What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my bedtime on school nights is 9, alghough I don't fall alseep until 10 usually. And then mornings like this morning, I woke up at 5 - a full hour before the alarm - and found my son still up playing video games. He hasn't yet been to sleep.

that's what I meant with 'siesta' - the 2 or more hour lunch break :)

The longest lunch break I've ever gotten at work was 30 minutes to an hour. Anything past that and your pay gets docked.

I've never heard of anyone over here getting more than 2 hours for lunch. That can be too easily abused.

I've never heard of anyone over here getting more than 2 hours for lunch. That can be too easily abused.

In Spain they take it very easy... :cool: you have breakfast at 10 in the bar, then you have a beer at 1 pm, then you go for lunch at 2 or 3... and you come back when you come back... maybe at 5 pm even. .. this is quite a surrealistic country. If you don' t work at a factory or some place with a tough schedule, you always have time to eat and to drink.

But "siesta" actually is a nap. It' s not the time when you have lunch, it' s just the nap after lunch.

Too bad I don' t drink and I eat very little... and I always have a sandwich while I talk on the phone, walk and meet people. My lunchs are 15 minutes long.

I left my car out in the sun and forgot to lock the door, I came back to it and used a sweatshirt on the steering wheel because it was too hot and my windshield wiper stick broke off. I don't know if I can get that replaced. At least nothing was stolen.

When people sign up for a message board and post once or twice and then never come back. Not necessarily talking about here specifically, but message boards in general. I belong to quite a few where this is a common phenomenon and it's annoying. It just seems dumb to me to take the time to register and then just forget the place exists.

When people sign up for a message board and post once or twice and then never come back. Not necessarily talking about here specifically, but message boards in general. I belong to quite a few where this is a common phenomenon and it's annoying. It just seems dumb to me to take the time to register and then just forget the place exists.

Equally as silly as joining a message board and pumping out a ton of posts and judgmental comments in a relatively short time , while displaying a lack of reasonable understanding of the personalities of the membership , as though they were are all equally new - especially the longer term ones - I think . It's like walking into a party full strangers who are familiar with each other , but not you so much , and trying to command center stage for whatever reason. :D

I discuss things with my friends, sometimes in my place, sometimes at theirs, sometimes in a bar... :cool: and also online.

Well yeah, it's not like I spend all my time online but a lot of the things that I'm into, most of my friends aren't. I grew up in Chicago, I'm the only Yankees in my circle of friends. So it's not like I'll be talking baseball with them, unless the two teams are playing each other which happens rarely.

I belong to several sites - this one, a Pink Floyd board, a Led Zeppelin board, a New York Yankees board...just to name a few. I have diverse interests and just one board isn't the right place to discuss all those things in-depth, as I do.

Well , what's 'new' in Pink Floyd or Zeppelin Land ?! There can't be much to talk about that hasn't been said/discussed infinitum except rumors of the occasional make-shift tour that would likely be unsatisfying for true fans , anyway ... ?!? :)

You should remember that unlike a fan site , Songfacts is here to help people with specific inquiries, and so it is not at all a problem that someone signs in to find the answer to a specific question and then disappears when helped out ( or not , rarely ) .

Nothing has to be "new" necessarily in order to talk about those groups. It can just be fun to break the music down and talk about what you like or don't like, interpretations of lyrics/albums, discussions about ROiOs/VOiOs, what's going on with each member's solo stuff, polls, quizzes, stuff like that. You'd be amazed at the interesting conversations/threads that can happen even if the artist(s) in question is/are no longer making music. So I really don't see whether or not the group is still making music as being a limitation on discussion.

And again, I wasn't talking about this site specifically. I was again, talking about message boards in general. A friend of mine actually runs a message board and she says it's a pain because there could be something like 10,000 registered members but only 2,000 are active.

Well , you shouldn't include this one specifically for the reason I stated above . In fact , the majority of what is discussed about both your favorite bands has likely been touched on in some thread already , making SF a superior site to a fan site ,imo .

Now , certainly , given your age , you are likely learning /hearing / discussing things that are new to you , and that's great , but don't think for a minute that they are in anyway 'new' - unless someone comes in with the occasional thought from left field .

As for your original gripe about new members joining and quitting , I can agree if I were involved in fan sites as you are , since it seems such a waste of time , perhaps . However , since you have only been here about 2 months ( in which you've already hit 10% of my 5 year toatal ) , take care that you don't come off as a bit too ' been there done that -nothing to learn here ' , as that will seriously p*ss people off - whether you intend that or not . As a veteran of many message boards , certainly that needn't even be said , eh ? :)