OLD 55's Yearly Top 10 Singles Of The Rock Era

OLD 55

55, you are right about the Billy Vera song. They released it, it did nothing, then they used it on Family Ties. The public loved it and it got released again and it hit big. The power of TV. I always felt embarrased for Grace Slick being in Jefferson Starship.They had a few good songs, but most was sop. Especially, We Built This City. :thumbsdown: :sleepy:

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 wrote:

I'll have to confess that I can't recall #9. I read that it was first recorded in 1981, but became popular in 86/87 when it was used on TV's "Family Ties" starring Michael J. Fox. That was one of our favorite shows, so I'd probably know it if I heard it.

Here's a 30 second sound clip of the song, Darryl.

"At This Moment" - Billy Vera & the Beaters

I have to admit...I just hate this list....I've hated most of the '80's lists....but, enough from me....

I´m sorry to say so but once again, I agree with RonJon. I can´t find a single song that I like on that chart... I even remember I was working in another TV show and looking for some good music but all I recall is some Brezilian music, David Byrne solo or some bands I saw live during the New Music Seminar in New York...

oooh Love BonJovi....my favorites from this list are:

Livin On A Prayer........

Once they became Starship, I wasn't too crazy about their songs.

Don't you listen to those fuddy duddies Laurie. Livin' On A Prayer is a classic ! ;)

How about Sara from Starship ? It makes up for their other two #1s :)

1987 was my senior year. Oh, George Michael! I loved him so much. I wasn't attracted to him...I knew better, even way back then. :grin: The whole "Faith" CD reminds me of the summer after graduation. "Kissing a Fool" is one of my favorite songs by him.

And I liked Rick Astley! He had a great voice. It's still hard to believe that such a voice came out of that red headed, freckle faced little white boy. I enjoyed his version of "When I Fall in Love"

It's funny to see Kylie Minogue on the 1987 charts. Who'da thunk she'd turn into such a brazen tart? I like it...it gives old ladies such as myself hope. :laughing:

Peaches......I didn't listen to George Michael until I first heard One More Try. I really liked that song. I listened to a few more songs and I thought hey, not too bad. I have always thought he put that extra umph into his songs, somewhat like he had a passion to sing. One More Try is definitely one of those songs.

I think I will pull out his Greatest Hits CD since I haven't listened to him in a long while.

THE U.S. TOP TEN FOR 1988

1. ROLL WITH IT / STEVE WINWOOD

2. EVERY ROSE HAS ITS THORN / POISON

3. ONE MORE TRY / GEORGE MICHAEL

4. THE FLAME / CHEAP TRICK

5. DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY / BOBBY McFERRIN

6. A GROOVY KIND OF LOVE / PHIL COLLINS

7. SWEET CHILD O' MINE / GUNS N' ROSES

8. LOOK AWAY / CHICAGO

9. NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP / RICK ASTLEY *

10.ANYTHING FOR YOU / GLORIA ESTEFAN & MIAMI SOUND MACHINE

* Charted 1987 in U.K. and Australia.

How do you rate this lot ? ;)

Let's see: I'll go for the Rockers. Cheap Trick were always one of my favorite Bands, and our youngest daughter played GNR and Poison so much I got to like these two songs (at least) by them.

U.K. TOP 3

1. I SHOULD BE SO LUCKY / KYLIE MINOGUE

2. THE ONLY WAY IS UP / YAZZ & THE PLASTIC POPULATION

3. NOTHING'S GONNA CHANGE MY LOVE FOR YOU / GLENN MEDEIROS *

*Recorded in 1986. Charted 1987 U.S. and Australia.

AUSTRALIAN TOP 3

1. KOKOMO / THE BEACH BOYS

2. (I'VE HAD) THE TIME OF MY LIFE / BILL MEDLEY & JENNIFER WARNES *

3. SIMPLY IRRESISTIBLE / ROBERT PALMER

*Entered our Charts in 1987.

Let's see: I'll go for the Rockers. Cheap Trick were always one of my favorite Bands, and our youngest daughter played GNR and Poison so much I got to like these two songs (at least) by them.

:thumbsup:

I'll go for the rockers also...Cheap Trick and Poison....but I don't care for Guns and Roses.

I´d save Cheap Trick. There was a lack of creativity by the late 80s... I remember I used to read the charts every day at work and we were astonished to see how the old ones charted again... we had seen new romantics, techno, dark, punk, etc in the last decade, mainly very young people with lots of new ideas, and suddenly it was all back to Phil Collins, Paul McCartney, Elton John or even Beatles re-editions. I mean, the weekly charts, not the ones you post, Darryl...