want to see the movie to tho. I always like to try to read the book before I see the movie and I liked it right up to the end. I will watch the movie anyway :D

The Forbidden Zone ~ Starring The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo (and a host of others)

Co-Written and produced by Richard Elfman, big brother of Danny... Weird, but not altogether bad.... Oingo Boingo (still the early performance troupe)Danny Elfman, Herve Villechiez, and a motley cast of odd charachters. A cult classic (?) apparently. If I were younger, and very high (this film would be truly bad-trip inducing on acid, no doubt) I probably would have really liked it. As it was, I sat with my mouth open most of the time. Ultimately, I didn't finish it this time, but just may at some point. Very artsy/fartsy, I suppose, and may well be worth the time spent...just not for me. 6/10.