Ask a Songfactor

Kevin

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back to what Shawna said ... It's not so much the weirdness when you're dating, it's how each of you react at the point of breakup. Because chances are that eventually you will, right? So usually the wierdness is a reaction to who does the friend end up feeling loyalty to when (if) that happens. If it's entirely casual, no committments, etc, then it may not be a big deal atall.

I want to watch an Easter-themed epic tonight : I've got the old stand by , ' The Ten Commandments' or, alternatively , ' The Passion' . Now I haven't seen 'The Passion' except for the first ten minutes after which I feel asleep last time . But I recall it was in Aramaic , which I thought was cool . My wife says it's just a big sadistic- type flick, though . The 'Ten Commandments ' I've seen for countless years and there is nothing but tradition behind it now , but I still love that green smoke wasting all the first born . Any suggestions ? :)

Yeah , me too . It's just out of a sense of tradition rather than choice that I 'feel ' like I should watch one . When you live in a foreign country long enough , silly things like that become important somehow .

Edited by Guest

Well, Ben Hur is surely the obvious one. You know, "Loved Ben, hated Hur!"?

Really a fabulous film, without being altogether too worthy. I love a film that takes a tiny character from a well-known story, and then spins a whole new story round them. Wonderful stuff.

LBB

I've got it -thanks Lee . That may be the call , then .

I could never figure what this story had to do with Christianity/Judaism , though ...kinda like 'Spartacus '. The chariot race nor the trireme scenes can't be beat , though !

You never figured out the BenHur/Christianity connection? I think maybe you need to watch it again ;-) It's essentially the tale of a guy who appears in the passion story for one brief but important moment, fleshed out into one of film's great epics. I love it, if you hadn't guessed, and I'm no Christian.

Love,

Lee.

Edited by Guest

I think I know the scene(s) you are referring to , but that has little to do with the story as a whole ,I think .... :D

Ooh, I think you are missing something there. The story is not called "Ben Hur: A Tale of the Christ" for nothing ;-)

Anyway, it's big and entertaining, and it's about as Easter-themed as you can get. I'm going to have to dig it out...

LBB

Yes, one of the biggest-selling novels of all time, written in 1880 by American general, Lew Wallace. The sub-title "A Tale Of The Christ" isn't used for the Charlton Heston movie version, but it's the same story. I've read it and I've seen it, and it's a an accurate description. Aparently it was the first work of fiction ever to be blessed by the Pope. Yay!

It won 11 Oscars, including Best Picture, still a record, so it's well worth watching anyway. Go for it! A great film for a long rainy afternoon.

L,

L.

Kev, "Jesus Christ Superstar" is my favorite, and I watch it every year around this time. Some considered it "sacreligious" back in the day, but that argument has since silenced after people discovered that the movie is pure entertainment, rich imagery, and music that rocks.