Ask a Songfactor

Kevin

I know that there are a lot of people & places that will charge you a lot of money for what you can obtain for free with a little work. But there are also websites that are very helpful as well. We don't have too many elders left, unfortuantely, so it's going to be a lot of researching of records. There are some family members with some interesting & pretty cool history attached to them, so dad wants to find out more if we can. I just may give it a shot.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually they do Martin, thanks, you just reminded me about that!

Something totally different: I just checked my email and found this, which I recieved last night:

Subject: ATTENTION!!!!

To: info@service.org

Date: Friday, June 19, 2009, 5:29 PM

ATTN.

LISTEN VERY CAREFULLY ,THIS IS THE ONLY WAY I CAN CONTACT

YOU, my TEAM HAS BEEN PAID TO ASSASINATE YOU, I HAVE EVERY REASON TO

CARRY OUT THE CONTRACT,BUT I DECIDED TO GIVE YOU A CHANCE AND SAVE YOUR FAMILY THIS PAIN,THIS YOUR ALTERNATIVE,I WISH TO HELP YOU UNLESS YOU

DONT WANT TO HELP YOUR SELF,I WILL SEND YOU ENOUGH EVIDENCE YOU NEED ON A VIDEO TAPE RECORD

TO NAIL MY EMPLOYER DOWN WITH THE LAW.

BEFORE THAT YOUR REQUIRED TO MAKE AVAILABLE THE SUM OF $70,000. USD,

AFTER WHICH I WILL DIRECT YOU ON WHAT TO DO NEXT TO SAVE YOUR SELF AND

YOUR FAMILY FROM THIS PAIN THAT WOULD HAVE BEFALLED YOU FROM MY

EMPLOYER,THE MONEY WILL BE USED TO SETTLE THE TEAM MEN INVOLVED TO GO

BACK TO THERE DESTINATIONS AND YOU BETTER KEEP THIS INFORMATION TO

YOUR SELF BECAUSE YOU DONT KNOW WHO IS WHO WHERE YOU ARE NOW,IF HE

FINDS OUT I HAVE BETRAYED HIM TRYING TO HELP YOU,YOU WILL HAVE YOUR

SELF TO BLAME, I HAVE ORDERED MY MEN TO SATY AWAY FROM YOU.

DO WE HAVE A DEAL OR NOT ?

NOTE: YOU HAVE TWO OPTIONS HERE, (1)YOU HAVE TO GET HIM ARRESTED WITH

THE INFORMATION I WILL GIVE YOU AFTER THE PAYMENT OR ( 2)YOU HAVE HIM

KILLED TO SAVE YOUR SELF.

I WILL VISIT YOUR HOUSE AGAIN BUT NOT NOW,MY BOYS EYES ARE ON YOU SO

GET BACK TO ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

Now I realize that this is obviously (hopefully?) a ridiculous scam, but it still freaks me out. I googled the emails origin address (not that info@service one) and found this page from a blog:

Blog

So, it's obviously some kind of mass scam. But honestly do you just laugh something like this off, or do you report it to someone? It's freaking threatening my life.

I guess you could report it - since it is indeed illegal, but you have to know that sending emails anonymously is very easy (that's how Spam usually works) and it's very hard to get a hold of the original writer.

So yes, I really would just laugh it off, important is just that you do NOT answer to the mail (same as with every spam)

It's scary isn't it, even if it isn't real? Blues' is at work, I'm alone in the house, and I've got to tell you it feels very scary. He'll be home soon, thank goodness. :(

I'm afraid the police would laugh themselves silly if I reported it but still. Where is Marc? Oh Marc ....

It's scary isn't it, even if it isn't real?

scary, yes - but it's certainly not real... the fact that other people got the exact same mail is a sure proof (also the lack of personal mentions of you, etc)

You don't have to lose any sleep over it, trust me :)

Yeah, I know all that. It made me feel better right away just to find a circumstance of someone else getting it. It's still more than a little freaky though.

What if some little old lady got this? One of many huges wrongs about the internet. :P

I'd probably start messing with them even tho I know I shouldn't.

You should in the very least report the email to your email server. I also agree with S2V.

There may be an email link to your local police or the FBI that you could just forward the email to.

Some people wouldn't realize they were being messed with and may lose money and sleep to them.

Scammers suck :beady:

That's kind of how I feel. I know it isn't real, but I also know how frightening it feels at first read. I honestly think that I wouldn't feel good about myself if I didn't report it to someone. I'd know that I at least did what little I could.

I am sorry you got that Lucky, and that it upset you. It is unfortunate, but those are all over internet. They usually come from Africa and the sender is hoping to scare whoever getS the E-MAIL. The police will most likely not do anything with it, as it is an old scam. Do not worry! Read this:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/hitman.asp

Towards the end is a link that you can report this e-mail to. If there had been any kind of specific details in the e-mail that made it obvious that the e-mail was specifically for you, then I would have recommended you call the cops.

Thanks everybody! Most especially thanks to Marc!

Now that I've heard from Marc, I'll likely not do anything about it. It didn't frighten me so much (well it was an awful feeling that first read), but honestly, I just felt it to be a civic duty or something to report it.... but if the cops won't do anything (which was my original thought) then what's the point?

It's a shame though, that stuff like that goes on. :P

I have a question...How do we convince my 80 year old father in law he should not be driving anymore?...we've talked to him a few times about this and he absolutely refuses to give it up...I'm afraid he's going to get hurt or hurt somebody else...My daughter said he almost hit a jogger when he was giving her a ride home the other day... :o

I have a question...How do we convince my 80 year old father in law he should not be driving anymore?...we've talked to him a few times about this and he absolutely refuses to give it up...I'm afraid he's going to get hurt or hurt somebody else...My daughter said he almost hit a jogger when he was giving her a ride home the other day... :o

My father turned 84 yesterday and he'll be glad to drive up and talk to him. Seriously, this is a tough situation because you are talking about removing the final piece of true independence from him. (And rightly so). My Dad thinks he still drives as well as he did 40 years ago, but he doesn't. He has given up certain aspects of driving...he won't drive at night for instance. My sister and I make a point of picking up Mom and Dad for parties and other events because they don't want to drive at night.

My father-in-law had enough "minor" incidents that he volunteered the car keys and that was that.

There isn't a good way to be bold either. You can just take the car keys but that will start a family war. You might want to confront him with the recent jogger incident. Although your daughter becomes a snitch, you now tell him that you forbid your daughter from accepting rides from him...too dangerous. Maybe that will get him thinking.

Good luck.