What grinds your gears then?

Henry David

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my doctor tells me that the painkiller that's keeping me sane (darvocet) will no longer be made 6 months from now. So they will have to go to something else, and the something else she suggested contains codeine. I'm alittle afraid of codeine, because it's a depressant, isn't it?

Don't be so sure about the Darvocet. At this point it's a lot of talk. There is a good chance there will be a re-formulation of the drug rather than removal from the market. Codeine is a bit nasty, as it's a pure form derivitive of opium (Darvocet is as depressant as well, but rather it's synthetic) Tylenol w/ codeine (tylenol #3 or 4) is often used short term, primarily for tooth & oral pains. What's your pain from? I will talk to my pharmacist. There are lots of things available that aren't quite as bad as the opium things.

My pain is long-term, from all the abdominal surgeries I've had, the scar tissue that's forming is causing pain (adhesions, etc.) My surgeon told me that in order to alleviate it, he'd have to open me up every year or so, take them out, and then over the next year more will form so it's an uphill battle.

The Darvocet helps without any loopy effects. Let me know what your pharmacist says... I'd love to see what I'm in for. :puppyeyes:

Ok Miss Weenie, here's the scoop ....

A consumer watch group petitioned to have Darvocet N-100 (Propoxyphene/Apap) removed from the market because of what they called the high risk of possible overdose, and the effect it can have on weak hearts. At first the FDA agreed ... however, that ruling has been overturned. At the present time Darvocet & Darvon (has aspirin instead of tylenol) will remain on the market with a black-box warning. Meaning that they realize the drug has the possibility of being dangerous, but the benefits out weigh the dangers at this time. link to the most recent news from the FDA

^^That is all the official stuff. Here is the real world stuff. Darvocet is often prescribed as a mild (I stress mild) pain reliever for the elderly because it is so easily tolerated (none of the goofiness of say, vicodin). If an overdose occurs, the chances are greater that it's an elderly individual that has forgotten when and/or how much they have previously taken. You shouldn't have any problem, unless your doctor wants to discontinue prescribing it, or you have an already weak heart. Just behave, and don't take more than your prescribed dose, and you should be fine. Again, if in the future it is emoved from the market, there are other things besides codeine ... Ultacet & Ultram most specifically, also fairly mild and widely prescribed.

And that's the truth .... ;)

Cool - thanks, Lucky. I actually take much LESS than my prescribed dose. I only need 1, sometimes 2 per day. I just know that if I had something with codeine or percocet or that sort of thing, I wouldn't last long. And as far as I know, my heart is fairly strong!

Marc, my mom has the family jug of percocets. And neverending refills. It's insane the money I could make on the street with just one of those bottles.

And Kevin... sorry about your eclipse... :puppyeyes:

Just p/u a prescription of percocet for my FIL. Is that the same kind of stuff?

One of the strongest & most abused pain medications out there. Bills what 82? be very careful. No stairs, please. The stuff can make you goofy, and dizzy, and the threat of falling would be greatly heightened. If it were my dad, I think I'd break it in half, and see if that does the trick before a full tablet. The stuff is strong. Also, take it on a full stomach & with a glass of milk. It can make you very sick at your stomach. Honestly, unless he's terribly hurting, I'm not a huge fan of prescribing percocet for an elderly man like that. Just my opinion. :P

*** I'm not a doctor, or a licensed pharmacist, and I'm not legally qualified to "counsel" so don't quote me .... but I am a nationally certified pharmacy technician, and I've been doing this for over 15 years. I've seen & learned a lot in that time, and I'm pretty good at what I do, IMO.

Edited by Guest

Nope , nothing really notable except that the birds and insects did go silent for about 15 min. That 's ok . Some folk paid big money to go to some of the various places ( such as Shanghi ) , and got to see just a little bit with the weather only slightly better than here . It seems India or some or some of the Pacific islands were among the best places .

Once when my kids were in grade school we saw a decent eclipse, a big one. That would have been in the eighties. We had made those boxes with a pin-hole etc. Pretty cool, but I've never again seen one that well. Too bad your view wasn't better Kevy.

Grrrrrr...The overnight shift never showed up, now I'm stuck doing a double shift..... :mad:

Hey , 50 bucks is 50 bucks . :D

Seriously though , sorry to hear that . Be sure to whine and complain a lot so that those missing really catch hell , and you martyr yourself in front of your coworkers . :cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks Lucky, I will pass that along to my wife, Nurse Ratchet. He is on 2 pills every 4 hours. He is, for the first time in 2 days, comfortable. He is just kicking back in his room listening to music. He does not go up or down the stairs unassisted. We are going to move him into the downstairs bedroom soon. He is 83 1/2, BTW.

Can they just do that :stars:

No, they can't Lea....You could get fired for not calling....What happened was that the sub that was suppose to fill in for our regular staff (who is on vacation)...double booked himself...I guess he is working at another site tonight, and forgot he also committed to working at our site....If the subs do this too often, they wont' be working either....

These pictures of the eclipse I didn't get to see :mad: Why always when I'm on the opposite side of the world?!

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/07/the_longest_solar_eclipse_of_t.html

Lovely pictures, btw, that's why my gears are so ground.

Okay, excuse me while I SCREAM!...I need to vent...My daughters call me up threatening to kill each other...one is yappin away on one phone, the other daughter yelling back at her, and then they are both talkin at the same time to me...AHHHHHHHHHH....and then, for the next 6 to 8 weeks I'll be working with subs, fill-ins, temps..whatever you call them..because my two regular staff are out because of surgery...and these subs aren't certified yet in anything, they don't know anything, and they don't do anything!!!!Heck, I might as well be working by myself....and then Hubby comes home griping about a bad day at his work...Ahhhhhh I'm so stressed! :crazy:

Poor Laurie :puppyeyes:

Tell daughters to grow up and get over themselves(Thats what I do when mine acts like a brat :D ) and give DH a cold beer and tell him to go watch the sports channel. That should cheer him up :D

As for the work thing, I hear Kevin may be needing a new job soon. He may like working for you better then selling vegetables :laughing: