I don't know if any of you know this, but I am someone who is very fond of the sounds of different music instruments. There is something that has had me confused for what seems like years. What is th

babyteen

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There she goes again!

Could you please be so kind as to explain to me what you mean when you say, "There she goes again!"? Are you quoting a line in a song? Are you trying to put me down just because I said that I love Philadelphia? What is this leading to? Please tell me the truth!

Yep, it's a putdown all right. I recall the phrase "there you go again" was made famous by then-candidate Ronald Reagan during televised "debates" with Jimmy Carter's cabinet members during the 1980 presidential election campaign. I suspect that you're getting the business as a Newbie. As the Brits would say, "Sod off you rotters, at least I've got an opinion, something that requires..." (Insert appropriate term of derision, as in "functioning brain," "more than a Neanderthal brain," "a system that isn't poisoned by testosterone," etc.) :jester:

It's like this: you have only 116 posts. That counts as new here, regardless of how long you've been registered.

This is sort of like a sibling rivalry community, which means that since you have expressed your unconditional love for something/someone, you will be mercilessly teased about it until you stand up for yourself and tease back, or just ignore it and continue on like you never noticed it. It's the "breaking in" period, like a new pair of shoes.

By the way, I know someone who's in Philadelphia right now on business. Why anyone would voluntarily go to that place this time of year is so far beyond me as to be inconceivable. I told him to not freeze his *( off, because I like a man with all his bits. :grin: :grin: :grin:

This is sort of like a sibling rivalry community, which means that since you have expressed your unconditional love for something/someone, you will be mercilessly teased about it until you stand up for yourself and tease back, or just ignore it and continue on like you never noticed it.

Actually it´s more or less like the Phil Collins thing: some of us hate him, some of us love him, we joke about it all. So never mind, babyteen, keep on enjoying Philly, brotherly love, Songfacts, Kenny G and whatever makes you happy... :cool:

Bionic King? What's a Bionic King?

he's "bionic" because he just had a knee surgery last week... :)

and I believe the King part is a subjective assessment by Ronjon :grin: (that doesn't mean that I wouldn't agree with him, after all I don't know too many "bionic" people from Philadelphia :grin: )

Sorry, Edna, but that's not a very good analogy. EVERYBODY hates Phil Collins, including his own mother. And THAT'S no joke.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester:

But that's not true! I like Phil Collins. My Mother likes Phil Collins. I don't know of anyone who doesn't like him. And, how could he be hated by his own mother?

Could you please be so kind as to explain to me what you mean when you say, "There she goes again!"? Are you quoting a line in a song? Are you trying to put me down just because I said that I love Philadelphia? What is this leading to? Please tell me the truth!

Pretty self explanatory, I thought. Not meant in any sort hostile or derogatory way. Just a little teasing about your love of Philadelphia. No harm intended. Since you seem to take all comments seriously, I will refrain from joking with you anymore so that there are no more misunderstandings ;)

Maybe this will help you. Regarding the album "I Wanna Play For You":

Stanley Clarke stretches his muscles and comes up with a mostly impressive, polystylistic, star-studded double album (now on one CD) that gravitates ever closer to the R&B mainstream. Clarke's writing remains strong and his tastes remain unpredictable, veering into rock, electronic music, acoustic jazz, even reggae in tandem with British rocker Jeff Beck. Clarke's excursion into disco, "Just a Feeling," is surprisingly and infectiously successful, thanks to a good bridge and George Duke's galvanizingly funky work on the Yamaha electric grand piano (his finest moment with Clarke by far). The brief "Blues for Mingus," a wry salute from one master bassist to another (Mingus died about six months before this album's release), is a cool acoustic breather for piano trio, and the eloquent Stan Getz can be detected, though nearly buried under the garish vocals and rock-style mix, on "The Streets of Philadelphia." Yet even the talented Clarke in full creative flower couldn't quite fill a double set with new material, so he has a tendency to reprise some of his old memorable riffs a lot, and there are several energetic snapshots of his live band in action. In its zeal to get this two-LP set onto one disc, Epic deleted three of the original 15 tracks — including at least one gem, the sizzling hard rocker "All About" — and scrambled the order of the remaining tunes. Which is dumb, because the missing tracks only take up a bit less than 12 minutes of playing time, not enough to overload a 65-minute disc. Hunt for the double-LP version if you can still play vinyl.

As you can see Stan Getz is apparently the Sax player on the song you are looking for. Now click on this link: allmusic you'll find that Getz plays Tenor Sax on the album. It doesn't say that is the instrument he plays on that song, necessarily. Also, there are other saxophone players credited on the album so whether this is the definitive answer you are looking for, I don't know. Sometimes you have to go a roundabout way of looking for these things...

Does that in anyway solve your dilemma??

Edited by Guest

Unfortunately, it isn't exactly understandable for me. In other words, it's a little bit confusing, as I can't tell exactly what kind of sax is playing in this song. I have listened very carefully to the sax, but I can't seem to tell whether it's a Tenor, an Alto, or a Soprano Sax. How about this, Lucky. Would you like me to send you the song? What's your Email Address?

I doubt that would help. I personally don't know the difference at all. I'd go with the assumption that...1) per allmusic, it's Getz playing on the song, and 2) Getz is apparently playing tenor sax on the album, so I would think that equates to 3) Getz is playing tenor sax on the song. That's as much as I could figure out.

Merry Christmas. ;)