What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel for you Ryan. We will be going through major downsizing any day now. If I survive the downsizing, I will have to commute an hour to my new job, so it will majorly suck either way.

The only bright spark is that if downsized I'll get really good severance

So here's what grinds my gears as of now.

F***ing Applebee's.

See, I work there, and the way Applebee's works with requesting days off and changing your availability is through an internet thing. You sign in, request a day off or whatever, change your availability, whatever you need to do, and then it's sent to the manager, they approve or disapprove it and life goes on.

Around 3 weeks ago, I changed my availability to not working on Wednesdays and Saturdays so that I can work at my second job on those days. And ever SINGLE saturday since June 30th (when the APPROVED availability change was supposed to take effect) I have been scheduled to work all day. The first time I spoke to a manager about it. I got "Ok, we'll get it fixed". The second time I spoke to another manager about it. Same response. Finally, last week when it happened AGAIN, I went to find my general manager until my regular manager stopped me and said he'd get it fixed.

Here's the kicker:

For EVERY one of these shifts, I have had to find someone to cover it. Luckily I've been able find people to cover. Until now. I'm scheduled to work Saturday all day and can't find anyone to cover. So I call the restaurant and tell another manager about the situation. He tells me that he will speak to one of the other managers and general manager and call me back soon. He never called back. I call the restaurant about 6 hours later and he's left for the night. So now I have to figure out how to be in two places at once.

Frustrating.

:neener: Come closer so I can smack you around a little bit, MC.

I am currently doing that on my phone with Lady Gaga & Beyonce's Telephone. The part "Stop calling stop calling, I don't wanna talk anymore - Stop telephonin' me" plays for whoever calls me and I dont pick up.

Thought you might find this interesting as perhaps a portent of what happens when legislature needs to feel it is needed and, by golly, is going to let the constiuency know about it.

From the land of advanced social engineering and ever-advancing taxation - by which that engineering hopefully will be funded - this story was in the news today. Later on today it is expected that the president will sign a bill passed by Brazil's Congress that prohibits the spanking of any child. Of course a majority of conscientious parents understand and applaud the sentiment and spirit of this new law, however I do sense an ominous precedent here.

There are already several child abuse laws on the books, locally, statewide and nationally, most of which could apply to an overwrought parent chastising a son or daughter out of anger instead of controlled concern for a child's long term wellness. If these presently existing laws were not sufficient to retard the infliction of undo pain upon children; what guarantees that the new law will be more effective in doing anything other than creating a new class of criminal? Incidentally, there are no child emotional abuse laws on the books, which from my experiences, is a far more painful and long term form of abuse knowingly perpetrated by a disturbed parent in need of counsel.

Too, here is a precedent being set whereby government may dictate how parents will (or won't, specifically) deal with disciplinary issues in the homes of its citizens. I think this bothers me more than anything else about this law. It is now a small step for federal legislature to make make forays into the kitchens, bathrooms and bedrooms of Brazil with a broadbrush approach of telling all how to best run their household. Concerning also is that the implementation of this law relies on a "neighborhood watch" style of enforcement, whereby anyone seeing an adult spanking a child is now bound by law to report it. That can't be wholly good for extended family unity nor community bonding.

Just say you found a loophole in The Bible that prevents you from working on Sundays. It says that the punishment for working on the sabbath is death :beatnik:

Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

Just say you found a loophole in The Bible that prevents you from working on Sundays. It says that the punishment for working on the sabbath is death :beatnik:

I once reminded of this a woman I used to meet in the bar at the hotel where we were living while shooting a movie in Almeria. She told me "I'm the cook!"