Ruin a song

Red Fish

In this thread, ruin a song for someone with a little-known "fact" about it or the artists behind it. But if your fact isn't true, please note so. :P

Jim Gordon, the guy who played the piano piece near the end of Derek & The Dominoes' Layla, beat his mother to death with a hammer.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cringe when, in Small Town, John Mellencamp sings-"No I cannot forget from where it is that I come from." That is just horrible grammar.

I also hate the line in The Eagles "Wasted Time"-"and the hours go by like minutes." The whole idea of the passage is that time is slow and doesn't seem to be passing for the girl to get over the guy, so wouldn't the minutes go by like hours?

And I covered my thoughts on "Shannon" in the quiz section. At least the dog gets street cred from being owned by the Beach Boys.

I cringe when, in Small Town, John Mellencamp sings-"No I cannot forget from where it is that I come from." That is just horrible grammar.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one alive who notices stuff like this! I've always wanted to throttle him for doing that. But I guess it's poetic justice. :crazy:

Actually, "Wasted Time" by the Eagles is more about hitting middle age and finding yourself alone and lonely after one, possibly more, failed relationships, and trying to compensate with one-night stands, booze, and/or drugs.

"Hours go by like minutes" means that the older you get the faster time goes by for you, until you have to stop and wonder where your life went. And when Joe Walsh says "I could have done so many things baby, if I could only stop my mind from wondering what I left behind, and from worrying about this wasted time", he is actually pointing out the irony of wasting even more your life thinking about the time you've lost.

The Blue Ridge Mountains barely touch West Virginia; most of the Shenandoah River flows through Virginia before flowing into Jefferson County, West Virginia where it meets the Potomac at Harpers Ferry. So why are these mentioned in John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Roads"? (At least the Statler Brothers correct the opening line to "Almost heaven, old Virginia," but being a West Virginian, it sort of irks me that they sing "old Virginia" (instead of West Virginia) because they are from the part of Virginia where the Shenandoah flows and the Blue Ridge Mountains rise!)