Ask a Songfactor

Kevin

I've just been watching a documentary about the history of the internet and how the day that search engines combined with advertising was the day that everything took off .

Fine. But for all the numerous adds I've seen on search engines, and occasionally clicked a few (rarely - as they are more an annoyance than anything ) , I have NEVER followed through with a purchase from such a combination , though I may have eventually bought an advertised product while out shopping , as per normal . Do I just not 'get it ' ? Where's the bonanza here ? How is that any better than a TV or magazine , etc. ad ? Have any/many of you done so ? And if so , how often ?

:stars:

Edited by Guest

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok , fair enough - I'm still just wondering how advertising was gonna make a gold mine out of the net ? Is that why companies are now broke ? Spending to much on silly and unproven things - pure speculation ?

I mean , on a smaller scale , I've been to concerts , etc. sponsored by Coca-Cola or GM , and felt no reaction to their marketing - nor even appreciation ! Haven't you ? Where's the pay-off ?!?!

Edited by Guest

I don't know anything about marketing, but I think I heard that most of the advertising and especially such sponsoring isn't meant for us to directly want to buy something by them, but more that the name and brand get engraved in our minds, so that the next time you want to buy something you automatically think of that brand first...

I don't know anything about marketing, but I think I heard that most of the advertising and especially such sponsoring isn't meant for us to directly want to buy something by them, but more that the name and brand get engraved in our minds, so that the next time you want to buy something you automatically think of that brand first...

Granted -and that's all I know , too . But just think ; what really is he return on say , sponsoring a Rolling Stones concert , for whatever million(s) ; when do you get it back -if ever , and how do you know it was that which brought in the money?

Edited by Guest

Oh ,I'll bet you've been inspired by those big coke signs before , edna ! ;) :laughing:

No. I hated Coke. I would never put that awfull black liquid with bubbles into my mouth... :stars: :stars: in fact I disliked all fizzy drinks... but once, when I was 22 and a bit loaded, I found one big bottle of Coke in the freeze and I felt the need... it saved my life. That day I discovered the wonder of Coke... :cool:

I created an account a year ago and didn't use it till yesterday. It's been getting a ton of media coverage lately so I want to see what it's got to offer. I refuse to use it to notify people of my every move, however.

(you have 1 new follower, btw :cool:)