What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

Just got a quote from a plumber to replace my garbage disposal. $675. "But," he says, "if you buy our service contract for $98, we'll do this and this and this and this, and you'll be a priority customer!" "All right," I say, "but I'm failing to see how the service contract helps me with this immediate problem." "Oh," says he, "with the purchase of the service contract, we can replace your garbage disposal for only $550." "So... the service contract will save me only $27, and I'll be committed to paying you X-amount more next year just to come out and look at stuff?" He pauses, "Yes, I suppose that's right." CLICK.

Call up the next one who's got good reviews online. He quotes me $325 out the door, no sales push, no service contract. And he couldn't even begin to offer an answer as to why the other bonehead quoted me so outrageously. He just laughed.

I don't know how much garbage disposals typically cost, but I have to say times like this I sure wish there was a man around to do these things through Home Depot. :mad: :mad:

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shawna, don't do it for $325.00 either. That's outrageous. Don't you have a friend/friend's husband, etc. who could do it for you? It takes about 15 minutes and it's very simple. And you can buy a new disposal for around $100.00 at Home Depot or some such place. They may even install it and probably for a lot less than $325.00.

I just read the last lines of your post. Shawna, you can probably do it yourself if need be. I'm sure there are instructions online.

Yep, lots of sites like This one

Edited by Guest

Welllllll..... being as entirely un-home-repair adept as it is possible to be, it would take me a week to do it myself, instructions or no. The only person available to do it for me (with any sort of knowhow) is my brother-in-law, and he couldn't do it 'til the weekend, while I've got no way to use the kitchen sink without it dumping water everywhere, and no way to do dishes, etc., in the meantime.

So... I had thought the $300 was a pretty good deal. Evidently I was wrong, and I'm an idiot. Such is life.

Actually I'm with you Shawna. Although I have the skill to do many home repairs, I don't have the desire. I would rather pay to have it done promptly, with the right tools and hopefully, correctly. Remind me to tell you about the time I tried to "quickly" change a chandelier on Super Bowl Sunday...'nuff said.

Shawna, don't do it for $325.00 either. That's outrageous. Don't you have a friend/friend's husband, etc. who could do it for you? It takes about 15 minutes and it's very simple. And you can buy a new disposal for around $100.00 at Home Depot or some such place. They may even install it and probably for a lot less than $325.00.

I just read the last lines of your post. Shawna, you can probably do it yourself if need be. I'm sure there are instructions online.

Yep, lots of sites like This one

I'm of the do it yourself bent myself. I'd eat off paper plates or do fast food (I've washed dishes in the bathtub once or twice as well) until the weekend. Buy your brother in law some beer, barbecue a steak, and you've still saved yourself a couple of hundred. Just make sure you give him the beer after the disposal is working.

My dad is a pretty handy guy around the house and he can fix almost anything. But when it comes to plumbing, the electrical system or the gas....he opts for a professional to do it. Which I can understand, anything that might blow up the house if done wrong is not something you want to mess with if you're not 100% sure of what you're doing.

I was loading the new 2000's albums thread and my computer jammed for an hour

I became annoyed, so I pulled the plug from my laptop, which caused it to try to start in safe mode and not actually restart

I became annoyed again, so I rebooted my computer back to it's original factory condition

All this because I wanted to view a simple thread :doh:

you're crazy, I've spent one day of near-HDD-failure trying to NOT have to restore to factory condition. I was one click away from a clean HDD sweep before I realised I had my recovery disks on hand. They've saved my life. I love my puter, it's lovely. My stuff is still safe. It's still going to the doctor tomorrow though.

you're crazy, I've spent one day of near-HDD-failure trying to NOT have to restore to factory condition. I was one click away from a clean HDD sweep before I realised I had my recovery disks on hand. They've saved my life. I love my puter, it's lovely. My stuff is still safe. It's still going to the doctor tomorrow though.

I had just did a complete restore over the weekend, so I didn't lose much of anything this time.

Why's your computer going to the doctor?