Ruin a song

Red Fish

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Ticket to ride" by The Carpenters is... weird... :P

I was reading a little thing about that song just last night... Somebody was saying that the actual song title had originally been "Ticket to Rye," some town in England (although I searched and only found a place named Ryde). They never clearly pronounce the "d" at the end of it, so you can see where that came from.

I know what you mean, but might it not be "In this ever-changing world in which we're livin'"? Still a bit ham-fisted, but that's McCartney for you.

Are you suggesting that Sir Paul of the Hoppy Folk is a persuant of the habit of 'pig fisting'? :blush: You cad, bounder and all-sorts of nasty phrases person, you.! :( I am aghast. :(

It's not exactly news , but you know that really distinctive guitar-riff that permeates Nirvana's "Come As You Are" (intro and verses); y'know, the hookline? It was stolen wholesale from influential UK post-punk band Killing Joke's jaunty stomper "Eighties". Not just vaguely reminiscent ofthe original, not hinting at plagiarism, but a flagrant and indisputable rip-off.

I believe Nirvana fessed up and settled out of court.

Can't help noticing that alot of people are hung up on matters geographical. Lou Reed did an album about Berlin, but (shock!horror!) he's actually from New York...not German at all. I'm from Leeds, but if I wanted to write songs about Edinburgh, Doncaster or St.Albans, I can't see what's to stop me. Come to think of it, I once wrote a song, in French, about France...but am I French? Non.

I suppose where there's wilful fakery going on...

Ever wondered about the origins of Joe Strummers highly individual manner of speech? I supposed you would have had to have heard him speaking, but, believe me it's a little unusual. You can't pin down that accent, that timbre. It resulted from years of faking his identity, straining for "street credibility" and to conceal his privileged background (son of a foreign diplomat, expensive boarding-school education), far, far, removed from the "guttersnipe, multicultural class-warrior/man of-the-people" image he wished to project.

Chew on that, whilst headbanging along to "Career Opportunities, (the ones that never knock)", "White Riot", or whatever.

Being several years older than his punk-rock peers, Strummer also spent much of the late 70s lying about his age, (as well as indulging in countless examples of crass, pseudo-violent, macho posturing).