OLD 55's Yearly Top 10 Singles Of The Rock Era

OLD 55

I wonder if any of our "overseas" friends have ever heard it Katie ? Thanks for the words - I only know the chorus. My Wife's much better than me with lyrics.

Wait'll we hit them with "Farewell Aunty Jack" (1974) and "Australiana" (1983). Do you reckon you could please find the lyrics of those, and post them for the corresponding years when we get to them? I'll find a pic of "Aunty Jack".

:)

Not a problem, Old55! Did you know that Aunty Jack is touring Oz soon!?!?

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm too late to post under 1970...that's the year I was born and I'm happy to say that I know all the songs....even Mungo Jerry's!

The '70's were an interesting decade for sure, but since I was a kid, I mostly listened to the poppier side of the '70's and didn't hear about Deep Purple, Aerosmith and such until I was a teenager.

great year 55...My sister listened to alot of Three Dog Night, I loved it!....I remember the song "Brand New Key" when we went to rollerskating parties at the school, they would always play that song...when I hear it, that's what I think of...and waiting for a cute boy to skate by and ask me to skate with him.... :P and I think I had the 45 of Donny Osmond's One Bad Apple...

Here's the U.S TOP TEN FOR 1972

1. THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE / ROBERTA FLACK

2. Alone Again (Naturally) / Gilbert O'Sullivan

3. I Can See Clearly Now / Johnny Nash

4. American Pie / Don McLean

5. Without You / Nilsson

6. The Candy Man / Sammy Davis Jr.

7. Lean On Me / Bill Withers

8. Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me / Mac Davis

9. Me And Mrs.Jones / Billy Paul

10.A Horse With No Name / America

SOME TRIVIA

#1 had been released unsuccessfully earlier, but became extremely popular when used in the original "female stalker" Movie, Play Misty For Me. Clint Eastwood made his Directing debut and also starred as the D.J. stalked by crazed fan Jessica Walter.

#3. Johnny Nash was backed by Bob Marley's Wailers. One of my all time favorite songs.

#4. A classic, supposedly about the deaths of Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and J.P. Richardson - The Big Bopper. Try to catch some of Don McLean's lesser known work. He's one of the finest singer/songwriters of our time.

#5. A beautiful song written by two members of the Beatles discovered Group, Badfinger, Pete Ham and Tom Evans. Both those poor souls later committed suicide by hanging themselves (at different times).

#6. A well deserved No.1 for the superb Sammy Davis Jr. A bright and breezy song from the Movie "Willie Wonka And The Chocolate Factory".

#10.Great song, great Group.

Top Song in the U.K. was Amazing Grace / Pipes And Drums And Military Band Of The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards. I kid you not ! A hymn written in 1779 by an ex slave-trader, John Newton.

In Australia we liked Ben / Michael Jackson, the title song of a gory Movie about a young man and his pet rat.

SOME BANDS FORMED IN 1972

Average White Band, B-B-Bachman Turner Overdrive,

Devo, Split Enz (New Zealand), Stealers Wheel, Steely Dan, 10CC. ALSO I forgot to mention one of my favorites, Roxy Music, in "1971" yesterday.

:)

Also, on a personal note, our eldest son was born this year. He's the most musical member of the family having played guitar for most of his life. Good on you Mate.

:guitar:

Old55 wrote:

#4. A classic, supposedly about the deaths of Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and J.P. Richardson - The Big Bopper. Try to catch some of Don McLean's lesser known work. He's one of the finest singer/songwriters of our time.

The anniversary of that day is only 3 days away, Darryl.

2-03-59 :(

Here's the U.S. TOP TEN FOR 1973

1. KILLING ME SOFTLY WITH HIS SONG / ROBERA FLACK

2. Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Ole Oak Tree / Dawn

3. My Love / Paul Mc Cartney & Wings

4. You're So Vain / Carly Simon

5. Crocodile Rock / Elton John

6. Will It Go Round In Circles / Billy Preston

7. Bad, Bad Leroy Brown / Jim Croce

8. The Most Beautiful Girl In The World / Charlie Rich

9. Half-Breed / Cher

10.Top Of The World / The Carpenters

11.The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia / Vicki Lawrence

12.Midnight Train To Georgia / Gladys Knight & The Pips

HAD to include #s 11 and 12 for Peaches.

They just missed out on the Top Ten in tiebreakers.

Just a couple of observations today. I'll leave the rest of the info (I don't like to call it "trivia") to anyone who'd like to contribute.

I believe "Killing Me Softly" is a PERFECT Pop Ballad and would be included in any "all time Greats" list of mine. It was inspired by a Don McLean live performance which one of the co-writers attended - and was obviously very moved by. Must have been to write such a beautiful song.

Another favorite of mine which reached #2 in 1973 is Goodbye Yellow Brick Road / Elton John. A Classic.

Top Song In The U.K.:

Blockbuster / The Sweet, 5 weeks at #1

Top Song In Australia:

Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Ole Oak Tree / Dawn, 10 weeks at #1.

11.The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia / Vicki Lawrence

12.Midnight Train To Georgia / Gladys Knight & The Pips

HAD to include #s 11 and 12 for Peaches.

They just missed out on the Top Ten in tiebreakers.

You are so sweet to think of me, my dear, sweet Old Fitty. You know how to make a girl blush, don't you? :googly:

I also love "Killing Me Softly..." I saw Roberta Flack in concert back in the 80s. It was just a small concert, but she gave it everything she had. I think she has one of the most pure voices I have ever heard.

Thanks again for these lists, Darryl. Going down memory lane can be fun if you try not to think of how long ago this all was. :grin: