Random Sports and Sport Talk

PSYCHOcatholic

In the old days there's many players who flourished their whole careers with one team. ;)

Each player as he reaches the time to sign a new contract or extension has to deal with the business part of his sport. Each sport has a different take on what form of slavery the owners impose of the players.

In the old days, when an owner decided that a player was dispensable, sometimes that player needed the juice of playing elsewhere or for the money for another season or two.

I do remember. :cool:

Ralph Kiner was one of the great sluggers in baseball and has been a Mets announcer since 1962. (Ralph still does a few games each year and will turn 90 in 2012). Anyway, he played for the Pirates and the owner was Branch Rickey. After another year of leading the league in home runs and RBI's he went to Mr Rickey and asked for a $5000 raise to which Mr. rickey replied "We came in last with you, we can come in last without you". No raise! Things have changed, huh?

I agree that's what it is

SLAVERY?! ARE YOU F***ING KIDDING ME?! SOME OF THESE GUYS MAKE OVER 20 MILLION A YEAR! THESE ARE THE MOST PAMPERED PEOPLE THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN! THEY ARE AT THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE SLAVERY SPECTRUM!

BUT THEY HAVE A JOB, JUST LIKE THE REST OF US (HOWEVER CUSHY IT MAY BE!). THEY CAN QUIT AND WORK SOMEWHERE ELSE IF THEY PREFER. IT GETS FRUSTRATING WORKING IN THE SAME PLACE YOUR ENTIRE LIFE.

THE DIFFERENCE IS, WE DON'T MAKE ANYWHERE NEAR 20 MILLION A YEAR. IF WE DID, WE PROBABLY WOULDN'T HAVE TO MAKE OUR JOBS MORE ENJOYABLE BY PLAYING ON SONGFACTS 8 HOURS A DAY.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :soapbox: