What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Again, responsible and protective parents should monitor how their children behave and dress. I didn't say people deserve to be raped or shot for what they chose to wear, but a little common sense can go a long way in possibly preventing bad things from happening, i.e. don't dress like a thug/gangster because it might gather negative attention; don't dress provocatively because it might gather negative attention; don't smoke when gassing up the car; don't hang around rank company. It's pretty obvious, common sense stuff.

(Hahaha. Channeling crazy, ol' mel) :beatnik:

That scenario Shawna described brings a few thoughts to mind.

I told all my girls when they hit puberty that whatever parts of themselves they display the more prominently in public will work as a magnet to attract the corresponding dominant interests from those of the opposite sex. So, intelligence, good character and honest endeavor are excellent things to display. Also told them to keep in mind that no matter the advanced chronological age of any man, his eyes tend to stay about 15.

Most healthy men, throughout history, have been sincerely but harmlessly mesmerized by the form of an attractive female. It's nature. And despite any form of excitement ogling might arouse, I would guess that perhaps .1 of 1% of adult men would even give mild consideration to acting upon an impulse (attempting to speak to the individual, advance an agenda, etc.) derived from such activity.

Before convicting this man of mental rape, consider also that Shawna was watching the man watching the girl. If someone noticed her engaged in that activity, would it be appropriate for that person to surmise that Shawna is in some form a predator who "hunts" middle-aged men in cut-off shorts?

A 14 year old girl at a sporting event (we're talking teenagers not pro basketball) in Arizona in August. What would you have her wear? What would have been more appropriate atire? As you said, time and place. For the time & place she was totally appropriate. Why would anyone assume that she or her parents have any responsibility at all? It's august. It's arizona. It's freaking hot. A 14 year old child is not playing with fire by wearing shorts in August. :P

Edited by Guest

On an entirely seperate subject .... You know those security tabs that they put on clothing so you can't steal it? The ones that say "attempting to remove tag will shatter glass & release ink" or something like that (it's shattered, I can't read it anymore). So I bought a new article of clothing. The salesclerk forgot to take off the security tab (makes ya wonder how good they are), and I walked out of the store with it. Since the store isn't that close, we tried to carefully remove the tab (I know, I know). The warning was correct, the glass shattered, and I now have bright red ink on my new white bra. A lot of ink. I'm sure I'll be able to take it back anyway, I have the receipt, but why didn't I just leave it alone? :P

When I worked retail, if that happened to a customer, I would go ahead and tag the item as damaged and let you exchange it for a new one, minus the ink stain. However that was me. Not all retail clerks would do that, as most are complete bitches and don't really care if they screwed up and you had to pay for it.

I'm surprised the security alarms didn't go off when you left the store -- where I worked, if a tag was left on, whether it was the ink tag or not, the alarms would go off and an associate would go over and ask to see the bag and check to see if you have a receipt or if a tag was left on.

A 14 year old girl at a sporting event (we're talking teenagers not pro basketball) in Arizona in August. What would you have her wear? What would have been more appropriate atire? As you said, time and place. For the time & place she was totally appropriate. Why would anyone assume that she or her parents have any responsibility at all? It's august. It's arizona. It's freaking hot. A 14 year old child is not playing with fire by wearing shorts in August. :P

:bow: :bow:

Apparently I was supposed to present the results of my work research project yesterday. I thought the presentation was going to be Friday. I received no word that it was Wednesday, and I come in today and they tell me the boss of the whole intern project came in yesterday trying to find me. I didn't even come in to work yesterday because my immediate boss gave me the day off. So now I'm probably in trouble. Woo-freaking-hoo.

Oh, and there's f***ing more. I go looking for the two people in charge, and they're out for the rest of the week. And this is my last week. I sent them an email explaining what happened, but that's b******t. I wanted to tell them, face to face, that I really wanted to present. I'm f***ing proud of the work I did, as far as I know I'm the only intern that actually finished my project. For the first couple weeks, they didn't even know what to do with me, so eventually they shunted me over from bacteriology to diagnostics, which gave me six weeks to complete my work instead of eight, and I was able to do it anyway because I worked my ass off and I'm smart as f**k. This is b******t.

:soapbox:

Edited by Guest
tsk tsk. ;)

I thought I'd do something nice and cook a big meal for my girlfriend. All went well until the oven burned my German chocolate cake into a big block of nasty. Upon further investigation, I found out that somehow, my temperature dial on my oven was off by about 200 degrees. It's fixed now, but my girlfriend came home to an appetizer, a main course, and an apartment full of smoke. Fail.

I'm smart as f**k.

I believe Einstein said the same thing about himself, only with a German accent. :neener:

so eventually they shunted me over from bacteriology to diagnostics

I think every one is missing this point that Tim, a well known devious son-of-a-buck, has access to bacteria. Don't drink the water folks. ;)

Shawna was watching the man watching the girl... Shawna is in some form a predator who "hunts" middle-aged men in cut-off shorts?

*hurl*

the day I'm attracted to a man wearing cut-offs is the day I tie a cement block around my own ankles and jump in a deep lake.

I have to say, I wasn't watching him. We were actually having a conversation (he and I were the only two on a row of the bleachers) and his eyes kept wandering, so I had to look around to see what was drawing his attention. From there it was easy to follow his line of vision - without even trying - wherever she moved.