OLD 55's Yearly Top 10 Singles Of The Rock Era

OLD 55

Well I'm a bit older than you ladies.

1956 was a big year for me, because I finished School in Year 10(not a moment too soon) and started work on the 17th December in a Bank.

Also, that was the year of Elvis. I used to spend most of my money on his records. My other big interest was Girls.

:)

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the TOP 10 FOR 1957.

1. ALL SHOOK UP / ELVIS PRESLEY

2. (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear / Elvis Presley

3. Jailhouse Rock / Elvis Presley

4. Love Letters In The Sand / Pat Boone

5. Young Love / Tab Hunter

6. April Love / Pat Boone

7. Tammy / Debbie Reynolds

8. Honeycomb / Jimmie Rodgers

9. Wake Up Little Susie / The Everly Brothers

10.You Send Me / Sam Cooke

In the U.K. and also here in Australia the Top Song was "Diana" / Paul Anka.

All of them Peaches ! Great. Elvis also had another #1 with "Too Much" in 1957.

Sam Cooke had a wonderful voice and also wrote some great songs. Tab Hunter was the glamor boy Movie Star (may not have been if the ladies had known he was gay. The studio kept it quiet). His version of "Young Love" wasn't a patch on Sonny James' original, Kevin, which is a classic. I reckon you'd know that one ?

Pat Boone is Debbie Boone's Dad, Laurie.

They're also descendants of frontiersman Daniel Boone.

Debbie Reynolds later married that creep Eddie Fisher who dumped her for Elizabeth Taylor. Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia of Star Wars) is their daughter.

Well many Happy Returns for 1958 RonJon ! :)

Here's the TOP 10 SINGLES OF 1958.

1. AT THE HOP / DANNY & THE JUNIORS

2. The Purple People Eater / Sheb Wooley

3. It's All In The Game / Tommy Edwards

4. Volare (Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu) / Domenico Modugno

5. Tequila / The Champs (Instrumental)

6. All I Have To Do Is Dream / Everly Brothers

7. Don't / Elvis Presley

8. The Chipmunk Song / David Seville & The Chipmunks

9. Sugartime / McGuire Sisters

10.He's Got The Whole World In His Hands / Laurie London

A very diverse year in Pop Music, with 23 #1s. It's probably best remembered for the great "sped up voices" Novelty Songs("Witch Doctor / David Seville" was the #11 song of the year).

Other bits of trivia:

*Sheb Wooley played "Pete" in the TV Western "Rawhide" which starred Clint Eastwood as "Rowdy Yates". Anyone seen re-runs of it ?.

*Tommy Edwards' song had been a #18 hit for him 8 years before.

* The Champs were named after screen cowboy Gene Autry's horse. Glen Campbell became a member in 1960.

*Laurie London was only 14 when he recorded this great gospel song. Try to catch the wonderful Mahalia Jackson's version of it, which only reached #69.

*This was the year when 45 rpm records commenced to be issued in stero commercially.

"Magic Moments" / Perry Como was the Biggest Song in the U.K. spending 8 weeks at the Top. It was the first Burt Bacharach/ Hal David composition to reach #1 in the world. (They'd have to wait another decade for their first U.S. #1).

In Australia, we couldn't get enough of the folk/pop Kingston Trio's "Tom Dooley".

I hope this isn't too much info. I don't want to bore you to death.

As the Mott the Hoople song says, I was "Born Late '58", so lot's of cool stuff happened before I arrived. i like to think I was icing on the cake..(but that would be rather conceited, who cares)...

I'm not sur I know #3 whicj I believe was number 1 on the day I was born...but I know the others.

Thanks for the info Mr. 55...

Thanks Joe. That is interesting. I didn't know it went that far back. I have a version by Louis Armstrong which I think was recorded in the 1940s.

Good on you RonJon. The icing on the cake ! :)

And Laurie knew all of those songs.

Anytime you'd like to throw in some in some extra info as Joe did, or just make general comments, that would be great.

