Ask a Songfactor

Kevin

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shawna I raised 3 boys ... tired ones. My youngest most especially was (is?) tired all the time. Goes to bed fairly early, will sleep late if possible, and unless it's something really good would rather sleep than do a lot of things. My kid when bored, would rather spend his time sleeping than killing time watching tv, or playing video games, music, computer, etc. He liked to sleep.

Most boys go through a growth spurt at around 14-16. It's tiring for the body, and to make up for it they sleep. Add to that the above tendancy, and you get a sleeping all the time kid. Regular medical checkups are important, but as long as that comes out ok, I'd say your kid is perfectly normal.

I have two teenage boys and one girl...all three are very athletic...they are never too tired to be out with friends and like staying up late on weekends.

They have very regular sleep schedules during the school year (except my oldest who is away at Rutgers). Sometimes there is severe laziness, but that can go away in a flash if a friend calls with something to do. I think kids can have selective tiredness which can easily become chronic if it is allowed to last.

When I was a teenager (stop laughing it wasn't that long ago) I was never tired. I was more athletic than my own kids, playing school sports, town sports and then sandlot sports in the free time. As long as I was up and active I was fine. If I stopped to take a break, it meant it was time to sleep until the next sport came around (or school).

I don't expect every kid to participate in heavy duty sports, but I think it has a regulating effect and snaps those doldrums away.

If he seems to be intentionally avoiding his friends though, he might just be depressed. That happens to pretty much every teenager too.

EDIT: To clarify, I can identify with sleeping all the time to avoid social situations when I felt like being away from people.

Edited by Guest

Can someone answer a couple of questions about Windows Media player for me?

First, Why, if I have all the information on a song, artist, album, year etc. does it still put a lot of the songs under various artists?

Example: It's listing some of The Beatles under The Beatles and some of them under various artists :stars: All the information is right there. I don't get it!!!

I don't know what to do to get them to where I want them. It also puts about half of my Pink Floyd MP3's under unknown artists even tho it has the artist listed as PF.

I have a lot of Cd's I need to put back on my PC and don't have time to keep trying to get them where they should be going anyway grrrrrr :beady:

Next question, would anyone know why it's not letting me rip some of my cd's? They were all back up mp3s I made just so if I ever lost my hard drive (like I did) I could just put them back on my new drive.

I can play them but can't rip some of them. The CD's contain various artists and I have ripped some of these cd's before with no problem. This is really getting on my last nerve :beady:

Any ideas?

thank you all for your input! My kid doesn't intentionally avoid his friends, nor does he sleep more than usual. He just complains about being tired an awful lot. He used to be really physically active, and about 3 months ago it stopped. No more skateboarding, period. That coincides with the tiredness.

He plays a lot of video games, he spends lots of time on art (he loves to draw), and he does a whole lotta texting... I've been looking for signs of depression/drugs, and outside of the tiredness complaints and fairly frequent headaches, there's nothing to suggest those problems.

But because I'm a mom and I worry, I will haul him in and have the doctor tell me what's what. :crazy:

First, Why, if I have all the information on a song, artist, album, year etc. does it still put a lot of the songs under various artists?

Example: It's listing some of The Beatles under The Beatles and some of them under various artists :stars: All the information is right there. I don't get it!!!

I don't know what to do to get them to where I want them. It also puts about half of my Pink Floyd MP3's under unknown artists even tho it has the artist listed as PF.

I have a lot of Cd's I need to put back on my PC and don't have time to keep trying to get them where they should be going anyway grrrrrr :beady:

Next question, would anyone know why it's not letting me rip some of my cd's? They were all back up mp3s I made just so if I ever lost my hard drive (like I did) I could just put them back on my new drive.

I can play them but can't rip some of them. The CD's contain various artists and I have ripped some of these cd's before with no problem. This is really getting on my last nerve :beady:

Any ideas?

are you ripping them to mp3 or to wma?

personally I don't care much for the windows media player - I had some bad experience because the WMAs often include a DRM copy protection, and when I changed my harddrive to a new PC I couldn't play any of the songs because I didn't have the "certificates" :P

Right click the songs to get the song information, and put 'The Beatles' for BOTH Artist and Album Artist.

Thanks Farin and Fin :D

Now that I'm not so tired I remembered the songs I'm having the most problems with came off the original CDs. The ones I put on Cd myself seem to be fine except I can't seem to get any of the Beatles music I burned to download back onto my PC.

are you ripping them to mp3 or to wma?

personally I don't care much for the windows media player - I had some bad experience because the WMAs often include a DRM copy protection, and when I changed my harddrive to a new PC I couldn't play any of the songs because I didn't have the "certificates"

I always go with mp3. I seem to always have problems with wma like the DRM problem you mention ;)

Right click the songs to get the song information, and put 'The Beatles' for BOTH Artist and Album Artist.

Thats a good idea. I will be trying it :D

I will be putting more CDs on today so I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. Like why the Main page works like it does :crazy: but I have only had one cup of coffee ant that is not enough by far :D

free day? Friday? I was unaware of that.

What happens when you delete Temporary Internet Files? Can I just delete anything that says that, or will it mess up my computer?

I always get afraid when it comes to permanently deleting stuff... but my security said today there's a possibly dangerous file in my temporary internet files, so I want to delete them all...

Go ahead. It's just stuff that is automatically stored on your computer when you surf the web, like when you listen to a song, or when you visit SF, so things load faster next time you visit. If you delete them and then visit SF again, they get stored again, so deleting them is no problem at all. Might actually free up some space as well.

You will most likely have to re-enter all your passwords.

I dump my temps at least once a month. They can really slow down your PC if they build up to much.

Dumping them can also get rid of some spyware and Trojans in my experience ;)

Almost forgot. Dump your history files as well.

Edited by Guest

do you people have a free day on friday too? :)

Who people? Short people? Tall people? Girl people? :D

You mean May 1st, as in May Day? We here in the U.S. don't have a free day. As far as demonstrating, are you? I've read that it is Global Love Day, as well No Pants Day, which I guess makes some sense ... are you for it or agin it? ;)