OLD 55

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 wrote:

Great song! One of my favorite 80's songs. :thumbsup:

I LOVE this song too, I was listening to it today turned up very loud :D

I agree that a lot of good music came out of the 80's. I was watching 'The Top 40 Songs Of 1980' on VH1 the other day and great song after great song just kept coming up. So even though that was only one year, it set the tone for the decade.

AND one of my favourite tv shows, The Young Ones, started in the 80's :D

Better get a T - Shirt for Edna too !

Then you have to post your photos on this thread for our "Mrs. Dry T-Shirt" competition.

;)

Thanks, Darryl, I have one T-shirt already... and also the picture! :grin: I was waiting for Laurie to be a land shark so we could share status... ;)

Now we´re going to try to get new tittles for the 20.000 posts... like the Badfinger fish for Laurie or the KeithRichards Fish for myself... though I´d gladly leave that tittle for Sammy -whom we miss very much here at home :bow: :bow:- and accept a Beatle Fish or White Rabbit fish for me...

Yes, a White Rabbit Fish would be grat!!! :laughing:

I LOVE this song too, I was listening to it today turned up very loud :D

I agree Katie ! One of Mrs.55's favorites too. Brad, I know you're very knowledgable, but I'm surprised that you know it. I didn't think it would get airplay in the U.S.

:)

One thing I should have mentioned before in my post was that we only got FM radio in Australia in 1980 ! And that was because a frequency which had been reserved for an additional TV station was made available for it. But we DID have Video Hits T.V. shows in Australia before MTV commenced in the U.S. And we played songs by Black Artists, which MTV was apparently reluctant to do ? I wish we didn't now though - Hip Hop. Aaaaagh. What's happened to all the great black Soul artists ?

:P

Fifty, good job. Everytime I hear (Just Like) Starting Over, it's a little sad, because it reminds me of John's last days. We'll never know what other great accomplishments he could have achieved. Whenever, I go visit my family in NY, I go to Strawberry Fields in Central Park. Many, many people still do.

55 wrote:

Brad, I know you're very knowledgable, but I'm surprised that you know it. I didn't think it would get airplay in the U.S.

I believe that was the only song by Split Enz that did get airplay, although it didn't make the U.S. Top 40.

Another song that I loved a lot that got some airplay but didn't hit our Top 40 was a song titled "The Walls Came Down" by a group called The Call.

I bought a few Cds of the Just Can't Get Enough New Wave Hits Of The 80's series and also Living In Oblivion series which covers a lot of great songs.

You can check them out at the amazon links below.

Just Can't Get Enough New Wave Hits Of The 80's series

Living In Oblivion The 80's greatest hits series

Edited by Guest

Thanks Phil. Yes I believe John could have gone on to greater things, perhaps in public office, although that may not have been his thing because he was probably too outspoken and too honest. Maybe as a U.N. Peace Ambassador or something similar. He was certainly a brilliant Musician. Such a shame that he'd only really resumed his career with the "Double Fantasy" Album when that sicko shot him seven times.

But we DID have Video Hits T.V. shows in Australia before MTV commenced in the U.S. And we played songs by Black Artists, which MTV was apparently reluctant to do ? I wish we didn't now though - Hip Hop. Aaaaagh. What's happened to all the great black Soul artists ?

COUNTDOWN!

countdown.gif

1974 - 1987

Count Down, hosted by Ian 'Molly' Meldrum, had everyone who was anyone on it, all the international bands and singers that visited Australia around that time.

Unfortunately, I was only three years old when the show ended, but my parents watched it all the time :D

Fifty, I agree, what has happened to good soul music. Marvin Gaye, Al Green, James Brown, Teddy Pendergrass, Aretha Franklin,Stevie Wonder, Motown, Stax, ... so much great music. Now we have Jamie Foxx, Kanye West,P Frickin' Diddy. Just some of the lamest music I have ever had the misfortune of listening to. They wonder why CD sales are down? This is totally forgetable drivel.

Here's the U.S. TOP TEN SINGLES OF 1981.

1. PHYSICAL / OLIVIA NEWTON - JOHN (10 weeks @ #1)

2. Endless Love / Diana Ross & Lionel Richie (9 weeks @ #1)

3. Bette Davis Eyes / Kim Carnes * (9 weeks @ #1)

4. Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do) / Christopher Cross **

5. Kiss On My List / Hall & Oates

6. Jessie's Girl / Rick Springfield ***

7. Celebration / Kool & The Gang

8. 9 To 5 / Dolly Parton ****

9. I Love A Rainy Night / Eddie Rabbitt

10.Private Eyes / Hall & Oates

There were 6 other #1s. Here they are in order.

11.Morning Train ( 9 To 5) / Sheena Easton *****

12.Rapture / Blondie

13.Keep On Loving You / REO Speedwagon

14.The Tide Is High / Blondie

15.Stars On 45 Medley / Stars On 45

16.The One That You Love / Air Supply

A good year for Aussies in the U.S., with Olivia, Rick Springfield and Air Supply all topping the Charts. In fact ALL great songs; I can't see one I don't like in the 16.

* Won both major Grammys: Record Of The Year and Song Of The Year for its writers, Donna Weiss and Jackie DeShannon.

** Won the Oscar for Best Song from a Movie.

*** A fairly successful musician in Australia, but his career took off when he moved to the U.S. and played "Noah Drake" in T.V.'s "General Hospital".

**** Won Grammys for Best Country Song and Best Country Vocal Female.

***** In the U.K. (where it originated) it was just called "9 To 5", but so as not to confuse it with Dolly Parton's song, it was changed to "Morning Train (9 To 5)" in the U.S. and "9 To 5 (Morning Train)" in Australia. Now I'm confused !

U.K. TOP 3

1. Don't You Want Me / Human League

2. Stand And Deliver / Adam And The Ants

3. Imagine / John Lennon

(Re-Issue of John's 1971 Classic, which previously charted in the U.K. 1975)

AUS. TOP 3

1. Bette Davis Eyes / Kim Carnes

2. Jealous Guy / Roxy Music (A 'Tribute' to John Lennon)

3. Endless Love / Diana Ross & Lionel Richie

Some Australian Charts have "Time Warp" by the Rocky Horror Show Movie Cast as being Song of the Year. The Movie suddenly gained Cult status here in 1981. Wasn't it released in the U.S. some years earlier ? It was very big here, with one Theatre showing it solely for about 6 months straight.

:)

Smooth music seems to be the main thing...

I was working in the Hall&Oates record company in that year, I remember the tons of pages I had to write about them... :laughing: I liked them a lot... and there was also the Motown and the Chrysalis catalogue (Blondie, Depeche Mode, Ultravox...)