Ruin a song

Red Fish

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent link Farin. :thumbsup:

Speaking as one who enjoys a smartly-worded debate, I'd have to congratulate that "Wiki-is-truth" for his dogged persistence, meticulous attention to detail and impeccable reasoning in putting the sycophantic obfuscators on the back foot. If you've got the time and the stomach for it, I'd recommend reading this article for a clearer understanding of what allegedly happened, the nature of Townshend's criminal record and his status (in UK law) as a registered sex offender. Be warned though, it's not the easiest of articles to digest in one go.

What a "Police Caution" means in UK justice system

In order to safeguard the offender's interests, the following conditions must be met before a caution can be administered -

there must be evidence of guilt sufficient to give a realistic prospect of conviction;

the offender must admit the offence;

the offender must understand the significance of a caution and give informed consent to being cautioned.

Where the available evidence does not meet the standard normally required to bring a prosecution, a caution cannot be administered.

A caution will not be appropriate where a person does not make a clear and reliable admission of the offence (for example if intent is denied or there are doubts about his mental health or intellectual capacity).

I never know what to think about this debate. I've read a lot about it, also the book (well, it wasn't the finished book yet obviously) that he was writing, called A Different Bomb, and while I do support him and believe that he accessed those images for the purpose of research only, I have to say that it was an incredibly stupid thing to do. That said, he wasn't prosecuted, he sent a letter to the FBI before he paid for those pictures, he had his reasons in some way, and I don't think people should drag this on. Sure, he's in the public eye, but...

That was Ted Nugent, not Steven Tyler.

Wrong. ted nugent adopted a 15 or 16 year old Hawaiian chick so he could have sex with her. steve adopted a 14 year old girl, got her pregnant, and she ended up getting an abortion. It's in the Walk This Way bio.

They had the images on their computers; they were not caught buying it.

I never know what to think about this debate. I've read a lot about it, also the book (well, it wasn't the finished book yet obviously) that he was writing, called A Different Bomb, and while I do support him and believe that he accessed those images for the purpose of research only, I have to say that it was an incredibly stupid thing to do. That said, he wasn't prosecuted, he sent a letter to the FBI before he paid for those pictures, he had his reasons in some way, and I don't think people should drag this on. Sure, he's in the public eye, but...

Uh, I don't think talking with the FBI gives anyone a carte blanche to commit crimes.

• 2 weeks later...

While we're on the theme of songs ruined by links to underage sexuality, I'll revisit a song I brought up in a recent Films And Music thread.

"Endless Love" by Diana Ross and Lionel Richie is one of the biggest U.S. hit singles, and one of the most haunting, mind-blowingly beautiful love songs, of all time. But does anyone remember the movie it came from? Anyone?!?

[* sound of crickets chirping *]

Well, after hearing the song recently for the first time in a long while, it occurred to me that I didn't remember a thing about the movie either. So, out of sheer morbid curiosity, your intrepid investigator decided to look up the movie on IMdB. Big, big, *HUGE* honking mistake. In light of its original context, I can never think of the song in quite the same way again. Don't follow the above link unless you want the song forever ruined for you too. (Hint: The movie Endless Love was Brooke Shields' follow-up to The Blue Lagoon, both movies were made while she was still underage, and... let's just say the latter film should probably make anyone's short list of the most blatant typecasts in Hollywood history.)

I'm not crazy about Michael Madsen anymore either.

Cruel bastardo! (the gas splash took the proverbial cake).

Just proves what a great actor he is...to overpower Gerry Rafferty, that is.

Anyway, nothing like lending an ear . . . reminds me of that artist and his estranged girlfriend, what was his name?

Edited by Guest
spelt Madsen wrong

"Endless Love" by Diana Ross and Lionel Richie is one of the biggest U.S. hit singles, and one of the most haunting, mind-blowingly beautiful love songs, of all time. But does anyone remember the movie it came from? Anyone?!?

[* sound of crickets chirping *])

I remember the movie. It skeeved me out beyond belief. I don't recommend it, but the book it was based on scarred my fragile young teenage mind for years after. Yikes.

'Twas Van Gogh, Muzik. Of course you know that, but I'll take the bait anyway. :insert smiley missing one ear here:

Edited by Guest
To answer Muzik's rhetorical question. Get off my back with all the questions, would you?

I know what you mean, but might it not be "In this ever-changing world in which we're livin'"? Still a bit ham-fisted, but that's McCartney for you.

This is one of the most mis-heard lines of Sir McCartney's rule of the pop charts. The tru line is, "But IF this ever changing world in which we're livin' makes you give in and cry, say Live and Let Die!