Ask a Songfactor

Kevin

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

good grief, you easily traumatised people, I'm just asking if anyone HAS one, I'm not asking you to GET one, sheesh.

I've had a Facebook account for well over a year, and didn't begin using it until about 3 weeks ago. So yeah, I AM traumatized! It'll take me a good 18 months to learn Twitter! And by then there's be another something that I'll have to learn!! I DON'T HAVE THE SKULL CAPACITY FOR ALL THE KNOWLEDGE!!!!! :puppyeyes: :puppyeyes: :puppyeyes: :goof:

Ok, y'all I need help here. My dad (he's 80) has very severe glaucoma, and is swiftly losing his eyesight, which is an awful thing. He's feeling really disconnected to the world, can't read newspapers anymore, or books. He can't drive, or go anywhere alone, and he's becoming really depressed, being someone who's always been active and independent. He's able to watch tv because he has this huge 5x3 foot (guessing here) television, and is able to see and read those images because they are so huge.

So, he's expressing an interest in a computer, and anything else that might enable him to be able to read & learn (he has specific things he'd like to research) and just basically enrich his life. Of course we can get a large monitor & a keyboard with big keys with the letters in large face print. I'm going to research all that stuff further & fix him up, I wonder if there is such a thing as a backlit keyboard? It's easier for him to read things that are backlit. He lives a few hours away, but next time I go up there I'm going to take to the computer store so we can see what he can see.

My questions here are, does anyone know anything about Amazon's Kindle, or other like items/services? It looks pretty cool. Apparently you can get newspapers, and any number of books, and it even reads to you now. I'm just wondering how easy it might be to operate, if it's something he'd be able to do? Maybe if I downloaded stuff for him, etc?

Also, any other ideas or suggestions for things to keep this man connected to the world?

there are some standard windows applications (like a screen magnifier) that are already installed in a normal setting... doesn't know how good it is though

I don't know about backlit keyboards, but large print ones are not too hard to find

keeyseeyu.jpg

I haven't used Kindle or any other speech soft and hardware :P

Thanks for those examples guys, that's helpful. He seems particularly concerned about the keyboard. Maybe just the large face type with very good lighting would be enough. Obviously I need to go and see these things in person, and I'm sure I can be directed to these things at the elctronics store, but I gotta know what to ask/look for.

The Kindle and it's newspaper function looks cool, he's a big newspaper person. It's very expensive though. Are you saying there are windows screen magnifying applications already installed with windows?

ahhh, now I know more of what to google. I've just found a bunch of interesting looking stuff! :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest

If he likes books Lucky I know a fantastic program for that. Their audio books so he won't need to read them.

It's not overly expensive and he can listen to anything from Classics, to non- fiction and anything in between. You might need to do the initial setup but after that I'm sure he could manage it.

I think they even have a few News Papers. I know they have the New Yorker.

You can, the whole thing is very weird, but it gives me an idea of what we can do. I've found a really great low vision website full of info & ideas with tutorials & examples. Of course there would be a lot of stuff available out there, zillions of people have vision problems. Now I'm finding it.

I called my dad a while ago to let him know what I'm finding out, and his vision has worsened in just the past few days. The doc is hoping that it's only temporary, but it's only about 10% right now. :P