OLD 55's Yearly Top 10 Singles Of The Rock Era

OLD 55

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Shawna and Brad. I didn't know Neil Sedaka had done a version of it. He was originally a member of The Tokens, but left to go solo before their Hit.

;)

By my response to Shawna, I didn't mean "right you are, Shawna" about Neil Sedaka recording the song.

I meant "right you are, Shawna" about someone else recording the song, which was Robert John.

Sorry for the confusion. I should have made the statement a little clearer.

Neil Sedaka did not record the song.

I think Joey Dee still plays throughout NJ at parks and fairs and malls....I've heard it's a great show. I'll try to find something on it.

the current line up.....

Joey Dee – Master Show-Man

Joey gained fame at the world famous Peppermint Lounge, on major TV shows, European tours, and starred in twist movies. He toured the USA for four decades.

Peppermint Twist

What Kind of Love is This

Shout

Hot Pastrami/Mashed Potatoes

David Brigati – Original Starliter

David toured the world with Joey Dee and went on to sing and arrange the vocals on the Rock ‘n Roll Hall of Fame’s Rascals platinum hits as the “5th Rascal.â€

Good Lovin’

Groovin’

Beautiful Morning

How Can I Be Sure

People Gotta Be Free

Lonely Too Long

Bobby Valli – A Singer’s Singer

Bobby hauntingly recreates his brother’s, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons’, platinum hits.

My Eyes Adored You

Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You

Oh, What a Night

Workin’ My Way Back to You

Swearin’ to God

Dawn

Save it for Me

Walk Like a Man

Opus 17

Bye, Bye Baby

These three harmony-men recreate New Jersey’s finest vocal groups…

EVER!!!

Well I really enjoyed those posts. I read every word in that link to the Del Shannon site. I can't believe it's 20 years since "Crime Story" first screened on TV. It looked like he was on the comeback trail when "Runaway" was used for the theme. Has Prozac been banned now ? I remember it being hailed as the new wonder anti-depressant when it was new, but it's received some bad reports.

Joey Dee would be older than me. Once a Musician, always a Musician. Good on him. And Frankie Valli's brother sings with him !

I read that wrong Brad. I thought Neil Sedaka just may have recorded it too, because I found that he was one of the original Tokens. Didn't know that until I read it in one of my Books.

:)

Here's the TOP TEN SINGLES OF 1963

1. SUGAR SHACK / JIMMY GILMER & THE FIREBALLS

2. He's So Fine / The Chiffons

3. Dominique / The Singing Nun

4. Hey Paula / Paul And Paula

5. Blue Velvet / Bobby Vinton

6. Fingertips - Part 2 / Little Stevie Wonder

7. My Boyfriend's Back / The Angels

8. Sukiyaki / Kyu Sakamoto

9. I Will Follow Him / Little Peggy March

10.Walk Like A Man / The 4 Seasons

Even though I have them numbered 1 to 10, there wasn't much between ALL of those songs - no real "standout" for the year. A group of pleasant songs; my personal favorites are probably the ones by the "Polish Prince" Bobby Vinton and the 4 Seasons.

MORE excitement in the U.K. where a new Group called The Beatles had taken off ! The Top 3 songs were: "From Me To You", "She Loves You" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand".

A phenomenal year for U.K. artists on their Charts in fact, as they occupied the #1 position for 51 weeks! Elvis Presley was the only Non Brit to go to #1 with "You're The Devil In Disguise" for 1 week.

In Australia we were really into surfing music, and made "Pipeline / The Chantays" our Top Song for the year. (I think it's the greatest surfing instrumental ever. Sorry Dick Dale!) Two local Groups also had big surfing instrumental Hits: "Bombora"/ The Atlantics and "Surfside" / The Denvermen.

Pipeline is one heck of a surf song and Dick Dale might be with you on your sentiments.

I can honestly say 1963 was the first year I became aware of popoular music. My sister turned 11 in october of '63 and I turned 5 in October of 1963.....by having sis getting into music, my mind was soaking it all in. I bet i know music from '63 forward better than she does.

I know all these songs...didn't George Harrison write a song a lot like your #2 pick???

I just love these top tens, Old Fitty. It's amazing to me that Stevie has been putting out music for over 40 years. He is truly (forgive the bad pun) Wonder-ful. I've always thought "Sukiyaki" was a beautiful song.

I had a huge crush on a boy when I was in high school, and I used to sing "I Will Follow Him" while I followed him in the hallways. How embarassing...and a little creepy. :P What's even more embarassing is that this happened in the 80s and I was singing a 20 year old song. I'd go back and smack myself if I could.

^ I'm dorking myself. :grin:

I just love these top tens, Old Fitty. It's amazing to me that Stevie has been putting out music for over 40 years. He is truly (forgive the bad pun) Wonder-ful. I've always thought "Sukiyaki" was a beautiful song.

I had a huge crush on a boy when I was in high school, and I used to sing "I Will Follow Him" while I followed him in the hallways. How embarassing...and a little creepy. :P

I never thought of "I Will Follow Him" as a stalkers anthem.....until now....

I looked up the lyrics to see exactly how stalker-ish they were, and almost fell out of my chair. All the "him"s were capitalized. Is she talking about God? I never once in my life considered that possiblility, but it makes perfect sense. I've been singing that song for as long as I can remember...I'll be dipped.

:doh:

I will follow Him,

Follow Him wherever He may go,

And near Him, I always will be

For nothing can keep me away,

He is my destiny.

