Ask a Songfactor

Kevin

In my experience those computer forums are a great help, and they're free and quite fast, but I suppose you still have to have some computer knowledge of your own. I think everyone on here is computer-savy enough though. I've used them more than once when I couldn't get rid of a virus on my own. I was a bit wary at first because you never know if they really know what they're doing, but in my experience they're a great help, even when the virus situation on your computer is really bad.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went to three of those computer forums, and they all offered help on how to get rid of this exact virus. But I didn't understand what they were saying enough to know what was i doing without adding to the problem.

Trend sent me a note this morning telling me to delete something after I ran the Hijacker scan, and it seems to have fixed the pop up problem. But the icons are still on my taskbar and desktop. How do I get rid of those?

the icons for what? :confused:

Yeah what icons? Something doesn't sound right to me. Did Trend happen to mention the name of the virus or trojan to you? It doesn't sound to me like they really fixed the problem just the part of the problem that was annoying you.

are we talking about the left of the taskbar? then right-click on the icon and go to "delete" or "delete shortcut" or so

but if it's on the right of the task bar, it means that the program is still running... but there too you can right-click on the symbol and choose "quit" or "exit" or "stop" or whatever it's called there :)

here is a Web site that describes the little buggar. It's called "System Security", and this site tells you how to remove it, but it's way over my head.

The good news is that the thing was never actually INSTALLED because neither my son nor I ever clicked on anything outside of the "x" to close it.

Edited by Guest

You can also google it and see exactly what it is. If it's just a PITA type virus/trojan and nothing that is really invading your privacy that watches or tracks you, I'd just get rid of what I could and scan my pc regularly and sometimes randomly.

At some point in time you will most likely have to format the whole drive and that will take care of it.

here is a Web site that describes the little buggar. It's called "System Security", and this site tells you how to remove it, but it's way over my head.

The good news is that the thing was never actually INSTALLED because neither my son nor I ever clicked on anything outside of the "x" to close it.

Programmes can install themselves without your permission.

And I thought those manual removal instructions were pretty straightforward... open the task manager, look for the System Security process, kill it, and then look for the infected files.

Well, it says

Kill processes:

SystemSecurity.exe

So if you open the task manager, there should be a process called systemsecurity.exe, and that's the one you need to kill.

Then it says

Delete files:

SystemSecurity.exe

So according to this site, all you have to do is search for a systemsecurity.exe file and delete it.

Edited by Guest
good luck with trying to 'call' a process

^ what Fin said

Edit: you can open the task manager with holding + + at once;

then go to "processes" and look for that "systemsecurity.exe" - and stop or disable it

(the warning that will come there is normal: yes, you are sure :) )

maybe, when you search for "systemsecurity.exe", you should delete the whole folder it's in at once, not just the single file...

and after you deleted it, search for it again, to make sure it's really gone :)

Edited by Guest
additional info

when I ran all those scans yesterday, the hijack one, the cleaner, the c disk scan, etc., I did not see a single on that say "system security." Otherwise it WOULD have been much easier. But according to Trend, this one hides itself. So when I sent them the log after I ran the hijack, they identified a program file that shouldn't have been there. It didn't have "system security" in it anywhere, but had some weird numbers attached to it that evidently were recognizable to knowledgeable people as having no business being there. So that was the one I deleted, or "fixed" this morning. And it stopped the pop-ups. Now I just have the icons left to get rid of. I emailed Trend this morning, and I have to wait til I get home today to check my mail to see what they say about getting rid of those....

I realize that to people who know about computers I am revealing myself to be an absolute dolt. But I'd rather be careful about it instead of deleteing something that I don't have a clue what I'm deleting. Even when I tried to follow those web sites yesterday to get rid of this thing, they said to look for certain types of files, but when I did, those files were not there. Whaddaya do? :puppyeyes:

in that case, try to hover over the symbol in the task bar with the mouse, or right click on it to maybe see what the name could be...

(if it just says 'system security' then it's of no use, obviously)

if you can pinpoint when that happened you could maybe search for files and folders that were changed at that time...

or maybe, you could take a screenshot of your task manager (the processes) and show them to us (privately) so that we maybe can find the unusual one...

Your not a dolt at all Shawna. I may be doltish but you, never :D

Something else to keep in mind. Never do something your not sure about. I've learned the hard way and from experience that some techs are easier to relate to then others. You just need to find one you can relate to. Their all different.

Farin is easy to understand when he explains things where on the other hand I have dealt with a lot of techs that have the need to get so technical with what their saying I can't make heads or tails of it.

Good example of that is my brother that works as a pc tech for one of the bigger companies. To him it's easy to me not so much :crazy:

It's the same with the online forums. I looked at the link you sent and felt the same way as you. Then when Fin explained it, piece of cake :D

Also, Shawna, if you open the task manager and see the systemsecurity.exe file, right click it and open its location before you close the process. Perhaps that works if you can't search for it.

edit: never mind, you said there's no such file. Anyway, when you find out what the evil process is called, then you can still do this.

I realize that to people who know about computers I am revealing myself to be an absolute dolt.

There´s a huge majority of dolts among us then... :) I have no idea about what to do about trojans or any virus... I had one in my computer at work some years ago... I had to call my then 12 years old nephew and he fixed it for me.

lordy lordy I just got home and the icon on my task bar is gone! Poof! So I deleted the one on my desktop, and hopefully that did the trick. I'm still paranoid that there's hidden files that this thing installed, which is something I'll never know until someone looks at it...

Calling all smarty pants...

How can I convert a song on Real Audio to an MP3? Surely there is an easy answer to this confounding problem.

There are so many kinds of video programs such as Moyea Video Converter, Pavtube Video Converter. They are all good tools and can do the trick that converts between many video and audio formats, such as AVI, MPEG, WMV, MOV, MP4, MP3, etc.