Ask a Songfactor

Kevin

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a question for the songfactor's that also happen to be police officers. And ride bikes. Marc .... ;)

Why, oh why, is it legal for motorcycles to go between the lanes of traffic in California? In my home state it is sooo very illegal. The fact is, it's dangerous! I cannot get used to this, I see it not only on the freeway in stop and go traffic, but on local surface streets as well. I heard the story about motorcycles being aircooled, so they can't sit in traffic, but I'd be inclined to say don't buy a motorcycle, if you have to drive in traffic. I can see it for cops, but anyone else? It's insane.

or, am I wrong, and it isn't actually legal?

Edited by Guest

iT IS LEGAL AND i HAVE DONE IT BEFORE. i DONT RECOMMEND IT AND i ONLY DID IT WHEN i WAS FEELING LUCKY! i ALSO ONLY DID IT AT SLOW SPEEDS, LIKE 20MPH AND LOWER, BUT IT IS LEGAL TO DO IT AT FULL SPEED. jUST NOT VERY SMART. tHE LAW MAKERS DO NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE TYPE OF COOLING YOUR MOTORCYCLE EMPLOYS.

Motorcycles driving anyway they want is a very common practice (though illegal) in Brazil. It requires auxilliary observation and caution from car and truck drivers to make sure a motorcycle (and there are A LOT of them) are not approaching between the lanes. But the "motoboys" (as motorcyclists are called here) take their freedom for granted and are upset if not given the right of way to do anything a bicycle might do - including going against traffic, riding on the sidewalks and pausing only briefly, then going through a red light. It is pure arrogance on the road.

The downside to this for the motoboys goes like this: in the USA, if there is an accident involving a motorcycle, 9 out of 10 times it is the fault of the larger vehicle. Here, it is 9 times out of 10 the fault of the motoboy, so no one ever questions fault in the aftermath of an accident. Everyone automatically assumes it was the fault of the person lying on the ground.

I really like your idea Shawna! :) I still don't see the reasoning why it's legal. What it amounts to is that you have two vehicles abreast in one lane. How can that be? At a stop light you have a car in each lane, and a bike just hanging out in the middle with really no place that he actually belongs. That's just wrong. :P

My fellow Americans: :grin:

Does anyone know the ins and outs of this tax refund credit whatchajiggit that W's sending us? I had thought it was $600 per adult, and $300 per child, up to $1200. Today I got $600 deposited into my checking account electronically, and I'm wondering where the $300 for my kid is...

I couldn't find any info on how this was calculated, probably because I don't know how to correctly look for it... help! :puppyeyes:

My fellow Americans: :grin:

Does anyone know the ins and outs of this tax refund credit whatchajiggit that W's sending us? I had thought it was $600 per adult, and $300 per child, up to $1200. Today I got $600 deposited into my checking account electronically, and I'm wondering where the $300 for my kid is...

I couldn't find any info on how this was calculated, probably because I don't know how to correctly look for it... help! :puppyeyes:

Shawna, see below.

yeah, it is "up to $1200" total. My folks got $600 apiece, and my co-worker told me it's $600 per adult, and $300 per kid, up to $1200 total. :

Incorrect information, see below.

it's being doled out numerically in order of the last 4 digits of your SSN. If the last four of your SSN are 9999, you're screwed. :

Also incorrect info, see below.

Are you eligible?

The vast majority of people who file a 2007 income tax return qualify, and many who don't regularly file a tax return may qualify as well.

You're eligible if you have a valid Social Security Number (SSN), can't be claimed as a dependent on a tax return and have either an income tax liability or "qualifying income" of at least $3,000.

How much will you get?

The actual amount depends on the information contained on your tax return.

Eligible individuals will receive between $300 and $600.

Those who are eligible and file a joint return will receive a total of between $600 and $1,200.

Those with children will get an additional $300 for each qualifying child.

To qualify, a child must be eligible under the

Child Tax Credit

and have a valid Social Security number.

Examples

Stimulus Payment Schedule for Tax Returns Processed by April 15:

Economic stimulus payments will be issued according to the last two-digits of the main filer's Social Security number.

People who use direct deposit also will be among the first to receive the payments starting May 2.

Paper checks will be put in the mail starting May 16.

DIRECT DEPOSIT

Last two SSN digits: Payment will be transmitted:

00 through 20 May 2

21 through 75 May 9

76 through 99 May 16

PAPER CHECK

Last two SSN digits: Payments will be mailed by:

00 through 09 May 16

10 through 18 May 23

19 through 25 May 30

26 through 38 June 6

39 through 51 June 13

52 through 63 June 20

64 through 75 June 27

76 through 87 July 4

88 through 99 July 11

People who file a return after April 15 will receive their economic stimulus payment, but probably about two weeks later than the schedule shows.

A return must be filed by October 15 in order to receive a stimulus payment this year.

A small percentage of tax returns will require additional time to process and to compute a stimulus payment amount.

For these returns, stimulus payments may not be issued in accordance with the schedule above, even if the tax return was processed by April 15.

*Note:

The above timetable was the original schedule for payouts.

The government actually started making payouts a week earlier than planned, so the new timetable will be one week earlier for all dates stated above.

:help: I'm having computer problems...Seems like I can only stay on-line for a short time, and then the computer freezes...I get that little hourglass time thingy, and then I have to sign off and sign back on again...I rebooted but that didn't seem to help....

does that only happen when you're in the internet?

also, try looking into the task manager when it freezes ( + + )

and there try to see if any specific application or process is not reacting or taking a lot of CPU time (normally "Idle Task" should take more than 90%)