I will follow Him,

Ever since He touched my heart I knew,

There isn´t an ocean too deep,

A mountain so high it can keep,

Keep me away, away from His love.

I love Him, I love Him, I love Him,

And where He goes,

I´ll follow, I´ll follow, I´ll follow.

I will follow Him,

Follow Him wherever He may go,

Keep me away, away from His love...

I love Him

(Oh yes I love Him)

I´ll follow

(I´m gonna follow)

True love

(He´ll always be my true, true love)

Forever

(Now until forever)

I love Him, I love Him, I love Him,

And where He goes,

I´ll follow, I´ll follow, I´ll follow,

He´ll always be my true love,

My true love, my true love,

From now until forever,

Forever, forever...

Keep me away, away from His love.

Pipeline is one heck of a surf song and Dick Dale might be with you on your sentiments.

I know all these songs...didn't George Harrison write a song a lot like your #2 pick???

A big thumbs up on Pipeline. :thumbsup:

He sure did. Please tell us about it RonJon. ;)

OK....

"My Sweet Lord"'s resemblance to the early Sixties Chiffons hit "He's So Fine" did not escape the notice of the latter's publisher, Bright Tunes, and in late 1976 a judge ruled George guilty of "unconscious plagiarism" and ordered him to fork over a portion of the Harrisong's accumulated royalties. These were doubtless considerable; as John Lennon said in late 1970: "Every time I put the radio on it's 'oh my Lord' -- I'm beginning to think there must be a God!"

Note: I think the total exceeded $500,000.

I heard Sting say he wrote this about stalking, but people interpreted it as a love song:

Every breath you take

Every move you make

Every bond you break

Every step you take

I'll be watching you

Every single day

Every word you say

Every game you play

Every night you stay

I'll be watching you

O can't you see

You belong to me

How my poor heart aches with every step you take

Every move you make

Every vow you break

Every smile you fake

Every claim you stake

I'll be watching you

Since you've gone I been lost without a trace

I dream at night I can only see your face

I look around but it's you I can't replace

I keep crying baby please

Every move you make

Every vow you break

Every smile you fake

Every claim you stake

I'll be watching you

Here's the TOP TEN SINGLES OF 1962.

1. I CAN'T STOP LOVING YOU / RAY CHARLES

2. Big Girls Don't Cry / The 4 Seasons

3. Sherry / The 4 Seasons

4. Roses Are Red (My Love) / Bobby Vinton

5. The Peppermint Twist / Joey Dee & The Starliters

6. Telstar / The Tornados (Instrumental)

7. Duke Of Earl / Gene Chandler

8. Hey!Baby / Bruce Channel

9. Soldier Boy / The Shirelles

10.The Twist / Chubby Checker

Man, in 1962 I was 16 and I was The Duke Of Earl.

Thanks for the input all. You were a "little girl" Laurie. :)

"Duke Of Earl" was used for a shampoo commercial here in Australia, maybe a decade ago? The shampoo was "Decore", and they'd sing "Dec, Dec, Dec, Dec - or -ay" instead of "Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke Of Earl". It was a good commercial ( except for the opaque shower screens when Mum and Big Sister were showering).

:grin:

I never had the record "Telstar" but I think it had a picture sleeve of Sputnik ???

Just working on the 1964 Top Ten now. Bet you can't guess who's #1, 2 and 3. ;)

No, they're not ! However, The Beatles had 6 #1s for 1964, and on the April 4 Chart they held down the Top Five positions. Remarkable ! Top Girl Group The Supremes had a great year also with 3 #1s.

Here's the TOP 10 FOR 1964.

1. I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND / THE BEATLES

2. Can't Buy Me Love / The Beatles

3. There! I've Said It Again / Bobby Vinton

4. Baby Love / The Supremes

5. Oh, Pretty Woman / Roy Orbison

6. Chapel Of Love / The Dixie Cups

7. The House Of The Rising Sun / The Animals

8. I Feel Fine / The Beatles

9. She Loves You / The Beatles

10.I Get Around / The Beach Boys

The Beatles also topped the U.K. Yearly Charts with "I Feel Fine" . U.K. acts again dominated the year, with Roy Orbison and The Supremes being the only overseas acts to reach #1.

We were swept up in Beatlemania in Australia too, where they had 6 #1 Singles and a #1 E.P. (Extended Play 45, containing 4 Songs). "A Hard Day's Night" spent 9 weeks at #1. My favorite "early" Beatles Song "She Loves You" was kept from the #1 spot (by other Beatles' songs) but spent a then record 42 weeks in our Top 40.

:guitar:

I was eight in 1964, I remember we lived in Barcelona for a while, in a friend´s house, and the kids were older and wanted to introduce me into The Beatles, though I was already a little fan, my dad had brought me their first record in 62... by then I already knew the trick: turn on the radio! :laughing:

I guess by 1964 I was already reading 16pinup...

In my world, The Beatles stand alone and their rise to the top of the charts was amazing. However, House of the Rising Sun is a standout song from '64. Keyboard, guitar, subject matter.. it was years ahead of it's time and it still gets a good deal of airplay.

The psychedelic version of House of the Rising Sun was done by Frijid Pink (maybe '67 or '68). It won't make a top 10 list, but I love that version too. Hey, it's a great song.

Great songs are great songs and can sound good in a variety of genres. Yesterday I heard a Blue Grass band doing Whole Lotta Love and it was wonderful.

1964 was the start of market domination by The Beatles. It wasn't just media hype that helped them soar to the top. Just listen to those songs. Great stuff.