What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

I'm a neat freak. I will pick up other peoples' houses. You know, straightening magazines on the coffee table or putting dishes away that are sitting on the counter.

I can't stand slobs. Naturally living at school in the dorms, I was stuck with one every semester.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was light sarcasm. I've grown up in the military all my life. Dad has been in the army longer than he's been married to my mother. I have nothing but respect for the military. Don't take it personally. My new job is in the US Army Research Institute for Infectious Diseases. The army pays my paycheck, the army pays my dad's paycheck, the army is paying for my next two years of college (which, where I go, amounts to about $100,000), the army pays for my healthcare. I'm certainly not going to bite the hand that feeds, you know? :cool:

*sigh* the ignorance of the masses. I apologize for her ilk.

If it helps, you, my cousin, my dad, my nephew, my former co-worker, cops, military - anyone brave enough to offer up their comfort and safety in defense of mine has my undying respect and appreciation. :bow:

Forgive me, I jumped the gun a bit. I made an (incorrect) assumption based on how generally anti-military the lefties are. I've just seen too many code pink protests and been called a baby killer too many times to respond well to that kind of sarcasm.

That's a generalized assumption. I'm liberal, a Democrat, and I have nothing but respect for people who put their necks and other assorted parts on the line for us every day. Any one who would call the military baby killers are crack pots who have nothing better to do. Especially if they are protesting outside Wal-mart :P

Yeah, I think you'll find most of us "lefties" just as appreciative of the military as most sane people. I respect ones willingness to die in defense of liberty and all the other abstracts we like to throw around, but I'd prefer to vote for policies that would, at least theoretically, make it so it doesn't come to that. That seems pretty pro-soldier to me.

Me three! I'm another lefty and I have nothing but respect for the military as an institution, and more importantly those men and women that belong to it. :bow:

I may not care for the war (any war, not the current one necessarily), but I damn sure support the men and women that fight them with my whole heart. I think you are confusing liberals with nutjobs (a common occurence :D ). In my 50+ years of experience there are just as many nutjobs to the right as to the left. They just go nuts over different things.

Edited by Guest

Forgive me, I jumped the gun a bit. I made an (incorrect) assumption based on how generally anti-military the lefties are. I've just seen too many code pink protests and been called a baby killer too many times to respond well to that kind of sarcasm.

I'm very liberal and very Democrat, but I'm not anti-military. I'm anti-war, and there's a difference. I don't have the balls to join the military, so these people are already better than me in that regard. I can support them and hope they all come home safe to their families without supporting the reason they aren't home with those families right now.

Yeah, I think you'll find most of us "lefties" just as appreciative of the military as most sane people. I respect ones willingness to die in defense of liberty and all the other abstracts we like to throw around, but I'd prefer to vote for policies that would, at least theoretically, make it so it doesn't come to that. That seems pretty pro-soldier to me.

I'm right-wing on some things and a registered Republican (I used to be a Libertarian back in college hahah). In short, I don't consider myself a "leftie" in the least. It's healthy to be critical of anything that goes against what one knows to be right. Otherwise, you're just an automaton/zombie doing the bidding of the powers that be. Before this whole fiasco in the Middle East started I was against it - both the unjustified/wrongful invasion of Iraq and the war in Afghanistan. It doesn't mean I am anti-military, but I know our resources can be put to better use here at home.

I was against the overthrow of the Iraqi dictator as well, until I got to thinking that had things remained status quo, about now, Saddam would have either died naturally or been so old that we probably would have seen the nation handed over to Uday. Now, that sure would have stabilized the region!!!

Pretty much. It's the same thing that happened in Cuba, North Korea, and a few other dictatorships run by a family. It's kinda ironic the US supported Saddam and the Ba'ath party when they came to power, that the US sold weapons to Iran, and that the US armed and trained the Mujahadin (including the Taliban) in Afghanistan - and now they're all our enemies. Who are Oceania's friends and foes now? East Asia or Eurasia?

For me, the amount of dead Americans, Iraqis, and Afghans does not add up to the quagmire that's resulted. I'm all for bringing some of those blackwater, kaci, and halliburton mercernary swine (and any other war merchant that ripped us off) and court martialing them for the injustices committed against this nation, Iraq, and Afghanistan... or just kidnapping them and dumping them in our dungeons in guantanamo and letting them rot in there for life without trial :beatnik:

not really... I'd say it has just been reaffirmed x eleventy-hundred that that bimbo in front of Wal-Mart was just a worthless thing.

But innit true that it seems the things that stick with us are the negative ones? We are reading that chapter in my psychology class right now... I'll let you know if the textbook determines you're abnormal in that respect. ;)

Your not an ass. I know that kinda thing happens all the time. My Uncles and cousins were called that and worse when they came back from Nam.

I feel the same as most of the others. I may not agree with the powers that be all the time, but it's thanks to servicemen (down through history) that I a have that right to disagree when I feel the need.