Rate the Last Movie You've Seen

Farin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend and I watched "Hot Fuzz" yesterday and laughed until it hurt.

Simon Pegg is absolutely brilliant as the gung ho, hyperactive and by the book London copper (Nicholas Angel) who finds himself reassigned to a seemingly quiet English town. Once there he is paired up with a witless, naive, junk food eating partner who is in awe of Angel's London exploits.

Angel is initially bemused by the intrusive nature of life in the small town and by the somewhat lax and cavalier attitude of the local constabulary towards prosecuting criminals.

Life, however, becomes considerably more interesting when Angel begins investigating a series of horrific "accidents" which he soon discovers occur with alarming regularity in the quiet rural backwater.

I won't give away any more of the plot, but suffice it to say there are some interesting and absurd plot twists that are truly hilarious.

While Pegg is undeniably the star of the movie, some of the supporting cast members are excellent as well. Timothy Dalton is suitably oily as the owner of a local Supermarket. Rory McCann is brilliant as the hulking, slow-witted grocery boy who has a two word vocabulary in the film (Yarp and Narp). And Pegg's frequent co-star Nick Frost is great as the pudgy, eager, impressionable sidekick PC Danny Butterman.

Although the course language and sometimes graphic violence make this film inappropriate for younger children, it is a quirky and often hilarious send-up of American police action films.

I give this movie a 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Now I'll have to rent Shaun Of The Dead.

Loved that movie

"See that guy with his hood pulled down? I think he's up to something."

"Really? I think he's probably just f***-ugly."

Live Free...Die Hard... I'll bump that up to a 7.5/10! Totally unbelievable, but a veritable celebration of exploding vehicles, fights, and other violent shoot em up situations. I enjoyed the h*ll out of it! :)

I just got back from seeing Charlie Wilson's War, starring Tom Hanks, Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Julia Roberts. Great movie, regardless of your politics! :) 8.5/10

Edited by Guest
mixed up Hoffmans name...

To Be Or Not To Be

I last saw this movie about a decade ago and then VCR's went out of vogue (the tape broke too). This time I enjoyed every last 'drop' of it and it made me laugh... lots :grin: It's Mel Brooks after all... d'you expect any less than an 11/10?

I double featured it the other day, with Walk Hard and Juno.

Walk Hard is definitely a loveit/hateit film... I liked it, the Beatles jokes, the Dylan stuff, all the songs... Tim Meadows... and John Reilly is a reallyreallyreally good actor.

and Juno... well that's just one of those special little films that make you a little happier inside, and I love Michael Cera... I have poppop in the attic....

Once.... 8/10

I liked this, more than I thought. The first 30 minutes were a bit tough for me, just getting used to the heavy accents. If asked during those minutes if the movie was good, I'd have probably said so-so. By the end of the film, I was unhappy that we'd reached the end. I wanted there to be more, it was that good. The one thing I do disagree with that I'd previously heard, is that it's considered a musical. I didn't find it to be a classic musical (in form) as much as a film about music. But that's just nit picking, it was all in all very good.

I saw Hairspray for the first time the other day ...there's no way you can watch that movie and not be in a great mood by the end.

I guess I defy explanation. :puppyeyes: I could only get through the first 45 minutes or so of that one... then I was mad because I had spent money on the rental. :laughing: :laughing:

Now, for anyone who hasn't seen "Walk Hard," here's the lyrics to the funniest song I've heard in a long, long, long time... and oh by the way, I give this movie a 10+++

"Let's Duet"

Cox: Hello Darlene.

Darlene: Hello, Mr. Cox.

Cox: Are you ready to sing one?

Darlene: I'm always ready.

Cox: All right. In my dreams you're blowing me…Some kisses.

Darlene: That's one of my favorite things to do.

Cox: You and I could go down… In history.

Darlene: That's what I'm planning to do with you.

Together: Let's duet, in ways that make us feel good.

Let's duet, and make that sacred sound, put two and two together,

perfect harmony we found.

We know it's only natural, lets do it!

Cox: I'm going to beat off… All my demons.

Darlene: That's what loving Jesus is all about.

Cox: Looking in your eyes, I start believing.

Darlene: Let's bring this whisper to shout.

Together: Let's duet. In ways that make us feel good.

Let's duet, and make that sacred sound.

Put two and two together, perfect harmony we found.

We know it's only natural. Let's do it.

Cox: Did I hear you sighing?

Darlene: What are you implying?

Cox: Look a little tired.

Darlene: Music's got me wired.

Cox: Pretty good looking

Darlene: Boy we're really cooking

Together: Now!

Cox: I just want to make out… What you're saying.

Darlene: Read my lips. It's what you're looking for.

Cox: Here I am, sneaking up behind ya.

Darlene: You can always come in my back door.

Together: Let's duet, in ways that make us feel good.

Let's duet, and make that sacred sound.

Put two and two together, perfect harmony we found.

We know it's only natural. Let's do it.