:thumbsup:

Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare)

Domenico Modugno

- English words by Mitchell Parish

- Italian words by Domenico Modugno and F. Migliacci

- music by Domenico Modugno

Peaked #1 for August 4,1958

#7 for 1958

#64 for 1955-1959

#246 for the Top5000 of the Rock Era (55-94)

Dean Martin Peaked #12 on September 8,1958

#4948 for the Top5000 of the Rock Era (55-94)

The McGuire Sisters Peaked #80 on September 1, 1958

Bobby Rydell Peked #4 on September 5,1960

#60 for 1960

#2341 for the Top5000 of the Rock Era (55-94)

Al Martino Peaked #33 on December 20,1975

My parents had the Dean Martin Volare, and listened to it quite often....that's the version I know of....

Old Fitty, there's no such thing as too much info. I'll be a Jeopardy champion one day because of you, mark my words. :grin:

First of all, the year of RonJon's birth is definitely cause for celebration. :bow: Again, I knew all of the songs. I thought the Chipmunks were more recent, for some reason. And I absolutely love "Sugartime". What a happy little ditty...

Sugar in the mornin'

Sugar in the evenin'

Sugar at suppertime

Be my little sugar

And love me all the time.

Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (Volare)

Domenico Modugno

#7 for 1958.

My parents had the Dean Martin Volare, and listened to it quite often....that's the version I know of....

Thanks for the info Laurie. It was also the Top "non English lyrics" song until "Macarena". I rate it at #4 using my system, because it topped Billboard's Hot 100 for 5 weeks from 18th August 1958. "Tequila", "All I Have To Do Is Dream", and "Don't" also topped various Charts for 5 weeks. It all depends on which one you use I suppose.

I liked the Dean Martin version best too. I've always been a fan of his.

Peaches and Joe, "Sugartime" is my favorite on that List. It'd qualify for the thread "Songs Which Make You Immediately Happy".

;)

Here's the TOP 10 Of 1959.

1. MACK THE KNIFE / BOBBY DARIN

2. The Battle Of New Orleans / Johnny Horton

3. Venus / Frankie Avalon

4. Stagger Lee / Lloyd Price

5. The Three Bells / The Browns

6. Come Softly To Me / The Fleetwoods

7. Lonely Boy / Paul Anka

8. Smoke Gets In Your Eyes / The Platters

9. Heartaches By The Number / Guy Mitchell

10.Sleepwalk / Santo & Johnny (Instrumental)

Not one Rock 'N' Roll song in the lot ! Nor in 1958 neither.

Let's see - Nos. 1, 4, 5, 8 are reworkings of older songs.

Frankie Avalon was in those fun "Beach" movies with Annette Funicello, and appeared as "Teen Angel" in "Grease" where he sang "Beauty School Dropout".

"Sleepwalk" gets my vote for the Best Instrumental of the Rock and Roll Era. It's been covered by a lot of different guitarists over the years.

The #1 Hit in the U.K. was "Living Doll" / Cliff Richard and The Drifters , who soon after changed their name to the "Shadows". There was already a "Drifters" in the U.S. of course !

In Australia, our favorite was "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" / The Platters. What a great Group they were.

A local Band, Col Joye and the Joy Boys, had 3 #1s that year, so they were the top act here. One of those songs "Oh Yeah Uh Huh" had a very different intro. A clicking sound, which was actally a typewriter put to music.

Well I know 1,3,4,7,8,and 10 I'm not sure, I probably have heard it, but I just dont know it by name....Bobby Darin was one of my mother's favorites....My sister and I use to listen to Mack The Knife...we would be snapping our fingers and adding in a few of our own "hey, hey, hey's" in between lyrics...and laughing....we had a good time. :)

Old Fitty, there's no such thing as too much info. I'll be a Jeopardy champion one day because of you, mark my words. :grin:

First of all, the year of RonJon's birth is definitely cause for celebration. :bow: Again, I knew all of the songs. I thought the Chipmunks were more recent, for some reason. And I absolutely love "Sugartime". What a happy little ditty...

Sugar in the mornin'

Sugar in the evenin'

Sugar at suppertime

Be my little sugar

And love me all the time.

Thank you for the kind comment my dear...