OLD 55's Yearly Top 10 Singles Of The Rock Era

OLD 55

Here's a bit of variety from the boring Songfacts Top 10s. ;)

If you've never heard of these songs, ask your Mums & Dads, or Grandparents, and see what they think of of them !

All feedback (postive or negative) will be appreciated.

These were the Top Ten Singles Of 1955.

1. Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White / Perez Prado (Instrumental)

2. Sincerely / The McGuire Sisters

3. (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock / Bill Haley & His Comets

4. Sixteen Tons / Tennessee Ernie Ford

5. The Yellow Rose Of Texas / Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus

6. Love Is A Many Splendored Thing / Four Aces

7. The Ballad Of Davy Crockett / Bill Hayes

8. Let Me Go Lover / Joan Weber

9. Autumn Leaves / Roger Williams (Instrumental)

10.Unchained Melody / Les Baxter Orchestra & Chorus

:headphones:

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the feedback Psycho and Parralyse. :thumbsup:

If others like this thread and I submit yearly Top 10s on a regular basis, I think you'll be surprised just how many older songs have been covered by other artists, especially from the 1960s.

Take #10. There were 2 other Top 10 versions of "Unchained Melody" in 1955 by Al Hibbler and Roy Hamilton. The Righteous Brothers successfully revived it in 1965, and then their version was again a worldwide smash 25 years later after its inclusion in the movie "Ghost".

I have to see the video then... I think the scene on the beach is when they sing about each other, remembering, right? Then it would be "Summer Nights", but I might be wrong... here´s a link to the list of songs:

http://www.lyred.com/lyrics/Soundtracks/Grease/

There´s another song on the beach after they split... I don´t remember now, I only saw the film some 30 times... :laughing: But I´ll watch it again today...

Maybe you mean the very beginning of the song, before they´re with their friends on first school day... in any case, it´s not "Love is a many splendored thing"...

Edited by Guest

My cub scout group did a skit to 16 tons. We dressed up in authentic coal miners gear and each one of us sang a chorus of the song. This was circa 1959.

"Some people say a man is made out of blood,muscle and blood and skin and bone a mind that's weak and a back that's strong."

"YOu load 16 tons and what do you get, another day older and deeper in debt. St Peter don't you call me because I can't go. I owe my soul to the company store."

rtstuff

Marshall University, 1971

"Send in the Clones...." :grin:

I'm glad to see that a few of those were known. I forgot about "Love Is A Many Splendored Thing" being featured instrumentally in the Movie "Grease".

"Autumn Leaves" is a beautiful song. The more popular version here in Australia was the vocal by Nat King Cole. Sad, but lovely lyrics.

I can just see all those little Miners chipping away with their picks to "Sixteen Tons". I remember having to participate in school presentations and even have an acetate recording of me and about 29 other boys before-our-voices-broke singing "The Fishermen Of England". I've never heard of it before or since.

:)

Here's the Top 10 for 1956.

1. Don't Be Cruel : Hound Dog * / Elvis Presley

2. Singing The Blues / Guy Mitchell

3. Heartbreak Hotel / Elvis Presley

4. The Wayward Wind / Gogi Grant

5. The Poor People Of Paris / Les Baxter & His Orchestra (Instrumental)

6. Memories Are Made Of This / Dean Martin

7. Rock And Roll Waltz / Kay Starr

8. My Prayer / The Platters

9. Love Me Tender / Elvis Presley

10.I Almost Lost My Mind / Pat Boone

* These 2 songs were treated as a "Double A - side" in the U.S. "Don't Be Cruel" is usually shown first, because it was officially credited with more Airplay than "Hound Dog" at the time. (Just the opposite in the U.K.).

"Just Walking In The Rain" / Johnny Ray was the year's biggest Hit in the U.K., and in Australia we liked it best also.

:)

"Send in the Clones...." :grin:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

This time I know most of them... not #4 nor #5 though... Hey, I was supposed to be a new-born baby in 56... :)

I didn´t have time to watch Grease yesterday but I was wondering if I had alzheimer already... :P I couldn´t remember John Travolta and Olivia NJ singing "Love is a many etc..." on the beach... :laughing: So Katie, you were definitely right too... :bow: :bow: