OLD 55's Yearly Top 10 Singles Of The Rock Era

OLD 55

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember going shopping on my lunch break at work. I stopped to get a sandwich and a bunch of teenage girls kept singing "Stay" by Lisa Loeb over and over again while I waited for my sandwich. Still didn't make me hate the song, though.

"Here Comes the Hot Stepper" was used in the movie "Ready to Wear" by Robert Altman, right? Anyway, I loved to dance around to that.

"Here Comes the Hot Stepper" was used in the movie "Ready to Wear" by Robert Altman, right? Anyway, I loved to dance around to that.

Right on Jenny. :thumbsup: Although I didn't see it. I used to have to be dragged kicking and screaming to Julia Roberts' movies after "Pretty Woman". I DO like her later movies.

THE TOP 10 U.S. SINGLES FOR 1995

1. WATERFALLS / TLC

2. FANTASY / MARIAH CAREY

3. GANGSTA'S PARADISE / COOLIO f. L.V.

4. THIS IS HOW WE DO IT / MONTELL JORDAN

5. TAKE A BOW / MADONNA

6. CREEP / TLC

7. HAVE YOU REALLY EVER LOVED A WOMAN / BRYAN ADAMS

8. KISS FROM A ROSE / SEAL

9. EXHALE / WHITNEY HOUSTON

10.YOU ARE NOT ALONE / MICHAEL JACKSON

U.K. TOP 3

1. UNCHAINED MELODY:(THERE'LL BE BLUEBIRDS OVER) THE WHITE CLIFFS OF DOVER / ROBSON GREEN & JEROME FLYNN (U.K. DUO)

2. THINK TWICE / CELINE DION

3. EARTH SONG / MICHAEL JACKSON

AUSTRALIAN TOP 3

1. LET'S GROOVE / CDB (AUSTRALIAN GROUP)

2. ANOTHER NIGHT / REAL McCOY

3. GANGSTA'S PARADISE / COOLIO f. L.V.

The U.S. Charts virtually split into 3 Sections from here:

"Official" Hot 100 Chart

Sales Chart

Airplay Chart

This (in my opinion) was a retro step back to a similar way they were compiled until 1958. It means you can have more than one #1 at the same time.

It's just too difficult for me to work out a Yearly Top 10, so I've decided to make this my last Chart. Thanks to all who took the time to view them.

thatsallfolks.jpg

:guitar:

Thank YOU, Brad, Laurie, Edna and Rachel. :)

I've started a new Top Ten Quiz Thread in "Fun And Games" called OLD 55's DAILY TOP TEN. Can you Guess them from the Clues ?

Please drop in there and have a look at it. Love to see you there !

:headphones:

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I'm doing it again - Re-opening an old thread. The Rock Era is too good to pass up.

I think I scored 50% or better for each of the three years listed without talking to Mom, Dad or any of my Grandparents ! (All six are six feet under).

My pick of favourites from the three years are:

 Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White – (Forget who the vocal artist is)

 Sixteen Tons – (Wish I had a whole CD of Tennessee Ernie Ford)

 Singing the Blues – (I like the voice quality and easy style of Guy Mitchell)

 Wayward Wind – (Not sure I heard other songs by Gogi Grant)

 Wake Up Little Susie – (The Everly Brothers are my 'anytime' favourites)

Not in the lists, but Paul Anka's Diana & Papa are my all time favourites too.

What happened to Pat Boone's Bernardine. Did'nt it make the charts? Or was that another year?

There's a couple of vocal versions of Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White. U.S. 40s/50s singer Alan Dale did one, and Les Baxter and his Orchestra & Chorus had one on an album. I seem to remember a female lead voice on that? The main 2 versions were by Perez Prado (as Brad said) and U.K. trumpeter Eddie Calvert (the bigger Hit there) in 1955, but they were both instrumental.

The story goes that once a cherry tree

Beside an apple tree did grow

and there a boy once met his bride to be

Long long ago

Paul Anka's Diana would have been just outside the 1957 Top Ten. I don't know Papa at all. Not Eddie Fisher's 1953 Oh! My Pa-Pa ?

Bernadine got a lot of airplay, but it was overshadowed by the A side of the record, Love Letters In The Sand.

I believe the Everly Brothers are the greatest vocal DUO ever !

:)

Thanks Brad. No, I have not heard "Suddenly there's a Valley".

The Golden Oldies are really hard to come by. My participation in this thread is mainly based on what I used to hear on the radio as a kid, not from my record collections. Often my voting is based on Artist if I have not heard the song, other times I recognise the title, but looking at the Artist's name, wonder if it is the same song at the back of my head.

Old55, Thanks for your info too.

Edited by Guest
Typo and addition